351C-4v Shorty Headers, worth it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Hey,

I've heard that headers can free up alot of power with the 351-4v.

Are there good power gains with shortys? Sanderson ceramic block-huggers look like the best option. Then also run new 2 1/2" pipes out the back.

Longtubes may better but I have power steering and a clutch cable.

And then there's the engine compartment heat problem.

Plus they would probably bottom out on my driveway, not good for the ceramic coating.

oooh yes...headers are probably the single best way to get alot of free power out of your 4v cleveland...specialy if you got the big 2,19 valves...4 v clevelands are nutterd at the header...those big heads love to breath..it will add no less than 50hp too your motor..lol...im doing that too mine right now...headers and a bigger cam...and thats all!! not changing pistons or anything...and according too the desktop dyno's and sites and calling jegs techs..im suposta get allmost 425hp+ up too 450!! too my fly wheel...im putting in a 5'20 lift cam..and headers..thats it...that motor was made for pure race..and doesnt take much to get alot of power out of them....the jegs guys said..no reason to buy heads or anything..those heads are able too flow up too 800 horse or more!!..lol..small crank too....able to handle lots of rpm's...it really is a lost jewel of a motor...able to handle more than my freinds big block chev generation 4 block....lol..he helping me with it..and surpized how my heads make his big block aluminum chev's seem small..lol..i have to say..its the easiest motor i ever seen too get huge horse power gains out of for cheap.

oohh yes..and im putting a holley 750 on it..and not even the double pumper...just the regular vac secondary..got the original 4300d sitting in a box:)..but thats all im doing..and i would be happy as hell with anything over 400..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto with the 750 vs, I went with the Edel Performer and also put the 4300d "leak-master" in a box. Seat-of-pants dyno thinks it picked up about 20+hp with just the carb, (using the stock intake and 1" adapter/spacer). Plus drivability is vastly improved.

What model headers are you going with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I've got a 71 351 2v, RV cam, edelbrk intake,carb 600 cfm, headers, mallory HEI dist, just curious to know about how much HP it has. Also, Can I just put a bigger Cam to gain more HP & simultaneously not hurt my gas mileage ?

Thanks,

Hey,

I've heard that headers can free up alot of power with the 351-4v.

Are there good power gains with shortys? Sanderson ceramic block-huggers look like the best option. Then also run new 2 1/2" pipes out the back.

Longtubes may better but I have power steering and a clutch cable.

And then there's the engine compartment heat problem.

Plus they would probably bottom out on my driveway, not good for the ceramic coating.
Let us know if you decide to go this route and post some pictures. I have never seen a set of shorty's used and would definitely be interested in your thoughts.

Hey guys, I've got a 71 351 2v, RV cam, edelbrk intake,carb 600 cfm, headers, mallory HEI dist, just curious to know about how much HP it has. Also, Can I just put a bigger Cam to gain more HP & simultaneously not hurt my gas mileage ?

Thanks,
I think the 71 2v cleveland makes about 240 hp....i would call jegs and ask for a ford tech...and they will patch you in to a guy who will tell you just about anything you can do to your motor.and what combo will work..there techs are pretty good if you get the right one...just tell them your motor and what you plan to do or want too....them v2 heads are great for the street..very responsive.....that carb is good up too 300ish hp maybe 350 or 380ish with the right jets..what model of eldel is it?...1405 or 1406? hopefully not the econo 600cfm..lol

And making the motor have more power will give you better gas milage..cause it makes the motor more efficient..breaths better...long as you keep your foot out of it..it will preform better all around.....my cousin has a old trans am....he had it sence high school..had a stock 400 in it...got about 14 mpg.......he tore it out..rebuild it..put a 850cfm carb on it..put some really tall gears in it...505 hp motor on dyno...he is now getting to work 18 too 21 mpg!!...he gots more take off power..more top end...more everything..and its more efficient..

Back