351c 2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang grande
Im gonna dig into my engine here soon i wanna get some advice i have some questions

#1 i know that these engines have a oil issue what can i do to help with this (performance minded)

#2 i dont think im gonna bore it out yet but can i swap cranks and rods to get a longer stroke on stock bore size ? if so what would i need ?

#3 ive done a lot of chevy stuff not so much on the ford end so far i wanna get a more aggressive cam in this car and i know the 2v is torque minded so what have you guys ran to have a nice well mannered street car yet still little choppy and powerful

#4 with that cam swap would it be good to go full roller or flat tappet ?

now i know ill be asked so ill get it outa the way. I wanna drive it a lot so it will be driven on the street maybe daily i dont want a race engine but i want some good power thats well mannered also im trying to stay away from the machine shop atm also.

also ive taked to a few guys on here and got help with the top end as far as intake and carb thanks to droptop73

Im gonna dig into my engine here soon i wanna get some advice i have some questions

#1 i know that these engines have a oil issue what can i do to help with this (performance minded) Ford Racing restrictor kit and a distribution balance tube/armored hose from plug above fuel pump to oil sending unit hole at rear of block, improve drain back where you can, standard volume pump if using stock pan, over fill sump by .5 to 1.0 quart of oil.

#2 i dont think im gonna bore it out yet but can i swap cranks and rods to get a longer stroke on stock bore size ? if so what would i need ? You likely will be boring it some amount due to wear. IMO +.030 is the max for any performance work. If you can bore it less spend the money for +.010 or +.020 pistons. You can stroke it, see Scat rotating assembly at Flatlander Racing or other source. How much this costs above a standard rebuild depends on how much machine work your stock pieces require. If you do stroke it, say to 408, change to 4V heads.

#3 ive done a lot of chevy stuff not so much on the ford end so far i wanna get a more aggressive cam in this car and i know the 2v is torque minded so what have you guys ran to have a nice well mannered street car yet still little choppy and powerful Assuming you do not stroke it and you want to run hydraulic lifters with 2V heads, look for something ground on a 110 degree lobe separation angle with about .500/.515 lift, 220/228 duration. Use Edelbrock Air Gap intake, with a 650 to 700 cfm Holley.

#4 with that cam swap would it be good to go full roller or flat tappet ? Run a flat tappet (with appropriate oil). Spend the money on a roller rocker conversion, good push rods (custom length likely) and replace the 3 groove valves.

now i know ill be asked so ill get it outa the way. I wanna drive it a lot so it will be driven on the street maybe daily i dont want a race engine but i want some good power thats well mannered also im trying to stay away from the machine shop atm also.

also ive taked to a few guys on here and got help with the top end as far as intake and carb thanks to droptop73

Back