'71 429cj convertible restoration

Guest Pastel Blue

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The car has at least another 8 weeks in the shop, may be more (hope not $$$...) in order to complete the body and paint process I thought the car would be out in 4 weeks, shows you how much I know about a good restoration of body and paint. Now, trying to figure out how I will break the news to my better half, she who writes the cheques...

Believe it or not they are making great time. Nice work just the way I like to see it. This particular car deserves it.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

I found that you always take the estimate that a body shop gives you and double it and that's what you end up with. That's okay if you're not paying double for them to take that long. Hopefully they gave you a final price and your estimate independent of how long they take. My car is currently in the shop for body and paint but I had all the undercarriage and cab done so the only thing they're doing is the top side. Their estimate was 3 months and I'm hoping he was somewhat correct in his estimate. I will be periodically stopping by to ensure that's the case. Your car is going to be absolutely stunning when it's done. It would be good if you could post some of the other stuff you're working on for the restoration.

jim

- Jim

Your prep work looks to be impeccable! I will pay off in the final paint for sure! What direction are you planning on going with the car?

Thanks. This car will be restored to original condition where possible. The original colour is a '71 "N" Code - Pastel Blue. The only black out on the car is the hood as this is an original ram air car. Standard interior, A/C, tinted windows, AM/FM Radio, sport hub caps, P/S, P/B and that's about it for options. A true sleeper...

A awesome sleeper for sure!:cool:

The car has at least another 8 weeks in the shop, may be more (hope not $$$...) in order to complete the body and paint process I thought the car would be out in 4 weeks, shows you how much I know about a good restoration of body and paint. Now, trying to figure out how I will break the news to my better half, she who writes the cheques...

Believe it or not they are making great time. Nice work just the way I like to see it. This particular car deserves it.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-ford-mustang-429-production-numbers

::thumb::

From Adrian Clements:

"Here are the production numbers for the 1,865 Ford Mustangs produced during the 1971 model year with the C-code 429-4V CJ & SCJ non-Ram Air engines and the J-code 429-4V CJ & SCJ Ram Air engines:

C-code 429-4V CJ non-Ram Air V-8: 294 total

- 91 4-speeds: 5 hardtops, 0 Grandés, 7 SportsRoofs, 78 Mach 1's, 1 convertible

- 203 C6 automatics: 6 hardtops, 12 Grandés, 12 SportsRoofs, 164 Mach 1's, 9 convertibles

C-code 429-4V SCJ* non-Ram Air V-8: 59 total

- 39 4-speeds: 6 hardtops, 0 Grandés, 8 SportsRoofs, 25 Mach 1's, 0 convertibles

- 20 C6 automatics: 3 hardtops, 1 Grandé, 3 SportsRoofs, 13 Mach 1's, 0 convertibles

J-code 429-4V CJ Ram Air V-8: 958 total

- 251 4-speeds: 7 hardtops, 1 Grandé, 9 SportsRoofs, 230 Mach 1's, 4 convertibles

- 707 C6 automatics: 14 hardtops, 20 Grandés, 5 SportsRoofs, 648 Mach 1's, 20 convertibles

J-code 429-4V SCJ* Ram Air V-8: 554 total

- 367 4-speeds: 6 hardtops, 1 Grandé, 29 SportsRoofs, 326 Mach 1's, 5 convertibles

- 187 C6 automatics: 1 hardtop, 3 Grandés, 13 SportsRoofs, 167 Mach 1's, 3 convertibles

* Denoted by a V-code 3.91:1 Traction-Lok or a Y-code 4.11:1 Detroit No-Spin rear axle"

Ultra rare car. Thanks for doing what it takes to do it right.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Car is really looking great. I know about the spouse and check dilemna. Nice thing was we started dating in the car in high school although she wont admit it I think it has a little soft spot with her too. Please continue to keep us posted as you have been.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

New parts starting to pile up, need to get these installed... My wife said the basement looks like a garage today ::thumb::

Cha Ching...:chin:

Putting on nice clean parts is way funner then taking off old ones.:D

- Jim

• 1 month later...

-Really appreciate the updates.

This is going to be a very very nice car!

As far as money - I remember passing on a 1969 GT-350 for $4,500, a 1966 GT-350 Shelby plus 66 Hertz projects - both for $2,000, and a one-owner 1970 GT-500 for $12,000. All of these were MANY years ago but I would have loved to own all three! BTW all of these cars (except for the HERTZ CAR) have all been restored to ultra high quality show cars!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

-Really appreciate the updates.

This is going to be a very very nice car!

As far as money - I remember passing on a 1969 GT-350 for $4,500, a 1966 GT-350 Shelby plus 66 Hertz projects - both for $2,000, and a one-owner 1970 GT-500 for $12,000. All of these were MANY years ago but I would have loved to own all three! BTW all of these cars (except for the HERTZ CAR) have all been restored to ultra high quality show cars!

Ray

Ray

Ray

Me too! I passed on:

Boss 351 - Trade for my mach in High school 1983, Boss 351 for $2K in 1981, 67 Shelby GT350 for $3500 in 1984, 70 428/4spd shaker Mach(restored) for $4000 in 1985, 69 GT500 Fastback for $10K in 1991, Restored Boss 351 for $10k in 1991, 69 GT 350 for $35K in 1999, 71 429 Fastback(disassembled) for $5k in 2002, Boss 351 (unrestored) for $8K in 1998, 70 428/4speed Mach(in Yellow!) for $6K in 2001.

None of the deals were ever quite in my financial comfort zone. But I'm still on my first Mach, My first Wife, and have a great family life! That's worth more than any car!!