Ignition Upgrade or Not

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
When I bought my '73 Q code Mach 1 a year and a half ago it came with a load of parts. Within said load came a NIB Mallory HyFire 6AL box, their e-Coil and Circuit Guard. The engine has 6k on it after a rebuild by the PO with a Comp Cams 224 degree (both in and out) .519" lift, 110 degree lobe separation cam, Offenhauser 360 intake, a Quickfuel 680 vacuum secondary carburetor and Hooker Super Comp headers. The distributor is a Mallory Unilite. Should I install the balance of the Mallory kit that came with the car? What will it do for me? Pros/cons?

EdM,

Here is a great article that will explain the Multiple Spark Discharge system. Since your engine has been modified beyond stock conditions, a greater spark to the plugs will greatly improve the fire and combustion process of the fuel air mixture thus making more Horse Power.

http://www.onedirt.com/news/msd-101-learning-about-multi-spark/

I have the Mallory Un-lite distributor (non-Vacuum) and the INTELLITRONIX 200D Multi spark HEI CD IGNITION system. Wow, what a difference it makes in over all performance.

mustang7173

The 6AL box is a good upgrade from many available ignition modules. What module is currently installed? If it's a Duraspark, let us know what color the strain relief is where wires come out of the module.

The 6AL box is a good upgrade from many available ignition modules. What module is currently installed? If it's a Duraspark, let us know what color the strain relief is where wires come out of the module.
There is no module installed, just the Unilite distributor with what appears to be a factory like coil.

The original distributor came in another box of parts.

The only issue I see involves that Ram Air air cleaner. If you want to continue using it without having to modify it, you'll need to stick with a stock-sized distributor. I'm not saying a 'stock' distributor... you'll need to find a performance solution, since the MSD dizzy in the box with it's big ol' head won't let the air cleaner sit properly without some modification.

If you're not concerned with the Ram Air, pull it off, save it, and go with an open air performance unit, like a K&N or something similar.

Gonna be fun either way. Good luck!

I am not looking to swap out the existing Mallory Unilite distributor but inquiring on the real value of installing the 6AL box.

I am not looking to swap out the existing Mallory Unilite distributor but inquiring on the real value of installing the 6AL box.
If it were me I'd just put a Good aftermarket coil on it. A Blaster 2 or other high energy coil would help the Unilite realize it's potential. Unless you need to rev limit the engine I don't really see the need for the box....jmo

Sorry, I thought you were talking about swapping in the stuff in the box. I just looked up Mallory Unilite and discovered that it's very much like a Pertronix Flamethrower distributor set up. I didn't know that - had I known more about the Unilite system a long time ago, I might've just gone with that, rather than a Duraspark conversion. My whole purpose was to keep the Ram Air system intact, and that looks like it works just fine. The reason I didn't go Pertronix was simply availability of parts - Pertronix modules aren't hanging on the wall in most local parts stores... neither are Mallory Unilites, for that matter. Duraspark modules are always in stock... hence, my decision. I might consider a Unilite system down the road if I ever start having Duraspark problems.

Based on that new information, and if you're happy with how it runs, I would just do like csgt428 suggested and just get a performance coil to complete the package and call it done. If it ain't broke, etc. Having an external box over-riding the internal module might take some creative wiring and not really guaranteed to give great returns.

I've heard that mounting the coil horizontally like that is bad for the coil's longevity - you might try to find a way to mount it vertically (even though mine is currently mounted similarly... which I intend to remedy soon).

Hope that helps!

Speaking of Pertronix I put them on pretty much ALL of my more or less stock engined cars if the original distributor is fairly tight and the advance is working properly. You get the factory look AND electronic ign. plus the factory advance curve that Ford designed for that engine application.... The local O'Riellys parts store always has a Chevy and a Ford one in stock where I live. This is a classic car crazy town though....

Last edited by a moderator:
you will get a little more power and mileage with the 6al box if the carb is properly jetted . . set your plug gap at .038" with that system.

if your ignition timing curve is not properly set for your engine, you will get better mileage and perf if i is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back