Best lube for window guide hardware?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I am going to reassemble my door window components this weekend, what is the best lube for guide tracks and regulator. I have white lithium grease and some sil-glyde silicone lube, would either of these be suitable?

I have been using one of the newer types of grease instead of the white grease. It has been working great for several years on some cars I have. It is made by Lucas Oil Products, Inc. called Red "N" Tacky #2. It has an anti-seize added to it. I have used this on manual windows, power windows, wiper motor gear boxes, door latches, steering column tilt, shifter, parking brake anything that needs a little lube. There is no need to put gobs of it on nothing there to move it into the contact points it will just gather dirt.

On the silicone I would never put anything with silicone on a car. If you ever go to paint it silicone is your biggest enemy and very small PPM will cause fish eyes in the paint. Most of the interior dressings like Armor-all have it and should not be used. Automotive assembly plants have bans on any silicone based lubes or sealers.

David

I'll have to get some and give it a shot, I know after a couple years the white lithium tends to cake and harden, hopefully the Red "N" Tacky #2 is better::thumb::

I have been using one of the newer types of grease instead of the white grease. It has been working great for several years on some cars I have. It is made by Lucas Oil Products, Inc. called Red "N" Tacky #2. It has an anti-seize added to it. I have used this on manual windows, power windows, wiper motor gear boxes, door latches, steering column tilt, shifter, parking brake anything that needs a little lube. There is no need to put gobs of it on nothing there to move it into the contact points it will just gather dirt.

On the silicone I would never put anything with silicone on a car. If you ever go to paint it silicone is your biggest enemy and very small PPM will cause fish eyes in the paint. Most of the interior dressings like Armor-all have it and should not be used. Automotive assembly plants have bans on any silicone based lubes or sealers.

David

A modest amount of any purely synthetic grease works well and won't harden. Chuck

I'll have to get some and give it a shot, I know after a couple years the white lithium tends to cake and harden, hopefully the Red "N" Tacky #2 is better::thumb::

David
It seems to stay soft. I put on the jack for my camper and it gets rained on and frozen and it is still soft after two years in the weather.

Back