Headers for 351c 4v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefabg123321

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code vert
Looking to finish of rebuild of my 72 Q code vert with 351c 4v. Appears both exhaust manifolds were cracked so thinking of going with shorties or standard length headers. Or maybe just standard manifolds? We tweaked the cam just a touch and slight bore on cylinders so engine will get a slight boost over stock.

Looking for an easy install header for my car which has power steering and manual transmission...any recommendations? Tks, Adam

I used Hooker comp headers in my 73 Q code vert and were the easiest headers I've ever fitted to a road vehicle in my life. They slipped in from underneath very easily and to do the bolts up on to the heads was also very easy. It says on some listings that they don't fit on 71's with P/steer, but I had no dramas with it, a little tight in there but nothing crazy. Also they are one of the only headers to fit the C6 and had no issues there either, so your top loader shouldn't be any problem at all. After I fitted the headers I got my exhaust guy to do a 2 1/4 in dual system with a balance pipe and I get compliments on its sound all the time. My engine is a basically standard with 93 000 miles on it, the only non stock parts are: Hooker comp headers, 750 vac sec Holley, Edlebrock Performer, Rollmaster red label timing set, Tuffbond street balancer and distributor recurred and converted with a Pertronix 2 igniter and coil. While it's no race engine, she still gets up and goes alright for what she is and actually surprises a few people too, especially when they're told that's it's original milage on it, lol. All the best with it and hope it all goes well for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to finish of rebuild of my 72 Q code vert with 351c 4v. Appears both exhaust manifolds were cracked so thinking of going with shorties or standard length headers. Or maybe just standard manifolds? We tweaked the cam just a touch and slight bore on cylinders so engine will get a slight boost over stock.

Looking for an easy install header for my car which has power steering and manual transmission...any recommendations? Tks, Adam
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headers-fps-hooker-comp-sanderson-351c-4v

Anyone have any thoughts on Sanderson block huggers?

No idea about Sanderson headers at all. I like the idea of a shorty but I have read a lot of mixed reviews about their quality..

I have always liked Hooker headers because of their quality and fitment. Originally I got a set of the Competition headers 4V and they were easy to install with no fitment issues with power steering and the C6 and was able to install them with the car on jack stands. Ground clearance with these were really good too. These headers have a 3" collector diameter and are good for overall performance. Part way through my build I decided I wanted the Super Comps so I pulled the Comp ones out and put the new ones in. They have a tighter clearance especially around the motor mounts and the motor had to be raised off the mounts to get them in but once attached there were no clearance issues. These are 3 1/2" collector and ground clearance could be an issue with these as they drop a little lower than the Comp ones. The set that I put on my car in 73 had 2 pin holes in them after 57,000 miles on them.

I also have the Hooker Super Comp. Can't forget to lay the drivers side in before you set the engine because you can't sneak it in there once it's set down.

I had a clearance issue with them with the C6 as I had a deep sump pan on the trans. Had to get persuasive with the hammer... on the pan.

Other than the snug fit I'm happy with them.

I have always liked Hooker headers because of their quality and fitment. Originally I got a set of the Competition headers 4V and they were easy to install with no fitment issues with power steering and the C6 and was able to install them with the car on jack stands. Ground clearance with these were really good too. These headers have a 3" collector diameter and are good for overall performance. Part way through my build I decided I wanted the Super Comps so I pulled the Comp ones out and put the new ones in. They have a tighter clearance especially around the motor mounts and the motor had to be raised off the mounts to get them in but once attached there were no clearance issues. These are 3 1/2" collector and ground clearance could be an issue with these as they drop a little lower than the Comp ones. The set that I put on my car in 73 had 2 pin holes in them after 57,000 miles on them.

That's interesting, the comp headers that I used was tight around the tranny pan but the Super comp didn't come close to the pan. I wonder what the difference is as I am also using a deep sump pan. First pic is comp header, second is the super comp. You can see the passenger side gets close to the tranny pan with the comp headers for me. The super comp doesn't even get close to the pan.

I also have the Hooker Super Comp. Can't forget to lay the drivers side in before you set the engine because you can't sneak it in there once it's set down.

I had a clearance issue with them with the C6 as I had a deep sump pan on the trans. Had to get persuasive with the hammer... on the pan.

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Now that I think of it I think mine were for a 70 Mustang. They work but I wonder if thats why its so tight.

I have Hooker comp headers on my 73 Q code vert with 351c 4v C6 trans. Had to take them off to remove engine for rebuild. Really easy. They work well with my Flow-master exhaust as well. Not expecting any issues putting them back on when engine comes back.

Guys,

I agree with the suggestion that Sanderson headers are questionable in quality and fitment. I and many of my hot rod buddies have tried to use them many times and it is always an issue. Personally I purchased (2) sets and sent them both back for credit. The woman owner is difficult at best to deal with and of coarse, is never wrong. This ended up costing me around a $100.00 in return shipping fees to California. Any other choice would be a better one !!!

Thanks, Jay

I have Hooker comp headers on my 73 Q code vert with 351c 4v C6 trans. Had to take them off to remove engine for rebuild. Really easy. They work well with my Flow-master exhaust as well. Not expecting any issues putting them back on when engine comes back.
Will someone please verify that the Hooker comp headers run exactly parallel the frame rails ?

The set I have now (warn out) angle towards each other, complicating

(cost) to add an x pipe system.

Yes I know there are pictures on this thread, but pictures can be deceptive.

thanks in advance fella's

Boilermaster

Here is a pic of super comps (they are ceramic coated) on my 71. Hope it helps.

image.jpeg

4mm,

Are you sure that yours are the Super Comps? Look at the bolt pattern on the collector and from your pic the pipes seem to angle in some. The Super comp bolt pattern is different. I had attached 2 pics earlier on the 1st page of this thread that shows the difference, the top is the Comp and the second pic is the Super Comp. Look at the collector flange bolt pattern. Hooker could have changed this recently to account for the differences so I am not saying yours are not, I bought mine about a year ago.

Blmeis,

The super comp runs parallel to the car. I installed the Pypes X pipe system and did not have to bend any pipes to connect up to the collector.

EDIT: Also look at Boss 351 (Wade) post on the first page, he modified his collector flange to gain the additional clearance because of the way that single bolt is. I have seen his car and it does provide the additional clearance.

Mine are about 10 years old. They have a super comp name plate on one of the tubes. That may explain the difference.

4mm,

Are you sure that yours are the Super Comps? Look at the bolt pattern on the collector and from your pic the pipes seem to angle in some. The Super comp bolt pattern is different. I had attached 2 pics earlier on the 1st page of this thread that shows the difference, the top is the Comp and the second pic is the Super Comp. Look at the collector flange bolt pattern. Hooker could have changed this recently to account for the differences so I am not saying yours are not, I bought mine about a year ago.

Blmeis,

The super comp runs parallel to the car. I installed the Pypes X pipe system and did not have to bend any pipes to connect up to the collector.

EDIT: Also look at Boss 351 (Wade) post on the first page, he modified his collector flange to gain the additional clearance because of the way that single bolt is. I have seen his car and it does provide the additional clearance.
Ok,

So I am getting, there must of been a production change somewhere down the line here.

I should be safe in getting headers that run parallel to the car now ?

Boilermaster

That's interesting, the comp headers that I used was tight around the tranny pan but the Super comp didn't come close to the pan. I wonder what the difference is as I am also using a deep sump pan. First pic is comp header, second is the super comp. You can see the passenger side gets close to the tranny pan with the comp headers for me. The super comp doesn't even get close to the pan.

I*'m guessing there were no fitment issues with the Gear Vendors unit with the pipes using some of the tunnel area?

Went with Doug thorley long tube headers. I had some feedback on the firmament and quality and decided they would work best for me!

Back