1973 coupe with Ram Air hood opinions please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lokee

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang coupe
Heya Fellas.

I was wondering what you guys think about 1971-1973 Mustang coupes with the Mach1 Ram Air hood? I own a 73 coupe I bought in high school and is undergoing a nice restoration, but I need to make a decision before I go in one direction too far. It was a white car with half roof vinyl top, not like the Grande vinyl roof,, the vinyl ended at the door/window line. The white was pretty plain and I really like the silver and black 71-73s. The yellow Gone in 60 seconds Mustang paint job I really like as well.

Years back I sold my stock flat hood, bought a Dark Horse Racing fiberglass Ram hood, then just recently traded that straight across for a real nice and straight original Ram air hood.

I was thinking about painting the car silver with the satin Mach side stripes and hood blackout. Not many pictures of Mustangs out there like this. It would be a shame to trade my nice Mach 1 hood back to the flat hood, but the flat hood with the middle blacked looks darn good too. Anyone have a similar car you'd like to share?

Thanks

-Wes

Hi Wes,

I think any style Mustang looks better with the Mach1 hood. Go for it. I like your color combo as well. Should be very sharp. Please post pics!

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always preferred the Mach 1 hood, especially with a contrasting blackout and twist locks!

The NASA hood looks great on any model. I attached a couple pics of a 71 coupe that is a real 429 car and came with ram air. It is white and looks great with black top and NASA hood. It was at the Dearborn show this year.

I have a 72 Q vert that came with flat hood and I am going to paint a flat hood and NASA hood when I paint the car so if the next owner wants original he can just swap hoods.

Your car color is your choice no police going to get you there are purists that would rather it be orig. but it is yours to do as you want.

David

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

I couldn't resist after seeing the above pics ;-)

Maybe it will also give you an idea of what the car looks like with the nasa hood.

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_4002.jpg

I couldn't resist after seeing the above pics ;-)

Maybe it will also give you an idea of what the car looks like with the nasa hood.

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_4002.jpg
Hey where are the hood locks. You got hood locks with the blackout on the hood. It was the best option out there for price don't know why there were not more for $18.00 in 73, locks and hood black.

David

Heya Fellas.

I was wondering what you guys think about 1971-1973 Mustang coupes with the Mach1 Ram Air hood? I own a 73 coupe I bought in high school and is undergoing a nice restoration, but I need to make a decision before I go in one direction too far. It was a white car with half roof vinyl top, not like the Grandé vinyl roof,, the vinyl ended at the door/window line. The white was pretty plain and I really like the silver and black 71-73s. The yellow Gone in 60 seconds Mustang paint job I really like as well.

Years back I sold my stock flat hood, bought a Dark Horse Racing fiberglass Ram hood, then just recently traded that straight across for a real nice and straight original Ram air hood.

I was thinking about painting the car silver with the satin Mach side stripes and hood blackout. Not many pictures of Mustangs out there like this. It would be a shame to trade my nice Mach 1 hood back to the flat hood, but the flat hood with the middle blacked looks darn good too. Anyone have a similar car you'd like to share?

Thanks

-Wes
Your description of what you wanted to do to your 73 reminded me of the photos bobmarlojill submitted for COTM in Dec. His car is very sharp and had me wishing Ford has offered the Boss in a vert. The Mach 1 hood just looked right on his car, especially with the Pewter/ Black and side stripes. I would say go for it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fellas, Awesome Replies and Pictures of good looking Mustangs. That's really helped with getting a good picture in my head. And yes that silver with the side hockey stripes, without the MACH 1 logo.

Thanks for the great help!

I think the Ram Air hoods look fine on any of the cars and initially planned one on mine but after thinking about it decided it seems like 99% of the cars have the same hood and for no other reason than to be different I'm keeping the plain hood on mine. Only way I'll change it is if the intake/carb/clearer setup on the upcoming motor need more room, then I'll assess what needs to compromise. Bottom line, your car, your choice, you're not building it for anyone else.

Back