I Lifted My '73 Mach 1 Today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
Yep, I bit the bullet. At 54 I just don't like rolling around on the concrete. I have already tweaked the clutch and parking brake adjustments and found bolt missing from one of the exhaust hangers. Between playing and oil changes on my wife's German cars it should be paid off in a few years.

Your poor Ford has to sleep in the same room with all that sauerkraut! i have an all american garage right next to my 71 she can sleep in!! LMAO But she looks good sitting up there looking down on them like a boss.

Hey Ed,

I'm very jealous. That's a great investment and i'd love to do the same, but i haven't got enough head height in my corral to put one in. So congrats. I know what you mean about rolling around on a concrete floor. I'm still doing it regards my job, and i'm in my late fifties - not much fun.:-/:-/ Nice layout you have there too.::thumb::

BTW - Keep a watchful eye out for any fluid leakage coming from the Mustang, be it petrol, tranny or engine oil, or brake fluid. If you do get any drips on the car's paintwork parked below, move in super fast and remove asap, as the fluids will spoil and damage your paint work. I believe you can purchase pro made, removable metal drip trays that get placed down the middle of the hoist to safeguard this from happening. Worth thinking about for sure.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Awesome. Yeah if I had the head room I would have done this as well. Swapping an Atlas transfer case under the jeep took something like six weekends on my back. Or replacing the engine in the Liberty and the time I spent underneath. And the GV addition to the Mustang would have been much easier with a lift for sure! As it is I want to swap out my torque converter for a with a stall speed more friendly to my 351 4v but that means pulling the engine or laying on my back... ;)

I don't have the room for a full lift, so I researched alternatives and came up with this Babco scissor lift. I love the versatility and the fact that you can drive over it when not in use. It takes up very little space when in the down position.

Like others, I spent the last 37 years on my back and as I grow older wanted an easier way to work on cars. I don't change transmissions that often, if ever, so a unit such as this is perfect for my day to day use. A great investment (including full lifts) if you work on cars...

71 Vert Stripping on My New Hoist.jpg

Your poor Ford has to sleep in the same room with all that sauerkraut! i have an all american garage right next to my 71 she can sleep in!! LMAO But she looks good sitting up there looking down on them like a boss.

lollerz

Hey Ed,

I'm very jealous. That's a great investment and i'd love to do the same, but i haven't got enough head height in my corral to put one in. So congrats. I know what you mean about rolling around on a concrete floor. I'm still doing it regards my job, and i'm in my late fifties - not much fun.:-/:-/ Nice layout you have there too.::thumb::

BTW - Keep a watchful eye out for any fluid leakage coming from the Mustang, be it petrol, tranny or engine oil, or brake fluid. If you do get any drips on the car's paintwork parked below, move in super fast and remove asap, as the fluids will spoil and damage your paint work. I believe you can purchase pro made, removable metal drip trays that get placed down the middle of the hoist to safeguard this from happening. Worth thinking about for sure.

Cheers,

....great advice Greg! I WANT one!!!! ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ed,

Cheers,

Thanks Greg. Yes I recall the size of our garage in Chelmer.... Good advice and the lift came with four "sumps", each about four inches deep and sixteen inches wide, that slide along the rails or can be removed. Three are set up with drain plugs, the other built much stouter to allow a tranny and such to be set into it. So any leaks would be captured. Amazing to me, frankly, is short of a minor leak on my steering box adjustment nut the car has no leaks. I do see that my rear leaf spring bushing need to be replaced. More inspections to come. I now really want to work on the car.

Thanks Greg. Yes I recall the size of our garage in Chelmer.... Good advice and the lift came with four "sumps", each about four inches deep and sixteen inches wide, that slide along the rails or can be removed. Three are set up with drain plugs, the other built much stouter to allow a tranny and such to be set into it. So any leaks would be captured. Amazing to me, frankly, is short of a minor leak on my steering box adjustment nut the car has no leaks. I do see that my rear leaf spring bushing need to be replaced. More inspections to come. I now really want to work on the car.
Ed,

Cheers. Yeah, i think the drip trays are the way to go for peace of mind. It's amazing what you can find going on underneath the car when you have a hoist at your disposal. Like the boys did above, i too, want to buy a scissor lift for my shed - i think they are a great concept, and a good compromise if you can't fit a full blown four post hoist in your corral.

Also, i sometimes think it's a pity that our paths never crossed when you were living in Brisbane. It would have been great to connect and hang out with you and play with the Mustangs as well. Oh well, that's the timing of life i guess, isn't it.:whistling: Enjoy your lift man.::thumb::

How high does your ceiling need to be for one of these? I would love one.
Hi Tim,

The heights of the hoists themselves will vary from brand to brand and model to model. My advice would be to look up some companies on the net, and see their tech specs for their hoist heights, then take the height of a Mach 1 for example, and add that to the hoist's max lifting platform/deck height.(not max overall height) That should give a good indication of your maximum ceiling height you will need to install a hoist in your garage.

Reference -

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/4-Post-Lifts-s/290.htm

Cheers,

Thanks guys good advise, EdM since we live fairly close how about we get together one day, would love to check out your lift.
Absolutely. PM incoming.

Back