429 SCJ carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
Just bought a 71 Mach 1, J Code, with a 429 SCJ; car is disassembled: needs a Holly carburetor: will a 750 Holley with Ford kick down work on the motor? What do such used Holley carbs go for ($)? Thanks, tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if this will help you gauge... I recently paid $1500 US$ for a show quality, date code correct Rochester Quadrajet carb for my current '71 429cj convertible restoration. I could have gotten one cheaper, minus the show quality and correct date code... try buying a correct carb for a Boss 351, I got a deal!

Last edited:
Just bought a 71 Mach 1, J Code, with a 429 SCJ; car is disassembled: needs a Holly carburetor: will a 750 Holley with Ford kick down work on the motor? What do such used Holley carbs go for ($)? Thanks, tim
http://www.mustangtek.com/4150/D1ZF-9510-XA.html

The carb is basically a Holley 780 cfm (down leg booster) VS with a Ford kick down. Original carbs in rebuildable condition pop up on ebay occasionally.

A plain old Holley 3310 will work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-4150-780-CFM-Carburetor-LIST-3310-1-Rebuilt-Electric-Choke-Ford-Kick-Down-/201482008806

While any 4150 style Holley carb can be made to work, the bowels are not plumbed to accept Ford fuel line routing (fuel enters the front bowel on the drivers side). You'll end up using the "Chevy" style fuel line :mad: I feel it would be a shame to do that to a 429 SCJ car. The carb for the 1970 429 SCJ is reproduced by Holley and sold through Carl's Ford for $775. While it will not be exactly correct, it would be very close. http://www.carlsfordparts.com/main.html

Another option is to track down a Primary side "Ford" bowl, fuel transfer tube, matching inlet adapters, and use it on a non-Ford Holley carb.

Obviously, you could track down a correct carb but, that would not be cheap either.

Chuck

Here is a site that might be interesting for the 429 owners.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/

That's my gift for Xmas.
Sorry to open your xmas gift early, but this site has been around and not updated for quite a few years. Thank You anyway & Merry X-Mas!

Wish there was such detailed info for all our mustangs.:)

You could use a 3310. To make it look correct you would nee to change the metering plate on the back of the carb to a metering block and use a holley dominator bowl on the front. The Ford transfer line would the fit between the bowls

I know this is an old post but I have the correct holley carb for your car for a 71 429 scj with automatic trans. If interested let me know. Gary part #d1zf 9510 xa

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but I have the correct holley carb for your car for a 71 429 scj with automatic trans. If interested let me know. Gary part #d1zf 9510 xa
Thank you for posting.
I'd like to see some pics of carb if available, and a bit of your own history with the carb. thanks much. Cheers.

Hey friend-i aquired this carb when i purchased my 71 cyclone gt j code 429 cj which the previous owner hd pulled the factory rochester intake and carb and upgraded to a scj intake and wanted a correct carb to go with it and as there were no 71 scj engines put in 71 cyclones he went with the mustang carb which he purchased out og detroit in about 1990. I used this carb for years on the cyclone until i added a stroker engine and used a bigger carb. i put a kit in the carb and it has been sitting on a shelf for 20 years. It operates freely(not sized).. I will post pics later on today. Gary

Hey friend-i aquired this carb when i purchased my 71 cyclone gt j code 429 cj which the previous owner hd pulled the factory rochester intake and carb and upgraded to a scj intake and wanted a correct carb to go with it and as there were no 71 scj engines put in 71 cyclones he went with the mustang carb which he purchased out og detroit in about 1990. I used this carb for years on the cyclone until i added a stroker engine and used a bigger carb. i put a kit in the carb and it has been sitting on a shelf for 20 years. It operates freely(not sized).. I will post pics later on today. Gary
Thank you.

Sorry it took some time to ge back to you but in the meantime a friend has pointed out to me that my carb has a few incorrect parts and the front fuel bowl is leaking so I cannot sell it in this condition. If i can remedy the problems i will let you know about it. Sorry-take care Gary

Back