Anti Freeze Overflow Cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
The connection ribbon on my cap split and when looking for a replacement I only see black ones, but not for 1973.

Anyone know where I can find an orange one (assuming the orange one is OEM).

Thanks

IMAG0216.jpg

There were no production installed overflow reservoirs on our cars. There was a accessory unit offered by Ford parts (DOAZ-8522-A) for 1965 and up. If you remove your tank you might see if there is a Ford oval or an engineering # similar to (DOAJ-8007-A) on the tank. If not then it is probably an after market unit as Mr 4X4 suggested. I would suggest taking your tank to one of your local parts houses to see if they have a cap or even a new tank. I'm sure they would be glad to take what's left of your Christmas money! Good Luck!

There were no production installed overflow reservoirs on our cars. There was a accessory unit offered by Ford parts (DOAZ-8522-A) for 1965 and up. If you remove your tank you might see if there is a Ford oval or an engineering # similar to (DOAJ-8007-A) on the tank. If not then it is probably an after market unit as Mr 4X4 suggested. I would suggest taking your tank to one of your local parts houses to see if they have a cap or even a new tank. I'm sure they would be glad to take what's left of your Christmas money! Good Luck!
There is the Ford logo on the side with numbers as best I can see:

D3LB-8G-045-AA or could be

D3L8-8G-045-AA

Hard to tell if the 4 digit is an B or 8.

There is the Ford logo on the side with numbers as best I can see:

D3LB-8G-045-AA or could be

D3L8-8G-045-AA

Hard to tell if the 4 digit is an B or 8.
Those numbers do not cross with Ford part numbers as far as I can tell. Ran across this though that makes the it look more in place with the engine compartment of our cars but gives you the overflow tank too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Engine-Radiator-Coolant-Overflow-Bottle-Tank-Dorman-603-212-/361418957821?fits=Make%3AFord

Glad you found the engineering #. Until 1980 all Ford and Lincoln catalogs, shop manuals, etc were separate, so I didn't catch your number at first. That is a reservoir released for the 70's full size Lincoln and Mark series. The replacement cap (D2VY-8K103-a) is black with yellow letters. If you would like to replace it with the original orange cap you can go to http://www.bakersauto.com/CAP-RADIATOR-RECOVERY-TANK-72-79-LINCOLN-MARK/productinfo/D2VY8K103A/ or give them a call. I used them a lot for our dealer owners 78 Town car.

Glad you found the engineering #. Until 1980 all Ford and Lincoln catalogs, shop manuals, etc were separate, so I didn't catch your number at first. That is a reservoir released for the 70's full size Lincoln and Mark series. The replacement cap (D2VY-8K103-a) is black with yellow letters. If you would like to replace it with the original orange cap you can go to http://www.bakersauto.com/CAP-RADIATOR-RECOVERY-TANK-72-79-LINCOLN-MARK/productinfo/D2VY8K103A/ or give them a call. I used them a lot for our dealer owners 78 Town car.
Owning Christine has been an adventure of what's what.

The cap in this link looks like the ribbon is ready to split also.

Now that I know the overflow tank isn't OEM, no reason to go orange.

Found 2 on ebay.. One for $35 and the other $98....I think my head is spinning right now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

If you find you can't get hold of one you want, then my suggestion would be to attempt to repair what you have there already.

You could go about this by carefully drilling out the plastic strap part, and using a pop rivet to join the two strap pieces together again. Or, if by doing that, you find you don't have enough strap length, then add a little bit of extra plastic strap material in as well, and use two pop rivets instead.

Assuming that the plastic strap is not old and brittle, then that might be a solution to get you out of trouble. See what you think anyway.

Greg.:)[/u]

Hi Mark,

If you find you can't get hold of one you want, then my suggestion would be to attempt to repair what you have there already.

You could go about this by carefully drilling out the plastic strap part, and using a pop rivet to join the two strap pieces together again. Or, if by doing that, you find you don't have enough strap length, then add a little bit of extra plastic strap material in as well, and use two pop rivets instead.

Assuming that the plastic strap is not old and brittle, then that might be a solution to get you out of trouble. See what you think anyway.

Greg.:)[/u]

I did find another one on a diff site, but needed to ask for a picture.

Of course I could always superglue the ribbon ends together and just not try to open the overflow bottle again...LOL

$35.00-98.00!!? If your reservoir is ok and your not worried about using the original orange cap, use the black one. The 90-93 Fox Mustang used the D2VY-8K103-A cap and the 86-89 used a similar looking E6ZZ-8K103-A but I don't remember what if any difference there was. Some of our on site vendors that handle new model Mustang parts such as Don or CJ's could probably handle that for you. There are a BUNCH of venders for late model Mustangs, so somebody has to have something. Good luck again! Lol

$35.00-98.00!!? If your reservoir is ok and your not worried about using the original orange cap, use the black one. The 90-93 Fox Mustang used the D2VY-8K103-A cap and the 86-89 used a similar looking E6ZZ-8K103-A but I don't remember what if any difference there was. Some of our on site vendors that handle new model Mustang parts such as Don or CJ's could probably handle that for you. There are a BUNCH of venders for late model Mustangs, so somebody has to have something. Good luck again! Lol
No problem using a black one. Just need to make sure that if I buy it online, it fits.

Thanks

Back