Edelbrock RPM intake and Ram Air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
It's been suggest to me in a previous post and I've searched some older post here about installing this intake with functional ram air. It's seems this is not possible but has anyone found a way to do so? If not, is anyone using an intake that will spin between idle and 6+K while keeping the ram air functional? I understand the rev limitations of my stock cam but I'm thinking for future builds. I'd be using a holley 650-750CFM carb to go with said intake. Thanks

I specifically went with an Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake (EDL-2750 - Summit Racing) and Edelbrock 1406 Performer carb for that very purpose. My engine is an H-Code (351C-2V). The 4V version is EDL-2665. Your Holley 4bbl should work fine with it.

The specs say Basic Operability Range of 0-5500 rpm, but I'm sure a few more rpms could be squeezed out relatively easily - especially with some port & polish work.

Other intakes from Edelbrock have taller deck heights, and would interfere with the use of factory Ram Air components (without modification). I'm not sure if anybody here is running a Performer RPM with factory Ram Air (without modification).

Hope that helps.

So I'm sure this next question will be the opinion of the car owner but would it be worth losing the Ram Air for the sake of the better intake? I understand that the ram air doesn't really net much juice for the squeeze. I myself would have a hard time giving it up though...

There are a few things you can do to use the intake and keep the Ram Air

The issue is will the sealing ring on top of the air cleaner needs to contact the plenum. The problem is that your intake pushes the air cleaner upwards some amount more than the stock height one.

Some of the solutions are-remove the rubber sealing ring and replace it with a thinner one or have the mounting pad on the intake cut down at a machine shop to bring the height down-this unfortunately will affect the way the intake performs to some degree. You can also get adjustable motor mounts and lower the engine, but you will probably have to adjust the driveline angle by lowering the transmission at the rear as well. This can be problematic with shift linkages etc.

I ran the plenum with an open element air cleaner for several years as my engine needs lots of air and the stock set up is insufficient. I finally just removed the plenum and am going to build something to suit my needs

The air cleaner "can" itself is the issue as Jeff mentioned. One thing you can do is trim down the height of the bottom part of the 'can,' and run a 'thinner' filter (which would limit the air intake slightly), or run a thinner K&N style filter (with the filtered lid), which should increase air volume as well.

I haven't actually installed my Ram Air air cleaner, since I haven't painted it to match yet - I have an open element Edelbrock filter which fits up into the plenum area (as Jeff mention he had done with his). I actually hope the lid (with the embossed Edelbrock logo) fits inside the repop 'factory' Ram Air can, but if not no biggie.

The beauty of the factory Ram Air is that no matter what some performance vendor wants to charge for a modern Cold Air Intake system, this is 'free' (came with the car), and works better than any modern CAI because it's pulling the cooler air directly from the outside of the car, rather than through an expensive box jammed up under the hood.

I have been told that a blue thunder dual plane intake will work with a functioning ram air unit. That is what I'm doing. It just so happens that the blue thunder has been known as the best dual plane intake for the 351c. I've also been told that a Scott cook dual plane will work as well but it's $700. Ouch.

I have been told that a blue thunder dual plane intake will work with a functioning ram air unit. That is what I'm doing. It just so happens that the blue thunder has been known as the best dual plane intake for the 351c. I've also been told that a Scott cook dual plane will work as well but it's $700. Ouch.
I am using a Blue Thunder and only modified the air cleaner because I was using the taller MSD distributor. If I stayed with the stock distributor it would have fit just fine.

Look at this thread, this is where I was trying to find out if the Blue Thunder manifold would work.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ram-air-help--20045

My build thread has pictures of the air cleaner mod to get the MSD distributor to fit. I would not do this to an OEM base though.

You could make a drop base air cleaner, heres an article how to do it.its for a big block but their using a stealth intake with a ram air,might find something you can use .http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/stealth_aluminum_intake.htm

For Ram air you can also trim the top lip of the plenum where the gasket sits. This with a modified half gasket should be enough to gain 1+ inches.

Now, who knows how much taller is the air gap compared to a dual plenum?

1971 M-code Mach 1

For Ram air you can also trim the top lip of the plenum where the gasket sits. This with a modified half gasket should be enough to gain 1+ inches.

1971 M-code Mach 1
The Edelbrock Performer (approx same as stock) has a carb base height of 3.90".

The Edelbrock Air Gap has a carb base height of 5.02".

The Blue Thunder has a carb base height of 4.37" and 0.125” more set back than stock. You could mill the carb base 0.275” and be almost equivalent to stock.

1971 M-code Mach 1
The Edelbrock Performer (approx same as stock) has a carb base height of 3.90".

The Edelbrock Air Gap has a carb base height of 5.02".

The Blue Thunder has a carb base height of 4.37" and 0.125” more set back than stock. You could mill the carb base 0.275” and be almost equivalent to stock.
I'm starting to think based off the dimensions I could get away with buying the blue thunder intake and cutting down the foam piece. I'll just have to save up a lil more cheddar for the blue thunder...

In my 71 i measured to have a gap of about one inch without the plenum gasket.... so maybe there is enough room but a more careful measurement should be made. Also, i think different year cars may have different engine heights plus different mounts.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Back