Wiring gremlins UGH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nasadzn

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
Im having allot of trouble with my mustang. the voltage regulator just melted and spilled juice everywhere under my hood. My starter solenoid isnt hooked up correctly due to my starter constantly engaging when it is hooked up correctly which i also dont understand. Would a faulty starter switch cause it to constantly engage? Could it be my neutral safety switch? Im completely confused i have a switch hooked up to where its like kill switch almost but it allows me to start it and drive it also but it wont let me turn it off with key. i have to kill it with that switch. if anyone lives around pensacola fl or panama city please message me im confused with this and could use the help

A voltage regulator should not spill any "juice", That sounds like a coil. I had a coil give out and it leaked oil. It sounds like you have a faulty solenoid or ignition switch, something is failing between key and starter. Make sure everything is grounded, maybe start with a new solenoid, and modern voltage regulator. If that don't do it, test your ignition switch, its mounted to your steering column, only takes about 20 minutes to change. As with any electrical problem I might be way off, good luck! I had to change everything from key to starter on my car too.

I agree...starter solenoid probably bad. When cranking, a full 12V goes to the coil and these coils don't like full 12V all the time. Something is definitely messed up, but it shouldn't be the neutral safety switch. And yes, I'm in Panama City.

Back