1971 Mach l

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2001 Cobra convertible. 1971 Mach 1 351 C 4V 4 speed
I'm sure someone can solve this for me. My front fenders have small cuts in the lip of the wheel well arch. I don't know if this is normal or somewhere in the past it was done to run larger tires so they wouldn't rub. Looks like rub marks on the inner fender.

IMG_2076.JPGIMG_2077.JPG

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Not sure about the small cuts. They do look very uniform.

But it appears the lip has been crimped/mashed up to clear wider tires.

Ray

it looks to me like somebody made those cuts (relief cuts) so they could push in the lip to allow more room for a wider tire or different offset wheel and it rubbed anyway or it was rubbing before hand. Either way I'm pretty sure were not done at the factory.

If you're wanting a more correct car, then 'correct them.' 15x8 Magnums will fit under there without having to worry about scrubbing the inside of the fenders.

I have 15x8 Cragars with 245/60R15s on mine (up front), and there are no issues.

If you're wanting a more correct car, then 'correct them.' 15x8 Magnums will fit under there without having to worry about scrubbing the inside of the fenders.

I have 15x8 Cragars with 245/60R15s on mine (up front), and there are no issues.
Thanks Mister 4x4. I see you have a shooter's award. Does this qualify?

Mac 10 9mm.xlsx

Attachments

• Mac 10 9mm.xlsx
    818.9 KB · Views: 17

Thanks Mister 4x4. I see you have a shooter's award. Does this qualify?
Why, yes... Yes it does. ::thumb:: :cool:

There - fixed it for ya.

I remembered reading an article one time that talked about Mustangs with rolled/flattened fender lips. I found it again! Although it has no relation to yours its an interesting read :cool: https://books.google.ca/books?id=U8cqIFRhzD4C&lpg=PA27&ots=4NJrYyZ75z&dq=mustang%20fender%20lip%20rolled%20flattened&pg=PA27#v=onepage&q=mustang%20fender%20lip%20rolled%20flattened&f=false

I'm sure someone can solve this for me. My front fenders have small cuts in the lip of the wheel well arch. I don't know if this is normal or somewhere in the past it was done to run larger tires so they wouldn't rub. Looks like rub marks on the inner fender.

I remembered reading an article one time that talked about Mustangs with rolled/flattened fender lips. I found it again! Although it has no relation to yours its an interesting read :cool: https://books.google.ca/books?id=U8cqIFRhzD4C&lpg=PA27&ots=4NJrYyZ75z&dq=mustang%20fender%20lip%20rolled%20flattened&pg=PA27#v=onepage&q=mustang%20fender%20lip%20rolled%20flattened&f=false

Interesting. Thanks for the article. This car doesn't look like it was modified anywhere else but you never know.

Back