'71 vert 429cj restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update, preparing some of the suspension pieces for installation soon. These are all original to the car pieces (Except for the idler arm which has been replaced, the new spring bushings, the shock tower spring cover bolts and rubber bumpers). Lets just agree that Eastwood paints are not cheap and with the low Canadian $, there is a 40% premium, ouch... Trying to get the suspension in place to coincide with the final painting of the car in the coming weeks. Cheers
The 71 might be different but the metal pans that bolt on the outside upper part of the shock towers on all of my 72 & 73 are the Slop Grey color not black.

I saw a SCJ long block for sale on cl in the Hickory, N.C. area if you have any need. 4 bolt main just bored .030" and balances with ARP bolts and stock oil pan.

David

The risk one takes when we post up almost finished parts... Not looking to discern the almost impossible task of what is right and wrong on these cars in these posts. After 44 years, who really knows today? There are many opinions based on what each of us have seen in our journey's. It is also well documented that the assembly line practices, in this case, as it applies to paint practices; varied from plant to plant, shift to shift, employee to employee... The term and use of "slop grey" throughout the car could have varied from a primer red to a greyish colour all the way to a black look. It all depended on what left over paints were available at the time. I can state and confirm through my tear down and pre-blasting, that the primer colour on the underside of my current restoration was a definite black. There was no grey or red to be found.

The piece you refer to was painted black because this is the colour that there was remenents of, when I tore the car down.

I have researched the colours extensively on this car, and on many other 71-3's I have owned. I am comfortable with my choices as I move forward. They may not meet to the satisfaction of everyone here, but like all posts put up, we decide for ourselves what we believe to be right and possibly not correct. But once again, I defer "to the back in the day" factory assembly line practices; definitely not an exact science as may be the case in plants today.

I have the original #'s matching drivetrain for my car, but thanks for the heads up anyway. Cheers

Last edited:
Unless someone went through the trouble of stripping and painting them post production which is unlikely, I would say your method of sanding down to determine the correct color is spot on. I'm not doing a concourse but tried to stay somewhat true to stock when it suited me. I was really suprised on all the variances in the manufacturing process. Watching guys like yourself and others on the site go through concourse restorations gives me a whole new appreciation for the word.

Well Done!

Painted parts look great! On my 72 Mach the outer shock tower covers were also black. Ryan

Car is progressing towards final paint, albeit slowly... but, that is a good thing when looking at the proper preparation being done to the body & panels.

Last edited:
Back