adjust reverse lockout rod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
I just installed a reverse lockout rod on my 72 mach1 with a top loader 4spd and now I need to tweek the adjustment. The Ford shop manual say's to put the shifter in neutral and insert a #5 drill bit shank into the alignment hole in the steering column. Does anybody know where and which hole they are referring to? Pics would be a help the Ford diagram is pretty much useless. Do I need to turn the steering wheel as I insert the drill bit to find the hole?

Frank,

Glad I am not the only one who could not figure this out. I read the manual also and looked and looked on how to do it. Ended up just leaving it because could not figure out. Hoping someone comes along and enlightens us.

I couldn't figure it out either. Tried looking in my shop manual and searching everywhere but could not find any good info on it. I thought that the reverse lockout was for manual transmissions that prevent you from going into reverse when shifting through the fwd gears, usually built into the shifter. If its the locking the selector in drive when the key is removed I was able to just adjust the rod until that worked and called it good. So with my car the steering wheel locks and the gear selector locks in park when you remove the key. If its the lock the tranny in reverse for a manual I think that you can just play with the adjustment until it works, found nothing for a Ford but some brief info for GM's. I'll keep looking.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone. The only info I did find was a poorly drawn one that shows a hole below the key/ignition switch. I found two holes on that general area on the casting and a #13 drill shank fits in both very nicely but doesn't seem to go into anything else. It only seem to make sense that once the shank is inserted you shouldn't be able to turn the steering wheel. Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was an anti-theft device.

Even if you break the lock and hot wire

the car, you will have to drive in reverse.

My mechanic adjusted mine with no issues.

Will get back to you after I consult him.

mike

mike
I'd appreciate that. Thanks for your help.

mike
I'd appreciate that. Thanks for your help.
your absolutely correct it is an anti-theft device but let me back up for you. My car had an automatic trans. originally. about 15 years ago I spent a huge amount of time and money converting it to a 4 speed. I bought all NOS or like new used parts and did a complete and correct date coded conversion except for the reverse lockout rod. I recently purchased one and completed the work started back in 1999. Now I need to just tweak the adjustment on the lockout rod to complete this conversion so any help you can bring to the table is more then welcomed. Thanks.

So what I see is that an auto and manual tranny operates in a similar manner. There are 2 different systems in play here. For the steering wheel lock there is a circular slotted plate on the bottom of the steering wheel. When the key is removed a spring loaded plunger pin is push up against the plate. Sometimes you'll notice that the wheel can be moved a little before the wheel locks and that's because the plunger is between slots and when they line up the plunger goes into the slot and locks the wheel.

The rod allows the key cylinder to rotate to the off position when the tranny selector is in park for an auto or when in reverse for a manual. You can adjust this rod but will require 2 persons to do it this way. Car will need to be raised as you will need to be able to get to the tranny linkage and disconnect the battery too. Loosen the rod at the tranny and place the it in reverse with key in the on position. Move the rod so it pushes the lever on the steering column up and tighten. Then rotate the key to off and remove it. Once key is removed you should not be able to move the tranny out of reverse. Rotate the key to on and you should be able to then shift through the gears. If you can't while the tranny is in reverse position and key out, loosen the adjustment nut and pull the rod towards the back of the car a little and try again. Repeat till it works. Had to do it this way to get my auto tranny to work.

Screenshot_2015-12-22-09-10-27.pngScreenshot_2015-12-22-09-10-57.png

See the two attached photos. One is a 1965 Mustang toploader shifter, you can see the alignment hole right below the pivot.

I believe the other photo to be a 71-73 shifter for Mustang and Torino. The alignment hole is basically in the same place but it does not extend through the housing. It is located between the pivot and the bends in the shift levers.

John,

I think we are all talking about different stuff here...thought we were talking about lock out rod? Anyways, here is the shop manual adjustment procedure in the upper right which I can't figure out as well as their pic showing where you insert #15 drill. Is this what you were describing on what fixed it on your car with auto trans?

kb63c9.png

142d01u.png

Same lock out rod, it prevents you from removing the key unless the gear selector is in Park. This is not what we are discussing? For a Manual I believe that the transmission has to be in reverse to remove the key. Not absolutely sure though.

Same lock out rod, it prevents you from removing the key unless the gear selector is in Park. This is not what we are discussing? For a Manual I believe that the transmission has to be in reverse to remove the key. Not absolutely sure though.
Yes it is what we're discussing. It also ties into the steering wheel and ignition lock.

As I understand it

The main purpose of this rod is safety

If the throttle sticks you can turn the key off and

it will only turn part way

Engine will stop but steering wheel will not lock

so you can steer

Adjustment should be pretty easy

I have had many cars with no rod and just

used wire to hold the lever up on the column

To install the rod, I have

Disconnected the battery

Put the rod into the lever on the steering column

Put the other end on and leave it loose on the slotted trans end

Put the car in...

park for automatics

reverse for manuals

Make sure the key will come out

Tighten the nut on the trans end of the rod

turn key to run - should be able to move the shifter

should be able to turn key part way off and still steer.

Put the car in park or reverse and key should come out.

Don

As I understand it

so you can steer

Disconnected the battery

Put the car in...

park for automatics

reverse for manuals

Don
Old thread, new question.

As I am installing a TKO transmission I don't think I want to deal with the steering column's lockout rod. From what Don is explaining, it should be safer to hold the lock lever in the up position. That said, is there an "elegant" way of doing this :D ? What about tack welding it in the up position.

As I understand it

so you can steer

Disconnected the battery

Put the car in...

park for automatics

reverse for manuals

Don

As I am installing a TKO transmission I don't think I want to deal with the steering column's lockout rod. From what Don is explaining, it should be safer to hold the lock lever in the up position. That said, is there an "elegant" way of doing this :D ? What about tack welding it in the up position.
I used wire and tied it up.

As I understand it

so you can steer

Stanglover replied:

I'd bang it in neutral first. If the throttle has stuck open, the last thing you want to do is cut the motor until the drive is off the rear (or front) wheels, then cut the motor. This is how people died when there was this (supposed) problem with Toyota, they failed to get the drive off the wheels and panic set in.

What color wire did you use??!!

What color wire did you use??!!
Uncoated stainless wire. Didn't want coated so it wasn't as visible and used stainless tie wire so it didn't corrode. I was thinking about painting it black though as you can still spot it pretty easy.

I was thinking you could take a short piece of metal (flat or rod) and tack it to the outer tube on one end and to the lever on the other. It will be clean and easier to reverse if needed to.

Back