'71 429cj convertible restoration

Guest Pastel Blue

Looking great. I'm looking forward to watching the progress as you move along. To me, the stage you are at is the most fun and rewarding.

I think part of your frustration with the photo's may be the shop lighting. When you finally roll it out into natural light, that should help the true color show up better on camera.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pastel Blue

Looking great. I'm looking forward to watching the progress as you move along. To me, the stage you are at is the most fun and rewarding.

I think part of your frustration with the photo's may be the shop lighting. When you finally roll it out into natural light, that should help the true color show up better on camera.

I would do a stock or near stock rebuild that will run on pump gas. Send the block to the machine shop and have the absolute minimum overbore done even if it means having custom pistons made. There are not many choices available for 429 pistons, hence the potential need for custom pieces. If you determine that custom pistons are warranted, have them made with a compression height that will minimize the need for cutting the deck but still achieve near zero deck clearance. A switch to a 460 rotating assembly opens up off the shelf piston options and allows you to preserve the original rotating assembly for posterity. The extra cubes don't hurt either.

You have a rare block and if the budget allows every effort should be made to preserve its service life.

Have the heads machined and rebuilt with one piece valves and appropriate springs and hardware. CC the combustion chambers and use pistons with a dish volume that will achieve a 9.5:1-10:1 compression.

Use the stock cam or an aftermarket equivalent. As I think you already know, the A460 marine cam is the closest off the shelf cam to stock and is available from several aftermarket cam companies. Alternatively, you can have a cam custom ground.

I would love to see you retain the Quadrajet. If you keep the cam near stock specs you should be able to use it with the stock calibration but finding someone who can restore it properly may be a challenge. Cliff Ruggles is probably the guy but he often has a backlog of a year or more. It will not be cheap.

The stock harmonic balancer and water pump can be rebuilt as well.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Guest Pastel Blue

I would do a stock or near stock rebuild that will run on pump gas. Send the block to the machine shop and have the absolute minimum overbore done even if it means having custom pistons made. There are not many choices available for 429 pistons, hence the potential need for custom pieces. If you determine that custom pistons are warranted, have them made with a compression height that will minimize the need for cutting the deck but still achieve near zero deck clearance. A switch to a 460 rotating assembly opens up off the shelf piston options and allows you to preserve the original rotating assembly for posterity. The extra cubes don't hurt either.

You have a rare block and if the budget allows every effort should be made to preserve its service life.

Have the heads machined and rebuilt with one piece valves and appropriate springs and hardware. CC the combustion chambers and use pistons with a dish volume that will achieve a 9.5:1-10:1 compression.

Use the stock cam or an aftermarket equivalent. As I think you already know, the A460 marine cam is the closest off the shelf cam to stock and is available from several aftermarket cam companies. Alternatively, you can have a cam custom ground.

I would love to see you retain the Quadrajet. If you keep the cam near stock specs you should be able to use it with the stock calibration but finding someone who can restore it properly may be a challenge. Cliff Ruggles is probably the guy but he often has a backlog of a year or more. It will not be cheap.

The stock harmonic balancer and water pump can be rebuilt as well.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

[/quote

I have not seen you discuss it, but is there a reason not to go with roller lifers / cam / rocker assembly? True, it's a rare engine, but the lifter assembly would be less stress and probably improve performance. It's not like it will be evident appearance-wise. Cost will probably be negligible from replacing stock components. Also reduces potential for issues with low zinc content. Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice!!!!

It is impressive!

Ray

EDIT -

Here ya go for the rotated pics:

512891552_vert71doorslinedupfinalR.jpg.a51dd845174e5a5a740581ff6a62f1d2.jpg

2071353564_vert71bodycolourundersprayfina2lR.jpg.8030eceb4cac5cc48fc813774edd1c55.jpg

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Doors have been reinstalled and bolted up in final form. All window hardware was reinstalled (loosely) in the doors before completing the final tightening of the hinge bolts to allow for the complete door weight when lining everything up... Also, completed the underbody overspray and the blackout treatment on the pinch weld areas. The rebuilt centre section and axles have been reinstalled and are ready to go. Final front fender installation and then hood alignment etc to complete the body install and realignment. At this point, the hood then has to come off the car to do the top repainting... that sucks...

Did your doors change much with the window hardware?

- Jim

Looking great. Soon it will be back home for you to start putting your touch to it.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

... Can we not edit our posts anymore??? I want to turn the pictures right side up... hope this works.

I give up...

It's not the editing of the posts that has any effect on the orientation of the pictures - it's the pictures themselves. If they're off-angle when you attach them, that's the way they are. So, ya gotta get 'em right before you post 'em. :-/

Sorry.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Guest Pastel Blue

... Can we not edit our posts anymore??? I want to turn the pictures right side up... hope this works.

I give up...

It's not the editing of the posts that has any effect on the orientation of the pictures - it's the pictures themselves. If they're off-angle when you attach them, that's the way they are. So, ya gotta get 'em right before you post 'em. :-/

Sorry.

Looking great. Soon it will be back home for you to start putting your touch to it.

Thanks. Nice job at MCA show btw. Your hard work paid off.

Might be an iPhone thing. I have the same issue. It is a crap shoot if they are right side up or not.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Yep. +1 on that. I'm looking forward to getting the new camera today and posting some right side up pics.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

• 4 months later...