• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB convertible header panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct finish is painted Argent. But, you want to plate those pits won't be a problem. I had a 65 conv one plated and it looked like yours, they fixed all that and chromed it for 100$

The originals on our cars were also plated. It had to be done in a low luster finish to satisfy a government regulation about the amount of glare.

I just cleaned mine in my molasses tank and it looks pretty darn good. Going to spray with some satin clear and put it back on. I don't see the picture of the face but you can see the back side of the one I did takes all the rust off and does not hurt the plating or metal. My tank was not deep enough get the whole thing in I just turned it and did the other end. I have another in the tank right now.

You could get it re plated with nickle which yields a more satin dull look but expensive.

$18.00 worth of feed grade molasses, 5 gal., makes 50 gallons of solution. Mix 9 to 1 with water. 45 gallons of water 5 gallons of molasses. Works on any rust. I keep something in the tank all the time no labor just leave it one to two weeks and it is clean. Wash off and oil or paint it.

David

DSC_1979.JPG

DSC_1999.JPG

DSC_2000.JPG

DSC_1986.JPG

The originals on our cars were also plated. It had to be done in a low luster finish to satisfy a government regulation about the amount of glare.

I just cleaned mine in my molasses tank and it looks pretty darn good. Going to spray with some satin clear and put it back on. I don't see the picture of the face but you can see the back side of the one I did takes all the rust off and does not hurt the plating or metal. My tank was not deep enough get the whole thing in I just turned it and did the other end. I have another in the tank right now.

You could get it re plated with nickle which yields a more satin dull look but expensive.

$18.00 worth of feed grade molasses, 5 gal., makes 50 gallons of solution. Mix 9 to 1 with water. 45 gallons of water 5 gallons of molasses. Works on any rust. I keep something in the tank all the time no labor just leave it one to two weeks and it is clean. Wash off and oil or paint it.

David
David,

Yours looks pretty pitted as well?

David
David,

Yours looks pretty pitted as well?
It for sure has pits if it had rust. If you take one to get plated they either have to sand down the surface to get the pits out or put copper on and sand to fill them. I would guess they would want $175 - $250 to do one of these and that sucks. Not many people look up at the header if you get rid of the rusty look it is not a noticeable.

I doubt if you find one without rust the one in the pictures was in California until I got the car this past year and took it off.

My 65 verts had bright chrome and they rusted really bad also.

David

Back