'71 429cj convertible restoration

Guest Pastel Blue

The upholstery isn't all THAT bad - I did my own, with "a little better than just good enough" results (as in, not 100% perfect... maybe more like 85%) - which is 'good enough' for my Day 2 restomod.

Interestingly enough, I struggled more with the seat back, than the seat bottom of the rear seat. The seat back is a simple long rectangular piece, that should be straightforward enough, but it was a major PITA.

I have developed a much greater respect for those who do upholstery.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pastel Blue

The upholstery isn't all THAT bad - I did my own, with "a little better than just good enough" results (as in, not 100% perfect... maybe more like 85%) - which is 'good enough' for my Day 2 restomod.

Interestingly enough, I struggled more with the seat back, than the seat bottom of the rear seat. The seat back is a simple long rectangular piece, that should be straightforward enough, but it was a major PITA.

Yes..., that is why Ill let a professional do it. I gave very strong consideration to tackling it, but I have so much other stuff to work on, thought this would be one of those jobs I would pay to have done and IMO, $$ well spent...

+1

Your prep work looks to be impeccable! I will pay off in the final paint for sure! What direction are you planning on going with the car?

Thanks. This car will be restored to original condition where possible. The original colour is a '71 "N" Code - Pastel Blue. The only black out on the car is the hood as this is an original ram air car. Standard interior, A/C, tinted windows, AM/FM Radio, sport hub caps, P/S, P/B and that's about it for options. A true sleeper...

I am so excited to see the finished product, though, not as excited as I sure you are. The car is going to be a show stopper! ::thumb:: Love this thread, BTW.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Plating looks perfect. And you are correct about tint/color of that trim piece above the windshield. Very nice work. No --- EXCELLENT work!!!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! Can I send you mine this winter? :)

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

One thing I do that will never bee seen except by those critters that love to get in those closed spaces is to add a piece of mesh wire over the top of the heater box where it joins the cowl. I use 1/4" mesh so not many critters smaller than that can get in. I also cut pieces and put under the cowl vent plastic pieces to keep them out there. I have found huge nests inside heater boxes and cowls over the years. Keep slogging along the light is at the end of the tunnel.

DSC_2216.thumb.JPG.963f6770cdd168dce413917a46dbe1fe.JPG

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Sharp looking car, going to be gorgeous when you are done.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Guest Pastel Blue

One thing I do that will never bee seen except by those critters that love to get in those closed spaces is to add a piece of mesh wire over the top of the heater box where it joins the cowl. I use 1/4" mesh so not many critters smaller than that can get in. I also cut pieces and put under the cowl vent plastic pieces to keep them out there. I have found huge nests inside heater boxes and cowls over the years. Keep slogging along the light is at the end of the tunnel.

Very good advice ::thumb::

Very good advice ::thumb::

+1