Opinions Please Considering this car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
None
Hi again. It's been a while since I posted. I'm looking at a car and would like opinions as to condition and value.

It's a 72 Mach 1 H code originally but now a 4 BBL. Standard interior that is original, Nice repaint in a non original green. AC car originally but now all removed.Heater core bypassed. Fold down rear seat. Original radio included but once had aftermarket stereo and now wires are cut. Rust free doors,fenders, quarters, cowl, floor,trunk pan, torques etc. Runs & drives nice & straight. New gas tank, lines & Holley carb. New rear brakes & some lines at the master to the prop valve. New exhaust from the headers back. tires look like no wear but I don't know the age.

Please let me know what you see and think about the car and it's value.

DR Side Front.JPG

PS Side Front.JPG

DS Side Rear.JPG

Front.JPG

Rear (2).JPG

Engine.JPG

Drivers Seat.JPG

Drivers Door.JPG

Rear Seat.JPG

I looks like it has a leak in the trim along the right side of the roof or the rear side window, water standing on the inside panel. The NASA hood might not be original since you got hood locks with the Argent hood treatment. You could get the NASA hood without the Argent or Black on the hood but you got hood locks if you go the paint.

You can get the simple marti for $18.00 that would tell you how the car was. You said it was an H code check for the VIN# to be stamped into the block right below the head on the drivers side. Difficult to see but if not original numbers matching hurts the price.

I don't think you said a price.

Do you get the parts for the air with the car?

It was a pretty bare bones car looks like are you sure it was a Mach 1?

63R on door tag or 05 in Vin# makes it a Mach 1.

63D on door tag or 02 in the Vin# makes it a Sportsroof.

What color should it be? That hurts when you go to sell but if you want the green that is up to you.

With the side trim that separates the argent from the green there should be no side stripe just the Mach 1 verbiage on the front fender.

I think there should also be a power steering cooler when you have the wide radiator and air cond..

With color change and bare bones and mods to engine I don't see paying over $4,000 - $4,500 unless it is just what you want. That is saying that the paint is good and engine needs no work and the VIN and engine numbers match. The transmission also has the VIN stamped on it and should match.

I am a picky person and original always gets more bucks than modified to the high end buyer.

Do your searching this is the time of year to buy it is a buyers market in December. There are always lots of 71 - 73 cars on the market.

David

I looks like it has a leak in the trim along the right side of the roof or the rear side window, water standing on the inside panel. YES THE 1/4 window weatherstripping is old and leaks, they had just washed the car.The NASA hood might not be original since you got hood locks with the Argent hood treatment. You could get the NASA hood without the Argent or Black on the hood but you got hood locks if you go the paint. I'm not sure about the hood but for sure the repaint may not match the original.

You can get the simple marti for $18.00 that would tell you how the car was. You said it was an H code check for the VIN# to be stamped into the block right below the head on the drivers side. Difficult to see but if not original numbers matching hurts the price. Said to be numbers matching rebuilt motor . I would confirm before purchase.

I don't think you said a price. I'm withholding the asking price for now to see what others estimate the value.

Do you get the parts for the air with the car?

It was a pretty bare bones car looks like are you sure it was a Mach 1?

63R on door tag or 05 in Vin# makes it a Mach 1. Yes 63R on door and 5 in VIN.

63D on door tag or 02 in the Vin# makes it a Sportsroof.

What color should it be? That hurts when you go to sell but if you want the green that is up to you. 4Q paint(green) and AR trim(standard green)

With the side trim that separates the argent from the green there should be no side stripe just the Mach 1 verbiage on the front fender.

I think there should also be a power steering cooler when you have the wide radiator and air cond..

With color change and bare bones and mods to engine I don't see paying over $4,000 - $4,500 unless it is just what you want. That is saying that the paint is good and engine needs no work and the VIN and engine numbers match. The transmission also has the VIN stamped on it and should match.

I am a picky person and original always gets more bucks than modified to the high end buyer.

Do your searching this is the time of year to buy it is a buyers market in December. There are always lots of 71 - 73 cars on the market.

David

Hello From Sarnia

Well my two cent would be 7k to 10k

If it is truly rust free, which i highly doubt if it is a Canadian car

Look to see if it had the pan replaced,

What shape the torque boxes and rail

Check the cowl ends and the base of the spring towers

The body look nice

Needs a bit of work

I could see spending another 5k on the car after to get it looking real nice so at that point your looking 13-15K which is tough to get back out of these cars

I think if you like it and want to drive the shit of of it then go for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

I think you need to let everyone know what your looking for as that would help out as far as their input...original car vs modified, one 95% done, driver vs higher end, one to restore etc.

Couple quick points about this car...never been a fan of the green interior and I don't think many others are when you go to sell. If it was an all original special car it wouldn't matter so much. Car is pretty short on options and the key one A/C is missing, has standard door panels, no console, no gauge package, engine modified what else.

Another good way to determine value is to look on ebay at completed auctions. Takes some time but will give you a real good sense of what these are really worth with pictures and description.

Again, if we know precisely what your looking for we can help you out more.

Chris,

I think you need to let everyone know what your looking for as that would help out as far as their input...original car vs modified, one 95% done, driver vs higher end, one to restore etc.

Couple quick points about this car...never been a fan of the green interior and I don't think many others are when you go to sell. If it was an all original special car it wouldn't matter so much. Car is pretty short on options and the key one A/C is missing, has standard door panels, no console, no gauge package, engine modified what else.

Another good way to determine value is to look on ebay at completed auctions. Takes some time but will give you a real good sense of what these are really worth with pictures and description.

Again, if we know precisely what your looking for we can help you out more.
Im all about originality if possible. What drew me to this car is the paint job. It's pretty good although it could use a wet sand and polish to be real nice. The body is from what I can tell rust free. Looking into the wheelwells and underneath the car it all looks original and sans rust. Cowl, torques, shock towers are all good, no bondo in the quarters, doors or fenders.

I completely missed the guage package not being there.

My thoughts were to update the interior with deluxe seats in white with silver trim, white deluxe door panels with green carpet, white 1/4 panel trim and keep the carpet, dash pad and headliner/sunvisors green. I'm not totally in love with green either so I thought that would be one way to brighten up the interior. Possibly update to guage package and full console and maybe even power windows and a rim blow steering wheel. I would also reinstall the A/C system of course.

BTW are the rear 1/4 windows supposed to roll down? The trim panels have no cutouts for crank handles and there are no handles to crank them down.

What I am looking for is as many opinons on the condition of the car as possible and what the expert eyes may see that I don't. Ulimately I would like to have a very good quality driver not a trailer queen.

Chris

The rear 1/4 windows are fixed , a lot of guys swap out to make them operational

If this is a Rust Free Southern car then you have a good starting point

The items you listed to update the interior can be easily 3k

I think this would make a real nice Summer Driver at the right price

I looked on Kijiji and there are 3 Mach1 in the 20K (Can$) range in ontario that look like guys have a bunch more money into than the green car. and i would think 15k Can$ would get any of them, which is fair considering the guys could easily have 25K into them.

So you can use the comments your getting from members to help you convince the owner his car only worth 7-8 grand then dress it up and you will have a nice car

Onc of the members has a rule of thumb for estimating restorations

"What ever you think it will cost x3 will get you close"

I know finding a nice rust free car in Ontario is almost non exist, so i can appreciate a nice southern car.

Also when i start my journey i was thinking say original keep the value in the car.

Now i could care less, I want it to end up how i want it and i keep changing my mind as i go. but that's because i just want to drive the car

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey

Wow, TN, Florida --this car is getting around. I see what appears to be the same car on Craigslist ad from Georgia.

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/5358412552.html
Yes I saw that car too. The upholstery is ripped and if you look at the shot of the engine the clearcoat is peeling on the pass fender top. It doesn't have the folding rear seat. I considered going to look at that car but it's a 6 hr drive from where I am now and it may be a bondo buggy for all I know.

Wow, TN, Florida --this car is getting around. I see what appears to be the same car on Craigslist ad from Georgia.

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/5358412552.html
That is a different car on Craigs list.
Yes I know, the original car I posted about is not even listed for sale. I stumbled across it by accident.
I keep hearing everyone talk about southern cars being better, not always so. It rains a lot in the south. If in Florida or a costal area the salt is in the air. In Tenn and N.C. they throw salt on the roads like they are putting down gravel. I bought two cars in Michigan this year and both had much less rust than cars here in the south. Finding all the pieces you are talking about for the green car will take forever and cost you way more than just buying a car with the options that will be worth more.

With you wanting all the options I would just take my time and watch for a higher end car. This car is next to a 6 cylinder as far a desirable.

I bought two parts cars this year both 72 convertibles one was $1,000 and had the following, 351 2-V, Air, P.S., P.D.B., automatic, power windows, tilt column, AM/FM, Gages, long console, rear bumper guards, Mach 1 trim around tail lights, NASA hood, convenience group, tinted windows, racing mirrors, trim rings and hub caps. This car was in Atlanta Georgia and the floors were gone, cowl rusted out and the trunk rusted just lots of great options.

The second was posted here by a member and was in Grand Rapids Michigan on cl, it had been hit in rear and crashed in front, no rust. He had cl ad and was asking $4,000 but after talking to him he sold to me for $1,500. It was a one owner 351 2-V 3 speed, three spoke rim blow wheel that works, new black convertible top, new tires with trim rings and hub caps, convenience group, power steering, PDB, AM/FM radio, Décor Group, racing mirrors, instrumentation group/gages.

It has a perfect dash and pad, long console and the ginger interior looks like it just rolled out of factory. Just weeks before the crash the heads were pulled and valve job done and ceramic coated headers added along with dual stainless exhaust. The car had been Ziebart coated so was not rusty so many usable great parts on the car. I will take the interior, exhaust system and new convertible top and put into the 72 Q vert I have, saved me at least $5,000 - $7,000 on that restore alone.

My point is take your time and look everywhere. Place ads in cl in different parts of the country. I am running ads for 1970 Chevelle SS bb car right now in several areas around the country and have got several calls. Great deals come up every day on these cars as people pass away the family does not want the car so they sell it. There are thousands of these cars out there they are not rare and many had great options and were Mach 1 or convertible.

I will keep an eye out I spend at least two hours a day searching the net. In the morning and then at night. I have to stop myself from buying cars I see great ones all the time at a great price. This green car is not a good buy and not a great car.

Believe it or not the upcoming Mecum auction in Florida might yield some real deals if they do not put min on them. There are some really expensive mustangs coming from private collections that will drive the 71 - 73 cars on the list down in price. I have seen them go for half value or less in the past. I had a friend that had to buy his own car at a Barrett Jackson auction he was going to loose tens of thousands. He paid buyers fee sellers fee and the transportation to keep his own car.

Just take your time and your car will come to you.

David

I was looking around eBay and went to the sold list and this is the type car I was suggesting you look for. It does have some rust from sitting close to the ground. It was an estate settlement and it was a one owner Q code 4 speed Red 72 Mach 1 so it has lots of good things going for it, $4,250. It also had the décor option so no side stripe just the Mach 1 on the front fender. The person that bought this would be the second owner. They had over 200 pictures and a video so not much left anyone could ask except pics on a lift. This would have been a great car to rebuild and you know what you are getting. Go to the link and look it over like I said before these come up often due to the generation that bought them reaching an age that they pass on and many families don't want the car. I put one pic in just for reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-/301809449868?forcerrptr=true&hash=item46453ebb8c:g:pSMAAOSwf-VWV914&item=301809449868

David

IMG_4701[1].jpg

I was looking around eBay and went to the sold list and this is the type car I was suggesting you look for. It does have some rust from sitting close to the ground. It was an estate settlement and it was a one owner Q code 4 speed Red 72 Mach 1 so it has lots of good things going for it, $4,250. It also had the décor option so no side stripe just the Mach 1 on the front fender. The person that bought this would be the second owner. They had over 200 pictures and a video so not much left anyone could ask except pics on a lift. This would have been a great car to rebuild and you know what you are getting. Go to the link and look it over like I said before these come up often due to the generation that bought them reaching an age that they pass on and many families don't want the car. I put one pic in just for reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-/301809449868?forcerrptr=true&hash=item46453ebb8c:g:pSMAAOSwf-VWV914&item=301809449868

David
That is a very rusty car.

Yeah I'm definitely not looking for a car to rebuild. Rusted out is a deal killer for me. I bought a local CDN 61 Lincoln and after 4 years we are still in metal work. The only part of the car that didn't need rust repair was the hood. The reason it is taking so long is that you can't buy replacement panels for a 61 Linc so everything needs to hand fabbed.

Ideally I would find a nice rust free highly optioned car with good paint and interior that needs no mechanical work and is reasonably priced. Yeah I know that's like finding a needle in a haystack

I'm just about to pass on the OP car as the seller is a custom shop and won't really budge on the price. He doesn't need to sell and will redo the car himself with a color change to blue with a black interior and then sell for a much higher asking price. I will try to approach him next week with a lower offer but I don't hold much hope in him accepting it.

There is a pretty nice red Mach at home for $20K that I may look at in the spring when I get home if it is still for sale.

I won't be seeing the seller until next week and I have decided to pass on the car. FYI he is asking $11,350 for the car as it sits and $15K with the A/C system installed.

I might have the opportunity to purchase what is in my opinion the Holy Grail of all 71 to 73 Mustangs. The purchase will be months away due to personal constraints($) at the moment. Between this opportunity and the sellers higher that what I am willing to pay for the green car will halt my search for a car at the moment.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

Back