Rediscovering the Dream Car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
What would you people do if you could buy back the 1 that got away.

Ok some history of my first HG Monaro, its a long story sorry.

As about an 8yo kid I seen a car and instantly fell in love with it HG GTS Monaro.I knew right then in no uncertain terms that I would one day own that exact car not one like it but that exact car. I told everyone that that car would be mine one day every time I seen it. I got a job as a paper boy just so I could one day purchase this car and saved flat out. Some years later I started my apprenticeship at 16 and still kept saving for that one car I knew would be mine. One day my mum came home and said Luke you know that car you want I saw the owner at the bakery today, so I asked him if he wanted to sell it he said yes what do you think. I went straight to his house and got it that afternoon couldn't of been happier. I spent the next year or 2 driving it everywhere had huge fun in it.

Then I started a bare metal resto spent weeks under that car sanding, painting, polishing,rebuilding crap, modified all the brake, changed the diff to a 9in lsd, went for a stroker SBC and a top loader. Then got an original LS7 but couldn't get the dominator carb I wanted anywhere at the time so went back to a 366 with some nos and a turbo box. I knew this car inside out and backward done 90% of everything on it and mostly on my own. It was mine I loved it and swore I would die owning this car.

Fast forward to the ripe old age of 24 I did die, twice in fact once on the road side and again in the operating theatre. I had a very serious motorcycle accident and my life changed I had a shed full of what are Australia's top dog muscle cars a couple of Harleys and no immediate income any more. So while I went through that whole process of rehab and recovery and just getting used to the idea that life was going to be different the toys started to get sold off. I couldn't bear to sell my Monaro, there was this young 15yo kid that used to bug me had done for about 3 years before my accident he wanted my car so I thought hey this kid loves it almost as much as I do so in the end I sold it to him. It made me physically sick to see it go I was actually retching as it went out the drive way, man I was so low I couldn't function for the rest of the day.

16 years later life moves on. I moved across the country and back more than once. I went back to playing with cars and bike liked a lot of them never loved any like that Monaro. Have a good job been playing with my latest big block toy all in all life is great. Then out of the blue I make contact with the kid 2 days ago by accident. We start talking he still lives where he used too half a continent away and he still owns the Monaro and its almost exactly the same as when I sold it still in excellent condition. Different wheels and some modern engine dress up parts being the only changes. He says I would never sell this car but if I did sell it to anyone it would only be you Luke.

Well that's where we are at people I can buy it now if I want. The prices of these muscle cars have gone through the roof its more than I really want to pay but that's what they are worth and what price can you put on nostalgia. The sentimental value alone makes me want to pick up the phone and say take my money. The brain says no.

Gents if this was you what would you do

First 4 pictures are of it now the last 3 are from when it was mine.

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

nvb7nr.jpg

xe0pe1.jpg

2hqup0i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luke,

Thanks for sharing. My response would be that assuming the car would come up for sale for you, then there are two factors at work here. Two decisions to be made in fact. Try to be as realistic as possible.

Can i really afford to buy this car, and secondly, how bad do i really want to own this car again. Think that over carefully. For me, if it's a big desire/heart/emotional thing that's going on in my head, then that usually wins out at the end of the day.

As they say, life's too short, and you won't be taking it with you, so enjoy now while you can.

Greg.:)

Hi Luke,

Thanks for sharing. My response would be that assuming the car would come up for sale for you, then there are two factors at work here. Two decisions to be made in fact. Try to be as realistic as possible.

Can i really afford to buy this car, and secondly, how bad do i really want to own this car again. Think that over carefully. For me, if it's a big desire/heart/emotional thing that's going on in my head, then that usually wins out at the end of the day.

As they say, life's too short, and you won't be taking it with you, so enjoy now while you can.

Greg.:)
It's for sale to me right now and I want it bad. It's a bit more than I want to pay but it's do able. Greg as you know the price of these cars has got ridiculous but on the flip side they ain't getting cheaper. So I am torn mate

I still give my head a shake... I purchased my current restoration project this past summer for an insane amount of money and it needed a full restoration... At the end of the day, I wanted it, I had to have it and I went out and made it happen.

One day, I will look back and say it was worth it, but right now a complete money pit and time consuming endeavour.

I will never get all of my money out of the car, but that is not what is important to me, I want to re-live the dream and do so in my own way. I will ensure that there is a good return on the investment, but very few ever make $$ on these old cars.

As part of my purchase, I traded a very nice '73 vert that now belongs to a member on this board. I could have driven it for years as is, but my heart was set on a return to the '71 BB Mustangs and when this '71 vert came along that was it. Fortunately, I had my '73 to use a partial trade or the purchase would not have happened.

Do it while you can, and as long as you can afford it! Cheers

Life is short and if it means that much to you, go for it. Just think about it for a few days and mull it over until your initial urge settles down and you know it is the right thing to do. I assume you could always resell it and at least break even if you decide not to keep it.

I have been criticized over the years for going, doing, buying and trying too many things and wasting my money. I am 67 I own 11 mustangs in various stages of disrepair 7 are convertibles. I turned down several that I should have bought. When I see something I want I give it 24 hours and if I still want it I go for it.

Many told me that I should wait until I retired to travel, I didn't have been in every state in U.S. but new England area and Hawaii, hate hot weather. I had a white water rafting business in the 70's, snow skied for years, sky dived, jumped the highest bungy jump in world 4 times in Africa. I have visited Africa 14 times spent 16 months in China and to Germany 3 trips. Me and my son raced go carts when I was in my 40's, that was a blast, he never beat me.

I own my home and debt free and do what I want. Never been wealthy, as stated you can't take it with you. My son will have a nice car collection, garage and home but not much money, lol.

If you really want the car back go for it. My daughter passed away at 46 so you never know what the future has.

No Regrets,

David

What would you people do if you could buy back the 1 that got away.

Ok some history of my first HG Monaro, its a long story sorry.

As about an 8yo kid I seen a car and instantly fell in love with it HG GTS Monaro.I knew right then in no uncertain terms that I would one day own that exact car not one like it but that exact car. I told everyone that that car would be mine one day every time I seen it. I got a job as a paper boy just so I could one day purchase this car and saved flat out. Some years later I started my apprenticeship at 16 and still kept saving for that one car I knew would be mine. One day my mum came home and said Luke you know that car you want I saw the owner at the bakery today, so I asked him if he wanted to sell it he said yes what do you think. I went straight to his house and got it that afternoon couldn't of been happier. I spent the next year or 2 driving it everywhere had huge fun in it.

Then I started a bare metal resto spent weeks under that car sanding, painting, polishing,rebuilding crap, modified all the brake, changed the diff to a 9in lsd, went for a stroker SBC and a top loader. Then got an original LS7 but couldn't get the dominator carb I wanted anywhere at the time so went back to a 366 with some nos and a turbo box. I knew this car inside out and backward done 90% of everything on it and mostly on my own. It was mine I loved it and swore I would die owning this car.

Fast forward to the ripe old age of 24 I did die, twice in fact once on the road side and again in the operating theatre. I had a very serious motorcycle accident and my life changed I had a shed full of what are Australia's top dog muscle cars a couple of Harleys and no immediate income any more. So while I went through that whole process of rehab and recovery and just getting used to the idea that life was going to be different the toys started to get sold off. I couldn't bear to sell my Monaro, there was this young 15yo kid that used to bug me had done for about 3 years before my accident he wanted my car so I thought hey this kid loves it almost as much as I do so in the end I sold it to him. It made me physically sick to see it go I was actually retching as it went out the drive way, man I was so low I couldn't function for the rest of the day.

16 years later life moves on. I moved across the country and back more than once. I went back to playing with cars and bike liked a lot of them never loved any like that Monaro. Have a good job been playing with my latest big block toy all in all life is great. Then out of the blue I make contact with the kid 2 days ago by accident. We start talking he still lives where he used too half a continent away and he still owns the Monaro and its almost exactly the same as when I sold it still in excellent condition. Different wheels and some modern engine dress up parts being the only changes. He says I would never sell this car but if I did sell it to anyone it would only be you Luke.

Well that's where we are at people I can buy it now if I want. The prices of these muscle cars have gone through the roof its more than I really want to pay but that's what they are worth and what price can you put on nostalgia. The sentimental value alone makes me want to pick up the phone and say take my money. The brain says no.

Gents if this was you what would you do

First 4 pictures are of it now the last 3 are from when it was mine.
Sounds to me like you love this car and you'll always regret not having it. If it were me, I'd go for it. However, I am not a practical person. I don't buy things with my head, I buy them with my heart. I have a 1977 F250, that I have had totally restored and spent WAY more money on it than it will ever be worth. However, what it is worth to me is unmesearable, as it was my wife's Grandfather's truck. And one day my sone will drive his Great Grandfather's truck. So it is worth the money to me. I also have the 73 Vert that is a toy and I spend money on it that I will probably never get back. You only get one shot a life and I live mine with no regrets. Besides, I'd only spend the money on something else not as tangible like going out to eat, or movies. At least with my toys, I get to enjoy my spending.

That being said, if you can afford it, sounds like you should do it, as you clearly have a love affair with it.

I've sold something like 4 of my vehicles now to friends and/or people within the local area, and I swear to myself after each time that I'll never do that again because they just don't care about cars the way I do... and I usually sit by and watch the cars I restored/maintained/cared for fall into disrepair. It's heart-breaking on a level. Fortunately, you aren't suffering that with this vehicle, as it appears 'the kid' took really good care of it. That's a big factor, in my opinion. After seeing the cars go downhill right in front of my eyes, I had to get to the 'let it go' point. I had a chance to get one of my Nissan 4x4s back... for free, even. But, it had sat outside of a repair shop for 8-10 or so years at that point, had been scavenged and vandalized, had a broken windshield with the windows rolled down, missing the steering wheel and who knows what else. I felt horrible, but had to just let it go - it would not have been practical for me to take it on as a project. And that wasn't even one of my 'dream cars,' as you put it.

If it truly is 'the one' car you always regretted letting go, I think you need to buy it back and regain some comfort.

But - how does 'the kid' feel about it? You said he has no intentions to ever sell it, and would come to you first if he ever did. How much of the same sentimental attachment to the car does he have? It sounds to me like he might have some of the same regrets selling it back to you, that you had/have selling it to him. He also seems like a stand-up guy for making the offer in the first place, and has taken very good care of the car.

Tough call here. Good luck with it.

If you have a place to park it, the $$$ and desire then what are you waiting for? I would still go over it thoroughly to be sure I wasn't over paying.

Some guys treat cars like Bill Clinton treats women, a few hard runs and on to the thrill of a different one. Others appreciate a special one and hang on.

You can't "go home again" but some things can make remembering home easier. My bug turned out to be a pretty good time machine but that wore off so it was good that I like the car on it's own merits. I bought one special car back after selling it and I do feel lucky to have been in the right place and time to be able to have it again. When I walk by it I often think "How did I ever let this go".

Luke as a current owner of his first car I can only share that it makes me feel good everytime I get behind the steering wheel and look out over the hood going down the road knowing that this was the same seat I occupied many years ago and all of the memories it brings back. I would say it is rare to be given the opportunity again to own the car you fell in love with and worked so hard to acquire and restore. It sounds like your life has made some positive changes from some very dark and tragic times. I guess I would ask myself if it took me selliing all of my current toys to have this one car back then it would be worth it. We know these are typically not rational decisions when it comes to the emotions and pleasure we get from our cars. If you can make it work without causing significant financial hardship I would go for it. Ultimately it is your decision and you and your conscious have to live with it. Just don't be the person who looks back and said I could have if you can today. Best wishes and keep the group informed on what the final decision is.

Luke:

The Force says: If you have the discretionary funds in hand for the purchase plus a bit more for covering any work the car needs, then do it. If not, then no.

Sincerely,

Yoda.

Hi Luke,

Decisions, decisions huh. I know exactly how you feel and especially it being a car with such sentimental value, booth good and bad. As we know these GTS Monaros aren't getting any cheaper and ones in the condition that this one is even harder, more so you knowing the history of this car and knowing of its condition under the paint, as we know a lot of these cars had a very tough existence and many were built up from rusty wrecks, so a lot of cut corners ready to rear their ugly heads later on down the track. Is this the same car I've spoken to you personally about, if it is, I know how you felt about this car and how much you regretted having to sell it years ago, as a lot of us car people have had to do at some time for some reason or another (me with my XA hardtop) Knowing how much and seeing in this post how much you really do love this car, I'd say go for it if the purchase is not going to leave you short on cash. The reason being to go for it is the, could've, should've,would've thing. No use later on down the track regretting it and saying "I could've bought it back then" "I should've bought it back then when I had the chance" and "I would've if I had my time again" For me if my first high performance engine (308 stroker) were to come up for sale, I'd be on it quick as a flash and build up another car like the one I had it in, as the car itself was written off and taken to scrap over 20 years ago.

In the end the decision is all up to you, you and you only knows if it's right thing to do, whether it makes financial sense or not, but one things for sure is the way you feel about this car and what it means to you. As I've said, if it's financially doable, then just do it, that way you won't have any regrets about not doing it later down the track. If the feelings aren't there or not what you expected (I doubt it though) then you could put it back on the market and make your money back on it. At the end of the day you'll make a decision and you'll know what's the right one, to buy it or not. Anyway good luck with it and let us know what you decide either way.

BTW beautiful car Luke and you're very lucky that the guy you sold it too has looked after it as well, as we both know what usually ends up happening with the combination of young guy and nice/fast car, they usually don't stay like that for long.

Yep Jason its the same one. Iam going to fly down and look at it over Christmas. If it still in good nick and still does it for me I will start talking dollars with the man. I have a realistic walk away dollar figure and wont exceed that. He has obviously looked after it but is starting to get right into US cars and until we talked he said he had thought of selling once or twice but couldn't but is happy for me to have it. I don't know it just seems weird how after all these years how things are starting to line up

Luke,

Good luck on the outcome. If it's meant to be then you will have it again. If you don't try you'll regret it later on. Hope things go your way. It is a super looking car for sure.

I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason, and at the right time. To find the original car, in the possession of the guy you sold it too, is fate. The fact that he's considered selling it before running in to you, and would like you to have it again, says it all. If I could find the '72 Mach 1 that I had "growing up", I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I still search craigslist occasionally looking for it, and I sold it 24 years ago.

Steve

My first car, a 1973 Mach 1 was taken out by a drunk driver. At the time the car was 8 or so years old, the damage was significant. Now a days it might have been taken to the body shop and the frame examined closer for possible fixing.

My second car, 1973 Mustang convertible, I am happy to report never 'got away'. I still own it. Otherwise no regrets. We sold the wife's 83 fifth ave when we bought her new Grand Cherokee. It later burned up.

I had a wagoneer I loved but I wheel'd it to death and ended up using the parts on a replacement Cherokee. What was left was sold for scrap.

So except for the fifth ave, none got away. No regrets. :)

The fact that you regretted selling it as soon as he drove it away says something. I'd say go for it. You'll never get your youth back, but you can have fun trying!

Yep Jason its the same one. Iam going to fly down and look at it over Christmas. If it still in good nick and still does it for me I will start talking dollars with the man. I have a realistic walk away dollar figure and won't exceed that. He has obviously looked after it but is starting to get right into US cars and until we talked he said he had thought of selling once or twice but couldn't but is happy for me to have it. I don't know it just seems weird how after all these years how things are starting to line up
Hi Luke,

I thought that would've definitely been the one. Going down there at Christmas says that the interest is still there and once you see it, then you'll know for sure which way to go. If you have a certain "walk away" figure then don't let the emotional side of it let you above this, if anything I wouldn't show much emotion at all (harder said than done, I know) so he thinks that you're not as much into the car as he thought, that way he knows he's not going to get crazy money from you for the car. Maybe even say something like "I really thought I'd truly be more excited seeing her than I really am, but she still looks great." That way it shows him that you're not going to buy the car at any cost, but you're complimenting him on looking after it as well.

All the best on with it all and hope it really works out for you, if you still want the car. Just remember, don't let heart go away from your head. It probably seems weird how these go or line up, but I'm a firm believer in things happen for a reason. Soon enough you'll know one way or the other.

Back