car show pics from oz

fangstang

Nice grille on that falcon. Wonder has anyone performed the conversion on a Mach.

i had a look at a grill on the weekend, i was surprised to find out the xb falcon is wider then my 72 mustang, i have a mate who is doing up a xa coupe and has not made up his mind what front to use xa,xb,xc so ill take a pic of the grill against my mustang and give you a look.

The Falcon coupe is certainly wider with the rear quarters bulging out to add almost 3 inches of extra width over the Falcon sedan version, however other dimensions between a Falcon sedan and a 71-73 Mustang are very similar. Having said that, although the Falcon sedan is not technically much wider than the Mustang, I think it appears that it is because the Falcon has very flat sides in comparison without the sculptured side radius and flared wheel arches of the Stang - also the tapered front of the Mustang adds to the slimming effect. The bottom line is that the Falcon is certainly a bulkier looking car than it's US Mustang cousin.

So the different contoured sides between the two cars add 4 inches of extra width to the Falcon interior - 60 inches for the Falcon (from information off the internet) to 56 inches on the Mustang (measured myself), I know there's not much height to look out of a Mustang windscreen, but I remember when I used to own my Falcon coupe it was literally like looking out of a letterbox!!

Length

Falcon = 190.4"

Mustang = 189.5"

Width

Falcon coupe = 77.5"

Falcon sedan = 74.8"

Mustang = 74.1"

Like they say, if you want to look thin then hang around with people fatter than yourself - so if you want your 71-73 Mustang to look thin then try and find an Aussie Falcon Coupe to park it next to!

BTW, nice XR6 Fangstang!

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice grille on that falcon. Wonder has anyone performed the conversion on a Mach.

i had a look at a grill on the weekend, i was surprised to find out the xb falcon is wider then my 72 mustang, i have a mate who is doing up a xa coupe and has not made up his mind what front to use xa,xb,xc so ill take a pic of the grill against my mustang and give you a look.

i also own a falcon as my everyday driving car its a 2004 xr6 turbo with 1974 XB falcon bonnet scoops crafted into the original bonnet, the color is a factory ford color called citric acid.

i really love this car but always find my self back in my Grande every chance i get lol

In the late 90s we docked in fremantle for a port visit. I was walking down the strip headed to feed myself and i heard this deep rumble sound. Seemed unusual at the time but as i turned about it was a modern red falcon. I say modern because i was only accustom to the older ones. That was my first time seeing one and before then i didn't know they existed besides the older ones like we have here in the states. Anyway great cars and forward me any info you have on the falcon grille. If it is possible i would like to try the conversion.

the falcon gt..as a kid we use too think that car was a mix of a mach 1 and a torino or maveric on mad max movie..turned out too be the falcon gt..lol..ford loves too do that..try out diffrent and odd cars on other people around the world..my old girlfreind from uk..started talking about her cars she drove...she said..i loved my ford mondao..im like ford mondao? well..too find out..its pretty much a fancy version of the ford contour..lol..it looked better..little more fancy i think..lol

OK, with a bit of Corel PhotoPaint trickery I bring you a Mustang sporting an XA and XB Falcon grille (XA top, XB bottom). To tell the truth I was pretty sceptical how it would look considering the Mustang front is not as wide as the Falcon and thought the extra headlights would look crowded in there - but it actually looks pretty smart! (although the XA makes grille makes it look a bit too much like a Camaro for my liking). Both grills would need sections cut out and the grille rejoined to make it fit but I'm sure it could be done. The XB grille is plastic and could be plastic welded if someone knew what they were doing, but from memory from when my Dad had an XA Falcon I think the grill was metal and would require a little bit of creative welding/ brazing to do the job. Fangstang might have a better memory about the XA grille being metal or plastic though.

In fact, I wouldn't mind putting an XB grille in my own car after seeing how nice it looks, but doing that here in Australia would see me getting crucified by other Aussie Mustang owners!!

xagrille.jpg

xbgrille1.jpg

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

Wow, both look extremely cool.

I'd think the bottom one would look better without the inner lights, as it's quite crowded as you said yourself.

Still it looks cool!

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Wow, both look extremely cool.

I'd think the bottom one would look better without the inner lights, as it's quite crowded as you said yourself.

Still it looks cool!

Actually, the standard Falcon grille doesn't have those centre lights. Here another rendering - I do like the centre lights version my self though, which is probably because the Falcon coupe I used to own had them.

xbgrille2.jpg

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

I like all three. Actually the XA reminds me of the Torino Talladega. Nice renderings by the way.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I was thinking that would be very cool conversion....But with the parking lights in the grill of the 73's it most likely wouldn't look right.

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

i also own a falcon as my everyday driving car its a 2004 xr6 turbo with 1974 XB falcon bonnet scoops crafted into the original bonnet, the color is a factory ford color called citric acid.

i really love this car but always find my self back in my Grande every chance i get lol

very cool looking scooot! Did it originally come with the ram air hood? If so, what does the engine bay look like?

OK, with a bit of Corel PhotoPaint trickery I bring you a Mustang sporting an XA and XB Falcon grille (XA top, XB bottom). To tell the truth I was pretty sceptical how it would look considering the Mustang front is not as wide as the Falcon and thought the extra headlights would look crowded in there - but it actually looks pretty smart! (although the XA makes grille makes it look a bit too much like a Camaro for my liking). Both grills would need sections cut out and the grille rejoined to make it fit but I'm sure it could be done. The XB grille is plastic and could be plastic welded if someone knew what they were doing, but from memory from when my Dad had an XA Falcon I think the grill was metal and would require a little bit of creative welding/ brazing to do the job. Fangstang might have a better memory about the XA grille being metal or plastic though.

In fact, I wouldn't mind putting an XB grille in my own car after seeing how nice it looks, but doing that here in Australia would see me getting crucified by other Aussie Mustang owners!!

xagrille.jpg

xbgrille1.jpg

looks good its a shame im keeping my grande stock would shore stand out with the XB grill, the XA grill is also plastic but has a metal dress trim around the edge would also be easy to modify, my mate is dropping one of each around tomorrow even a XC grill with the GXL square lights so ill see how they measure up and let you all know.

looks good its a shame im keeping my grande stock would shore stand out with the XB grill, the XA grill is also plastic but has a metal dress trim around the edge would also be easy to modify, my mate is dropping one of each around tomorrow even a XC grill with the GXL square lights so ill see how they measure up and let you all know.

Would be interested in the XB grille height compared to the Mustangs, and also how close to the same angle the two of them are. It would be great to set up an XB grille that could be swapped back and forth in 15 minutes without having to do any mods (or very minimal mods) to the car itself.

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

A couple more grille experiments which I posted on the Australian forum today - the first a 1972 Holden HQ Monaro (did this one as a bit of a joke), and the second one using the grille from a 1971 Holden HG Monaro (which I reckon doesn't look half bad!):

hqmustang.jpg

monarostang.jpg

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

I really do like the look of the split grills. I mentioned to a friend of mine that it looks like an 05-10 mustang grill might fit the openings of our cars.

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

xagrille.jpg

xbgrille1.jpg

Flatback,

Could you take the XA grill and move the center lights together in the middle, aka. Shelby, and see what that looks like? I have always liked that Shelby look.

Isn't the Holden a GM product? Sacrilege :D

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Man these grilles are driving me crazy. Looks so nice!!

xbgrille2.jpg

Yup, I like that one. As I posted a few pages earlier, I love that split grille look à la 1970 'Cuda or 1969 Charger!!

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

xbgrille2.jpg

Yup, I like that one. As I posted a few pages earlier, I love that split grille look à la 1970 'Cuda or 1969 Charger!!

Nothing beats our Mach1 grills with the sports lamp and red, white and blue running pony dead smack in the center. :runninpony:

Flatback,

Could you take the XA grill and move the center lights together in the middle, aka. Shelby, and see what that looks like? I have always liked that Shelby look.

As requested Steven - the Shelby look on a '71.

xagrillelights.jpg

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

White soc my 72 convertible with a Mach1 grill has the orange lights in the grille but they flash with the bottom blinkers

the park lights are in with the head lights

maybe its a different model or someone has played around with them

anyway check my pics

John

Just had a thought; I hope the guy that owns the sample car I've been using for grille experimentation doesn't see these pictures and take offence :huh:

.... thought about that too for a moment..... :-/

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

White soc my 72 convertible with a Mach1 grill has the orange lights in the grille but they flash with the bottom blinkers

the park lights are in with the head lights

maybe its a different model or someone has played around with them

anyway check my pics

John

I like the look of the Mach one sport lamp grill, wish they had just done that for the 73's instead of turning the lamps vertical. I guess someone somewhere along the line changed your grill over.....looks good!

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

Just had a thought; I hope the guy that owns the sample car I've been using for grille experimentation doesn't see these pictures and take offence :huh:

Thanks Flatback I think I like that Shelby look.

I noticed that the windshield is now tinted - at least the guy is no longer looking at us.:P

I'm actually starting to agree with you Mike on the single headlight grille set up. I'm really wanting to try this out - the single headlight Falcon grilles are a lot more common and cheaper (say maybe $50 to $150) than the twin headlight grilles and it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on something that might not look as good in actuality as it does in the picture mock-up. Also I notice there are plastic trim rings on ebay that can be bought for $100 to convert these grilles to the twin headlight look so adding the extra lights could be an option for the future anyway. Not having the twin headlights would give the option of putting a tri-stripe pony or Mustang script emblem on the grille front offset to one side, which I reckon might look pretty nice.

Thought I'd better black out the windscreen on all the pictures as in my enthusiasm to do the mock-ups on what I deemed to be the perfect picture I never gave any thought that the guy looking out of the windscreen might be unhappy to see himself in a whole lot of 'shopped pics of his car. Hopefully if he ever sees these pics he would enjoy the different concepts his car became model for!

xbgrille5.jpg

Here's one below a guy on the Aussie forum suggested I do for those discerning Mustang owners who consider themselves to be high-falutin' types; if you drive this beast you probably really are the Boss!

rollstang-1.jpg

Brett

phonestang2.jpg