'71 429cj convertible restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car has at least another 8 weeks in the shop, may be more (hope not $$$...) in order to complete the body and paint process I thought the car would be out in 4 weeks, shows you how much I know about a good restoration of body and paint. Now, trying to figure out how I will break the news to my better half, she who writes the cheques...
Believe it or not they are making great time. Nice work just the way I like to see it. This particular car deserves it.

I found that you always take the estimate that a body shop gives you and double it and that's what you end up with. That's okay if you're not paying double for them to take that long. Hopefully they gave you a final price and your estimate independent of how long they take. My car is currently in the shop for body and paint but I had all the undercarriage and cab done so the only thing they're doing is the top side. Their estimate was 3 months and I'm hoping he was somewhat correct in his estimate. I will be periodically stopping by to ensure that's the case. Your car is going to be absolutely stunning when it's done. It would be good if you could post some of the other stuff you're working on for the restoration.

jim

Your prep work looks to be impeccable! I will pay off in the final paint for sure! What direction are you planning on going with the car?
Thanks. This car will be restored to original condition where possible. The original colour is a '71 "N" Code - Pastel Blue. The only black out on the car is the hood as this is an original ram air car. Standard interior, A/C, tinted windows, AM/FM Radio, sport hub caps, P/S, P/B and that's about it for options. A true sleeper...

A awesome sleeper for sure!:cool:

The car has at least another 8 weeks in the shop, may be more (hope not $$$...) in order to complete the body and paint process I thought the car would be out in 4 weeks, shows you how much I know about a good restoration of body and paint. Now, trying to figure out how I will break the news to my better half, she who writes the cheques...
Believe it or not they are making great time. Nice work just the way I like to see it. This particular car deserves it.
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-ford-mustang-429-production-numbers

::thumb::

From Adrian Clements:

"Here are the production numbers for the 1,865 Ford Mustangs produced during the 1971 model year with the C-code 429-4V CJ & SCJ non-Ram Air engines and the J-code 429-4V CJ & SCJ Ram Air engines:

C-code 429-4V CJ non-Ram Air V-8: 294 total

- 91 4-speeds: 5 hardtops, 0 Grandés, 7 SportsRoofs, 78 Mach 1's, 1 convertible

- 203 C6 automatics: 6 hardtops, 12 Grandés, 12 SportsRoofs, 164 Mach 1's, 9 convertibles

C-code 429-4V SCJ* non-Ram Air V-8: 59 total

- 39 4-speeds: 6 hardtops, 0 Grandés, 8 SportsRoofs, 25 Mach 1's, 0 convertibles

- 20 C6 automatics: 3 hardtops, 1 Grandé, 3 SportsRoofs, 13 Mach 1's, 0 convertibles

J-code 429-4V CJ Ram Air V-8: 958 total

- 251 4-speeds: 7 hardtops, 1 Grandé, 9 SportsRoofs, 230 Mach 1's, 4 convertibles

- 707 C6 automatics: 14 hardtops, 20 Grandés, 5 SportsRoofs, 648 Mach 1's, 20 convertibles

J-code 429-4V SCJ* Ram Air V-8: 554 total

- 367 4-speeds: 6 hardtops, 1 Grandé, 29 SportsRoofs, 326 Mach 1's, 5 convertibles

- 187 C6 automatics: 1 hardtop, 3 Grandés, 13 SportsRoofs, 167 Mach 1's, 3 convertibles

* Denoted by a V-code 3.91:1 Traction-Lok or a Y-code 4.11:1 Detroit No-Spin rear axle"

Ultra rare car. Thanks for doing what it takes to do it right.

Ray

Car is really looking great. I know about the spouse and check dilemna. Nice thing was we started dating in the car in high school although she wont admit it I think it has a little soft spot with her too. Please continue to keep us posted as you have been.

Back