351c +fmx out together?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davechesnut

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang grande
all i have left is the motor mount bolts(i hope,allways seems like a hose or something is forgotten) and the motor and tranny are ready to come out. i"ll be removing it with a hydraulic engine hoist and a lift plate mounted to the intake manifold where the carb goes. can i get away with removing the engine and tranny in one shot or am i being lazy and dreaming. the tranny is loose and ready with bolts and lines disconnected etc.

That is the way i did it but, i took off my Rad support becaue i had to replace it also.

I also had a jack under the tranny to help support it a little.

Someone else will be along with more info for ya.

Good luck and be carefull

all i have left is the motor mount bolts(i hope,allways seems like a hose or something is forgotten) and the motor and tranny are ready to come out. i"ll be removing it with a hydraulic engine hoist and a lift plate mounted to the intake manifold where the carb goes. can i get away with removing the engine and tranny in one shot or am i being lazy and dreaming. the tranny is loose and ready with bolts and lines disconnected etc.
I pulled them and installed them together by myself. Use a leveler as well as a lift plate and take your time. It isn't that bad. I unbolted the headers removed the accessories, the radiator and the hood, everything else stayed on and it was no problem. Don't forget the steering wheel lock out rod and watch the tranny dipstick tube.

I pulled both, be careful not to extend the crane arm out to the end of the crane base. I had mine all the way out and the end close to the jack was coming off the floor. Those engines are very heavy.

It depends what you are going to do--if you are taking the trans out anyway, why not pull both at once? But it is a preference--it can be done either way. Good luck and get some help!

the first time i took my engine and trans out i didn't have a load balancer on the engine crane, it came out find just had to push down on the trans to clear the rad support and needed a lot of ceiling height almost hit the garage door.

the second time i used a load balancer and it made it a lot easier, think about getting one.

something like this

http://www.amazon.com/4000-Leveler-Engine-Hoist-Crane/dp/B001P5UWUW

Oh one thing people always forget:

Remember to loosen and remove the parking brake cable get it out of the way.

If you decide to leave the tranny in then make sure it is supported before you pull the engine off of it. I would leave the tranny in if I wasn't going to have it worked on. If you are, pull them both. I have done this a few times with no problems.

After years of doing the eingine and trans together I changed and now I do them seperately. It is easier to get the engine in and lined up if the transmission is not on the motor.

Andy

Cool, just noticed you are in WF Texas, I lived there for a couple of years back around 98/99. Hung out in a little place called the Beer Garden when it was in the old side of town. Oh and the HubCap.

It can be done.

http://honors.umd.edu/Dean/images/hoist2.jpg

I prefer to use the lift tabs that bolt on where there exhaust manifolds go, instead of the intake.

Just take it slow and easy. It helps to have a buddy who can tilt the back down so the front clears the radiator support easier. It really helps to have a buddy when you're putting it all back in. Be careful of the trans cooling lines to the radiator - they're easy to forget and easy to catch on something.

here is mine.

302 and fmx out at same time....my first time!

piece a cake.

2ton engine hoist and leveler.

2011-05-14 11.51.24.jpg

Back