Rear Drum Identification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

These were on my '71 vert that I am restoring. As seen, they are original Ford units. I would like to determine just how old and possibly if they are original to the car. The two, what I believe to be the date codes for the drums read (I think) "F161:" the second, "A71:"???

Is anyone familiar in deciphering these drums, based on the info I have given here? Thanks in advance.

vert 71 rear drums cleaned4.jpg

vert 71 rear drums cleaned6.jpg

vert 71 rear drums cleaned5.jpg

vert 71 rear drums cleaned.jpg

vert 71 rear drums cleaned2.jpg

vert 71 rear drums cleaned3.jpg

The presence of "KH" (Kelsy Hays) seems to indicate period correct as does "Ford". I'll see if I can find some more data. Chuck

They are Kelsey Hayes brake drums, one of the OEM suppliers to Ford. The A71 and P171 are date codes for when they were cast. Might be service replacements.

A71:=January 7, 71,second shift

F161:=June 16, 71, second shift

They are month,date,year,shift.
Good info Judge. As I get older I find "Brain Fade" occurs more often. Could not remember how the date codes read. Those brake drum's usage goes back to 1962 so just about any Fairlane/Torino, Mustang and sister Mercury car that had 10x2" brakes used these non flared drums. I believe Pastel said his vert was built 3/71 so one of them could be a service replacement. Bendix was also a major supplier to Ford and they usually had a Ford engineering/ID # on them. At one time Ford provided a vender to Ford cross reference book to the dealers so they could take info such as the "KH" and the "87281" and cross them to a part number. It also became a causality of the computers.

Thanks.

Yes my car was built March 26, 1971 so one drum appears original and the other must have been replaced shortly after the car went into service. I knew they were close to original when I fist started to investigate; as I have many instances on this car of very old, appearing to be original parts as I go through the restoration.

I don't have the history on the car unfortunately, but based on the condition of the car when I got it, the apparent patina in many areas and parts such as this dating back to when the car was built or shortly after; I believe the car was driven for the first 8-10 years as a normal mode of transport and then sometime after this, the car began to sit for very long periods of time.

I do know based on the story in the MM article concerning this car, that it was pulled from a barn environment and had been there for at least 12 years untouched. The plate that came with the car has an "04" sticker on it so it may have been on the road at that time, although based on the condition of the steering components, would have been very unsafe to drive the car! I would like to know the use of the car from around 1980 up until 2004; it is in this time period that I think the car sat as well for long periods of time, but I cannot be sure as of yet.

I have a few leads on the owner (not the son who sold it to the dealer I bought from, but his father). I may send a quick letter to him in Tucson to see if I get a response, as I have been told he bought the car around 1976/77.

I have asked the dealer to send my contact info to the son in the Spokane area, but I do not know if they will assist in this request. Tough to get a hold of the previous owners... for obvious reasons, but my intent is strictly Mustang related... Thanks for the clarification on the drums.

Last edited:
Back