1971 Mach l

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey now you are not to take any Mustangs out of North Carolina they are here for me. Looks like maybe cowl vent leaks or roof rail leak. They usually rust next to shock tower where the inner panels join if it was salt on roads. The trunk is more there than some I see on here.

I see you have the decor option, side brite pieces & black out below. They are like hens teeth as you will find out but make for a sharp car especially a Mach.

Thanks for posting the pics. I have a convertible I need to sell you since you like a challenge, lol.

David

Hey now you are not to take any Mustangs out of North Carolina they are here for me. Looks like maybe cowl vent leaks or roof rail leak. They usually rust next to shock tower where the inner panels join if it was salt on roads. The trunk is more there than some I see on here.

I see you have the decor option, side brite pieces & black out below. They are like hens teeth as you will find out but make for a sharp car especially a Mach.

Thanks for posting the pics. I have a convertible I need to sell you since you like a challenge, lol.

David
Well David, I know it takes $35000 to build a $20000 car so one is enough. Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about these cars. I don't know a lot about Mustangs. Owned a lot of Mopars and Trans Ams and I've restored cars for other people but my Cobra made me a believer. I'm looking forward to bringing this one back for myself.

Dave

Is that a clock inside the tach??

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
You made me go out and look. No tach. Clock on the the left with standard and military time. Speedometer has 5MPH increments inside the 10MPH increments. Is this the usual setup?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The clock/instrumentation looks like mine was originally. Guage package in the center stack, Speedo to the right, clock to the left.

Be careful removing that shifter boot!!! I will gladly take that in any condition if you do not want it. I need one for my car, but am looking for damaged ones too so I can create a CAD model and mold to produce new ones.

kcmash

M or Q code?

M codes seem to be coming out of the woodwork in the last year or so.

Please share what you paid for it vs what was being asked. I know people seem willing to talk about their last prostate exam more easily than financial and money issues but it would sure be interesting to have the "whole story". Kind of like "true car" for 7173 Mustangs.

Craigslist, barn find, great aunt owned it?

Do tell - we wont flame you badly if you bought poorly (well, actually we probably will but with love and understanding).

So far you are off to a good start.

- Paul of Mo

I am not sure we are really in a position to comment as to whether someone bought poorly...

Last edited:
Originally Grabber Green? Are you going back to it?::thumb::
The door sticker is missing. I believe it to be Grabber Green but I'm going with Bright Lime. I doubt that I can make it a truly original car (within reason) because of the scarcity of the green interior. The interior will have to be black because of the door panels and dash pad. The car will be period correct but not a concours show car. I want to drive it.

M or Q code?

M codes seem to be coming out of the woodwork in the last year or so.

Please share what you paid for it vs what was being asked. I know people seem willing to talk about their last prostate exam more easily than financial and money issues but it would sure be interesting to have the "whole story". Kind of like "true car" for 7173 Mustangs.

Craigslist, barn find, great aunt owned it?

Do tell - we won't flame you badly if you bought poorly (well, actually we probably will but with love and understanding).

So far you are off to a good start.

- Paul of Mo
Paul,

Here is the story: The car was in Auto Roundup. I wasn't really looking for a car but this was a 351 4 speed car and it was within reasonable driving distance. I called the guy and he said the car had been in the same family since new and he had bought through and estate sale but didn't know much about it. Stories can be just that so I don't know if the "one family" part is true or not. Anyway, I owned my own body shop in OH for about 18 years so I'm familiar with rust. My corporate job brought me to VA a few years ago but it's not a physical job so my wife thought restoring a car would keep me moving. If the car had been an automatic I wouldn't have been interested. Long story short, it was advertised at $3500. I paid $2600 for it. Probably worth that in parts but it's really a chance to stay active in a more fun way than going to the gym. Maybe I'll claim it as a medical expense. It can't be any worse investment than my 401K is at the moment.

Is that a clock inside the tach??

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
In 1971 only the Grande' came standard with a left side instrument panel mounted clock. The Mach 1 sport interior option would include the three gauge auxiliary cluster, and the instrument panel mounted clock, but you had to order the optional instrumentation group (standard on Boss 351) to get a tachometer. If you ordered the full length console and had the tachometer equipped car then the clock would move to that location.

Looks like a nicely equipped project car. And a 4bl car with a top loader 4sp! A lot of folks here who have "Been there and done that" with projects like yours. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. :D

Paul,

Here is the story: The car was in Auto Roundup. I wasn't really looking for a car but this was a 351 4 speed car and it was within reasonable driving distance. I called the guy and he said the car had been in the same family since new and he had bought through and estate sale but didn't know much about it. Stories can be just that so I don't know if the "one family" part is true or not. Anyway, I owned my own body shop in OH for about 18 years so I'm familiar with rust. My corporate job brought me to VA a few years ago but it's not a physical job so my wife thought restoring a car would keep me moving. If the car had been an automatic I wouldn't have been interested. Long story short, it was advertised at $3500. I paid $2600 for it. Probably worth that in parts but it's really a chance to stay active in a more fun way than going to the gym. Maybe I'll claim it as a medical expense. It can't be any worse investment than my 401K is at the moment.

Very nicely bought and thanks for sharing. I always wish I new the story behind some of the cars on this site.

My wife had the same outlook - the old cars got my blood moving and she always had a great car to drive around in.

This will be a great thread for us to follow - from the very start to the very end.

Keep Posting!

- Paul

Welcome from Oklahoma. I hope you keep it a non-striped Mach 1. Cars originally equipped that way are becoming rare these days.

Ray

The clock/instrumentation looks like mine was originally. Guage package in the center stack, Speedo to the right, clock to the left.

Be careful removing that shifter boot!!! I will gladly take that in any condition if you do not want it. I need one for my car, but am looking for damaged ones too so I can create a CAD model and mold to produce new ones.

kcmash
KC,

I put in a box so I still have it. It is torn a little bit but still intact. I was going to replace it with a new one. Is there something unique about these? I'm not against sending it to you but I want to have the right information before doing so. The shifter itself is rusty. Is this unique as well or do they still make the same style?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Welcome from Oklahoma. I hope you keep it a non-striped Mach 1. Cars originally equipped that way are becoming rare these days.

Ray
Ray,

How do I know if it was striped or not? It's obviously not the original paint but I haven't had a chance to dig into it much. Maybe I should order a Marti Report.

Dave

As requested, I am posting some pictures of the Mach l project that I just drug home from NC. It's not for the faint of heart.
Looks like you have the very rare clock in the instrument panel... be careful with

the plastic face.. I have not found a repop for this as it has the small hole at the bottom for the clock stem.

I have this same set up on my 71 M code Mach 1

Doug in Indy

Back