429 CJ Carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra.ca

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I 429CJ
I am looking for a 429 CJ Rochester carburetor for 4 spd. car with A/C. Part #7040285, Autolite tag D0OF-F. Can anyone help?

I am looking for a 429 CJ Rochester carburetor for 4 spd. car with A/C. Part #7040285, Autolite tag D0OF-F. Can anyone help?
Keep checking the auction sites, they come up once in a while. I found mine by googling the specific carb and a place in New Jersey had one on the shelf... Cheers

Last edited:
cobra.ca, hope you have patience and $$, as Pastel Blue posted you'll need both. Problem is a short 2 year utilization of the Quadrajet on the 71 CJ Mustang, 70-71 Torino, sister Mercury cars, and the 71 Police Interceptor.

With a CJ, 4sp, and AC , the following is the info I have on your application. Ford ID# DOOF-F, Ford P/N DOOZ-9510-F, Motorcraft P/N CA-773, Rochestor #7040285.

Even though there were 4 different carburetors used originally, by 1975 they had all been replaced by one service unit. Ford ID# DOOF-B, Ford P/N DOOZ-9510-B, Motorcraft P/N CA-771, Rochestor #7040288.

As Pastel Blue suggested, just keep checking all the auction sites and Google your info and hopefully something will show.

I have had some carburetor work performed by Pony Carburetor's but understand they are now owned by Champion Carburetor. http://www.championcarburetor.com/ Might be worth a try to contact them at the number they show and explain what your in need of and what they suggest. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a few for sale on eBay since September so be patient and keep looking. Are you looking for a specific date or will any build date be ok? If you need a build date you might want to post that too so we can keep an eye out.

As has been said they do pop up from time to time, but depends how far you're looking for it to be correct, like date codes etc. Maybe run an ad on a few sites stating exactly what you're after with the Q-Jet. Like everything in the restoration game these days, it's all time and money. Good luck with the search.

If this D0OF-B will work for you, check out Craigslist in St. Louis MO. Search for 429cj.

This guy has several ads for an amazing stash of parts....and some amazing prices!

He even has a Boss 429....less than 20k on it with the motor rebuilt in the 80s, I think. Hasn't been run since rebuild, so he says.

Still looking!
Where are the numbers to identify these carbs, I bought a used 429cj around 1976 out of a running car but my car had the screen motor and I had the Holley carb for it so today I pulled my quadrajet out of the cabinet it's been in since then and it also has the heat controlled choke control with it

The ID numbers for the Quadrajet are on the left rear of the carb body. They also had the metal tags like used on other Ford carburetors but we know what happened to most of those! If yours is the right model number and still has the choke "Stove"  in good shape, sounds like you need to get in touch with cobra.ca and offer him a deal he can't refuse!

quadrajet_LI.jpg

The ID numbers for the Quadrajet are on the left rear of the carb body. They also had the metal tags like used on other Ford carburetors but we know what happened to most of those! If yours is the right model number and still has the choke "Stove"  in good shape, sounds like you need to get in touch with cobra.ca and offer him a deal he can't refuse!
7040287 is the number stamped on mine its a 429 manual trans card without a/c with a date code of 3119 which makes it November 7, 1969

I am still looking for the correct carb.  I have a 7040287 (4 spd. w/o air) that I would trade for a 7040285 if anyone is interested.

For the amount the seller wants for it, the carb should already be rebuilt, new dichromate plating treatment, ready to go.  Most that I have seen for sale are that way.  In addition to the exhaust manifold heat stove and battery heat shield, the original, numbers-correct carb is one of the few details my J-Code is missing.  Of course all the details I just listed are super-expensive and hard to find too....  

I have a true Ford Q-jet on it, just not *exactly* the right one.  It's close enough that I'm not looking to spend $1,500-2,000 to get the right one.

Back