Headers: FPS, Hooker Comp, Sanderson? 351c 4v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I really love my mid length headers on my '68 mustang (393w). The problem is that nobody makes them for my '73 with a 4v Cleveland. As for long tubes, what would work best with (for now a C6 and down the road a TKO-600)? Anyone have any opinion on Sanderson shorties? Thanks..

Mike

I had FPS on my 70 and they were great. I use Hooker Super Comps on my 71 and they fit perfectly. No interference with anything and they don't hang low. I have a manual transmission.

I had FPS on my 70 and they were great. I use Hooker Super Comps on my 71 and they fit perfectly. No interference with anything and they don't hang low. I have a manual transmission.
Nice.. Do you prefer one over the other?

I really love my mid length headers on my '68 mustang (393w). The problem is that nobody makes them for my '73 with a 4v Cleveland. As for long tubes, what would work best with (for now a C6 and down the road a TKO-600)? Anyone have any opinion on Sanderson shorties? Thanks..

Mike
http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/headers2.htm

Mike
I have FPA headers (Ford Powertrain Applications) on my 351/408 Cleveland in my 73 Mach 1. "Restoration Gray Ice" ceramic coating. They fit 4v heads and because they fit 4v heads, they will also fit smaller 2v heads. (yes, I am positive) I have a TKO 600 trans. They are sweet, top quality. 3/8" flanges.

20150219_084605.jpg

20150219_084643.jpg

20150219_084738.jpg

20150219_084750.jpg

carb and headers.jpg

20150724_160229.jpg

20150724_164812.jpg

P8040140.jpg

351 4V - Stock.jpg

351 2V - Stock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice.. They look great. Thank you..

Mike

Mike

Mike
I have FPA headers (Ford Powertrain Applications) on my 351/408 Cleveland in my 73 Mach 1. "Restoration Gray Ice" ceramic coating. They fit 4v heads and because they fit 4v heads, they will also fit smaller 2v heads. (yes, I am positive) I have a TKO 600 trans. They are sweet, top quality. 3/8" flanges.

I would go with the FPA for long tube but very pricey. I have Hooker comps and the hang to low. For shorties go with Sanders. I would have went that route but the only make them for 4V. The sell an adapter place for 2v but I didn't know how much engineering went into and new the hookers would work with my setup so I made the call and moved on. I think I would have went the Sanderson route in hind site.

Does the drivers side (long tubes) come out/go in ok or does it require lifting up the engine?

Hooker Comps are some of the easiest headers to install that I've ever done. No need to jack the engine. A little foggy, but IIRC, the PS goes in from the top, DS comes up from the bottom. Only reasonably priced header that works with the clutch linkage.

I put on a set of Headman headers. Purchased them uncoated and had my local guy do a flat back Cera-Kote on the outside and insul-kote on the inside. Plenty of ground clearance and surprisingly enough they fit with no issues at all. Currently running an FMX trans and power steering. (Planning an upgrade to T-5 at some point). My biggest thing was how well the flanges were to seat properly. I was dreading installing these having heard all kinds of horror stories but they went in no problem.

Headers.JPG

Hooker Comps are some of the easiest headers to install that I've ever done. No need to jack the engine. A little foggy, but IIRC, the PS goes in from the top, DS comes up from the bottom. Only reasonably priced header that works with the clutch linkage.
You'll be modifying the clutch linkage when you put in the TKO 600. (I have some pics of the mods we made but we'll save them for a TKO 600 install thread)

The FPA headers only needed the drivers engine mount to be shaved a little...This was my old "73" engine mount which had been modified by previous owner to fit the old Hooker headers. FPA headers, shown here, needed the same modification, just not as much. Pic is showing the head sitting directly on the block,(for mock up) without the gasket, which would raise it and the header away from the engine mount a little more than shown.

20150330_125555.jpg

Awesome. Thank you..

Nice.. Do you prefer one over the other?
I prefer the long tubes since the FPS were mid-length. My Super Comps don't hang low, then again I have had them for around ten years. Maybe production changed? I doubt it, also my car is lowered 2.5" all around.

ru4apu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back