Please info about NOS ignition lock/switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

Need some advice !!

I have bought a NOS ignition lock on ebay but there are some weird key's added, they look like aluminum... mine original Mustang ignition lock haves more shinning key's and looks like stainless steel...???

Is this a reel NOS FoMoCo set? (SW-1114 - - see pictures)

Thanks,

Eddyw

:chin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed,

It probably is Ford service parts are not always like original. I have a couple sets of aluminum keys. Your original keys are brass and chrome plated. Since you did not buy a lock set, doors, ignition, glove box and trunk, you will have to cut one side of a new key for your door locks and the other to fit your new ignition. They will look at you like you are crazy when you ask for it that way but only one side of the key works it is two sided so it always works. You can put a notch on one side to show which is up for ignition. If you have two cars you can have one set of keys for two cars.

Hurd Lock was usually the supplier to Ford for Ignition and locks. I worked on some of their tooling for Ford. I am pretty sure the lock cylinder has the tumblers in a way that you cannot take to a lock smith to make the same as your doors but you might ask one.

David

David is right. Hurd was Ford's only supplier until I believe the 90s when Strattec, Valeo and Huf North America took over production. Our locks I believe are pin locks so you have to have enough pins to recode the lock to the key. When the break in the pins line up it rotates. I think it is probably more trouble that it is worth to re-key the ignition or the doors. Hurd was and I think still is in Greeneville, TN near Knoxville. So is Huf North America. Hurd may actually still be making the service/aftermarket locks and keys.

Back