1972 cougar key stuck in ignition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Well so i was troubleshooting my cougar, starting a couple of times. Then suddenly the key wouldnt go into the lock position.

I tried jiggling the "ring" aroung the steering rack but nothing.

Eventually broke the lock cylinder in a fit of rage :shootself:

Anywho, new lock cylinder installed, still wont go into the lock position. Removed the ignition switch and the problem was not there.

I checked the linkage to the trans but everything seems ok.

I really need help with this :-/

Well so i was troubleshooting my cougar, starting a couple of times. Then suddenly the key wouldnt go into the lock position.

I tried jiggling the "ring" aroung the steering rack but nothing.

Eventually broke the lock cylinder in a fit of rage :shootself:

Anywho, new lock cylinder installed, still won't go into the lock position. Removed the ignition switch and the problem was not there.

I checked the linkage to the trans but everything seems ok.

I really need help with this :-/
is this a 4 speed manual?

My guess is that the lock out rod is out of adjustment. It could also be the gear mechanism on the back of the switch that actuates the ignition switch.

It is an automatic car, 351c with... C6..? Or FMX? Dont actually know what trans these thinga had.

How do i adjust it? Since the problem persisted with the ignition switch removed (rod going freely), the problem is not in the mechanics of the switch.

It is an automatic car, 351c with... C6..? Or FMX? Dont actually know what trans these thinga had.

How do i adjust it? Since the problem persisted with the ignition switch removed (rod going freely), the problem is not in the mechanics of the switch.
Går rattlåset i lås ?

(Går rattlåset i lås ?)

will the steering wheel lock engage ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd drop the column and check the rod and plunger on the top/side half way down the column.

Also maybe the trans rod fell out of its spot in the engine compartment on the column. So you shift into part and it's not pushing it where it needs to go to release.

Thank you for the replys. Im not sure right now about the steering lock, and since the column is down and wheel removed i cant really check, but if i remember right the steering lock did engage.

Okay, i will check the linkage rods again!

I have checked the linkage again but i cant find anything wrong with it :-/

Everything seems to be moving as it should, i cant move it further when in park.

When i put the car in park though i can push the shifter more forward wich affects the linkage further. But still no key out.

This is killing me!!

I have checked the linkage again but i cant find anything wrong with it :-/

Everything seems to be moving as it should, i cant move it further when in park.

When i put the car in park though i can push the shifter more forward wich affects the linkage further. But still no key out.

This is killing me!!
Have you tried taking the lock rod retaining nut loose? It is attached to the manual lever, the same one that the shifter rod connects to on the transmission. Given what you have said about the shifter moving past park, it may be the source of the problem (maladjusted or bushing worn). If you have a set of Ford shop manuals (I'm referencing the 1971 manuals) you need to refer to volume 3, electrical, part 33-71 for the ignition switch adjustment, and volume 1, chassis, part 17-02 for the adjustment procedure for the shifter, the lock rod, and the neutral safety switch, in that order.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Thank you Chuck, that sounds like it might be the cause of my problem! I have not got the shop manual though, but i might as well try to find a copy since i intend on keeping the car.

But if anyone have or know of a free guide for this procedure i woulf be very happy.

I will get back to you after i checked this out!

I have checked the linkage, adjusted and even removed it completely from the transmission but still nothing....

Guess the problem has to be in the steering column then?

Problem solved! It was some brass? stuck in one of the teeth. Maan am i cold, -22°C/-7.6°F in the garage (no heater ATM), my hands are icicles. Another question, is the piece of metal that i marked in pic.2 in the right position when the key is in lock? Or should it go all the way out?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got it all together now! Only problem is the key needs some help with going back from the start position. I greased Everything up thorougly Before assembly, but maybe its just because its so Cold. Hopefully.

Thanks for all the help :)

Hi

Looking at your pictures, I can tell that your problem is far not solved yet. The steering actuator is badly worn out. You will have to get a new one - part number should be D0AZ-3E723-B, if its a tilt steering column. Later Ford models have them too, so don't worry.

The little brass piece, is a piece of the brass lock gear which is mounted to your ignition lock unit. Obviously that is also broken. You need both parts new.

Had similar troubles with my steering column. Everything was worn out. Was a pain in the ass to get those parts. Especially when you are on an other continent - in my case Europe.

Here is a picture which shows you the lock gear:

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0az-3e717-a.html

Sorry to tell you that, but I fear that's the cause of your problem.

cheers Wolfgang

Hi! Yes, now looking at pictures of actuators in good condition it seems mine is worse worn than i thought.

Everything seems to be working fine now though exept for the key not springing back by itself, but thats probably because of that then.

I think i will have the parts custom made at my workplace, it will be cheaper and easier.

Hi

The steering lock actuator is still available at part dealers. The lock gear might be a bit of a problem. But I am sure you can find it in a donation car.

cheers Wolfgang

Everything seems to be working fine now though exept for the key not springing back by itself, but thats probably because of that then.
I have a similar condition with mine, after having rebuilt the whole column using parts from two different columns.

I'm getting close to the point of adapting a Flaming River Universal tilt column and being done with it.

Back