Back in the day

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it thanks for the post. I remember back in the day when the guy across the street used to own a 1965 Shelby GT350 (real one) and drove it everyday as his main transportation even in the winter with snow tires on it. I remember back in the day when you could look in the High School parking lot and see Mustangs and Chargers and GTO's as well as Camaros parked along side Volkswagen Bugs and Olds Vista cruiser station wagons.

And...when you could look out across that parking lot at a sea of Cragar SS and Keystone Classic rims. And when you went cruising between drive inns, your tour included the local car dealerships when they got some new "Bad Boys" in. I remember when the local Ford dealer got the first 70 Boss 302 in. Yellow, Magum's, front and rear spoiler's, and rear window slats. We almost wore their driveway out cruising through to gawk. Then we found out the local Chrysler dealer had received two Cuda's and put them in the showroom with the hoods up so you could see the engines through the window. One was a 440 6 Pak and the other had the "Holy Grail" 426 Hemi!! Yes those were good times!!

When I was 13 or so, there was a guy with a gas station called "Roadrunner Gas". He had 5 Daytona's and Superbirds lined up along his side fence. I don't live there anymore, but rumor has it he still has the cars stored in a barn.

Steve

Sweet! ::thumb::

Now you know why I went with Cragars, Lakewood slappers, and louvers on mine - I'm trying to reclaim some of those childhood memories of my own. :whistling:

Now those of you who have dealt with me in the past know I'm a true Ford guy and if you cut me I bleed Ford blue but my first car was a 1965 Pontiac GTO. Not that I was a GM guy but because I paid only 150.00 bucks for it and that was all I could afford. Back in the day you could find these aging muscle cars cheep. 150 bucks was my life savings from mowing lawns and delivering news papers. I wanted a motorcycle but my Mom put the kibosh on that plan so I settled for the GTO instead.

I missed this by a lot of years,but often think if I was about then and in the USA what would I have got. I like to think it would be something cool like a cyclone spoiler or Talladega or anything hemi. But it wouldn't it would be a Chevelle or Buick GS or Olds W30 how very ordinary.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your saying back in the day we all had air shocks :D

That is a cool picture, thanks for sharing

Don

When I was in grade school in the mid 70s I remember all those muscle cars running around looking like that. I thought then that I had to have a car like that. Right after I turned 16 I bought my red Mach in 1984. It had yellow Lakewood traction bars, Cragar SS w reverse offset, L60 tires and air shocks. I still like that look on certain cars.

My first Mustang had N-50-15 on 15 X 10 cragar SS's

Had extra long shackles and air shocks.

Got 4 - 5 tickets for ...

rear end raised to high

tires sticking out of the wheel wells

no front license plate

defective exhaust ... it wasn't defective it was headers, about 2 or 3 feet of pipe and round thrush mufflers.

Everybody heard me coming :D:D:D

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
So your saying back in the day we all had air shocks :D
I know mine definitely had air shocks... glad I was able to get that fixed. ;)

Still got my Lakewoods, but I painted 'em black. I might consider repainting them a mid-gray color, so they'll be visible without being ridiculous.

Back