Is this a good kit to buy?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gosse_84

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang mach 1 H code
red and black with white interior
351c 2v for now, switching to 4v
Car details

I threaded earlier about a stroker...that's out for now until maybe next year. But I hope someone can shed light on this for me plz.

3.50 posi

Fmx tranny :-/

351c 4v closed chamber heads not machined yet but will be before install.

Comp headers to 2.5 exhaust unsure of size of headers

Right now a 650 eddy but probably get bigger

Mallory unilite dizzy

15 or 16 inch tires unsure yet of what I'll get.

Have ram air not sure if it will hook up too the intake I have

Torker intake or may invest in something else too....

Tranny I know is a weak point...there is highway driving and I'd like to get AOD for future. But I'm doing the motor first and maybe it will tear apart the tranny and I can have an excuse to buy another lol either or looking at this kit K32-601-8 from comp cams. It's there thumpr series I'd like to try out. I don't want to pick the wrong came tho.

Thanks

For what my two cents are worth.

My brother and I decided to go with a comp cams Xtreme Energy cam. 262h is the grind family. We have a 351c with 2V heads though. I don't know what your expectations are or how radical you want it to sound but we were able to make some pretty good hp with it.

best of luck with your selection

For what my two cents are worth.

My brother and I decided to go with a comp cams Xtreme Energy cam. 262h is the grind family. We have a 351c with 2V heads though. I don't know what your expectations are or how radical you want it to sound but we were able to make some pretty good hp with it.

best of luck with your selection
Thanks. I have 2v heads on there now. But my dad gave me 4v heads so just as well to use them. Thanks tho

Car details

I threaded earlier about a stroker...that's out for now until maybe next year. But I hope someone can shed light on this for me plz.

3.50 posi

Fmx tranny :-/

351c 4v closed chamber heads not machined yet but will be before install.

Comp headers to 2.5 exhaust unsure of size of headers

Right now a 650 eddy but probably get bigger

Mallory unilite dizzy

15 or 16 inch tires unsure yet of what I'll get.

Have ram air not sure if it will hook up too the intake I have

Torker intake or may invest in something else too....

Tranny I know is a weak point...there is highway driving and I'd like to get AOD for future. But I'm doing the motor first and maybe it will tear apart the tranny and I can have an excuse to buy another lol either or looking at this kit K32-601-8 from comp cams. It's there thumpr series I'd like to try out. I don't want to pick the wrong came tho.

Thanks
I do not know which Chevrolet cam guy selected those profiles but, in my opinion he failed miserably. The lobe separation angle is WAY too tight, and there is way too much overlap (87 degrees). Manifold vacuum would be crazy low at any reasonable idle speed. Given the set up you described and the intended use, I see no reason to spend the money for a roller cam set up. While the cam may "Thump" it is not close to being what you need for your combination and usage. While this cam also has a silly name, "Voodoo", it is a much better fit to your combination. Please do not take this as an optimal suggested cam. https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1621&gid=287

My best advice is to call Bullet cams and get a recommendation for a quasi-custom cam. It is not that much more than an off the shelf cam.

Good Luck,

Chuck

My car is a 4-speed 4v headed setup and my camshaft is the rowdiest I dare to deal with for a good driving car. It is custom for my setup and made for a solid flat tappet lifter with a stout valvetrain, but the duration numbers should be an indicator that the cam you have selected is even rowdier than mine. If you tried to use it behind an automatic trans it would be a very poor performer without a big stall converter.

With most cam profiles, smaller is better unless you live at the track and can deal with the poor drivability.

I would recommend something along these lines for a a good driver. K32-242-4

And install new valves to ditch the multi grooved keepers. Ferrea 5000 series valves are plenty good for a street car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to input, I do have mildon one piece ss valves rdy to go in the heads.

I live 5mins from the track and will be there a lot and will still want to use the car around town but , I'm not worried about street manners as such. I'm sure every ones street manners is different too. I would like a tire roaster and a mean sounding machine that actually goes quick lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My car is a 4-speed 4v headed setup and my camshaft is the rowdiest I dare to deal with for a good driving car. It is custom for my setup and made for a solid flat tappet lifter with a stout valvetrain, but the duration numbers should be an indicator that the cam you have selected is even rowdier than mine. If you tried to use it behind an automatic trans it would be a very poor performer without a big stall converter.

With most cam profiles, smaller is better unless you live at the track and can deal with the poor drivability.

I would recommend something along these lines for a a good driver. K32-242-4

And install new valves to ditch the multi grooved keepers. Ferrea 5000 series valves are plenty good for a street car.
With this cam, I would be concerned with detonation (assuming he wants to run on pump gas and have a static CR of ~10:1). George Pence recommends a cam that closes the intake valve at 70 deg ABDC to stay below a dynamic CR of 8:1....I think 70 degrees gives some margin and is actually ~7.6:1. I ran the numbers and came up with 57 degrees ABDC.

Personally never had anything to do with the "Thumper" series cams from Comp, let alone seen any figures of them. The guys I know reckon all they're good for is to sound tough and not real great for performance wise, so why sound tough and not back it up at the track. Best thing to do is like Chuck has said and have a cam made to suit your combination to give you the performance you're seeking. Might not sound as lumpy as the comp cam, but will definitely give you the power you're after.

Mine is a windsor and not a cleveland but I really like my comp 280 magnum cam I am running. It has a great sounding idle and it just screams when the loud pedal is mashed. Vacuum at idle isn't great but the brakes work okay with this cam.

Back