NOX ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code manual steering manual brakes power windows air conditioning fold down rear seat NOX emissions system medium yellow gold ginger interior
:DMy car still boasts the original paint and interior it's full numbers matching I'm stumped on this emissions system any pictures or input would be much appreciated thank you

Marti report.pdf

Attachments

• Marti report.pdf
    287 KB · Views: 58
egr was not on 71 and 72 cars.

Thermactor is what ford called the smog pump, but this was what NOX meant for 1971 mustang

"NOX kit" for $50.

The kit consisted of 2 rubber plugs to remove the vacuum advance line and 2 stickers.

One sticker had to be placed in the engine bay and the other on the dash.

Without the stickers permanently attached, they wouldn't SMOG the car.

that in a nut shell is what NOX was.

this retarded timing and reduced NOX at idle for smog emissions test passing. it was because the car came with a 351 V4.

cool car with options btw :D

this is a good one also

Delete Automatic Seat Back Release

Ford had major issues with the seat back release system and they pulled them from the production line, so the early 71 cars have them and later ones don't, the release system came back in 73 i guess after they worked out the bugs.

Thermactor is what ford called the smog pump, but this was what NOX meant for 1971 mustang

"NOX kit" for $50.

The kit consisted of 2 rubber plugs to remove the vacuum advance line and 2 stickers.

this retarded timing and reduced NOX at idle for smog emissions test passing. it was because the car came with a 351 V4.

this is a good one also

Ford had major issues with the seat back release system and they pulled them from the production line, so the early 71 cars have them and later ones don't, the release system came back in 73 i guess after they worked out the bugs.
Whats the seat back release? What kind of problems did they have? Mine is an early 1971 so i am curious.

1971 M-code Mach 1

"NOX kit" for $50.

this is a good one also

Whats the seat back release? What kind of problems did they have? Mine is an early 1971 so i am curious.

1971 M-code Mach 1
When you open the door the seat back release had a solenoid so that you didn't have to manually pull the release to push the seat back forward to get in the back seat. I don't know of any issues with it, just additional cost for the option.

"NOX kit" for $50.

this is a good one also

Back in 73 or 74 when I first registered my stang in Calif. they required that it had NOX system installed. It looked like a coil with one wire , attached to the + side of the coil and two vacuum tubes coming out of it. One went to the carb and the other to the distributor. It retarded the vacuum advance.

I belive the next year someone sued the state for making them go buy something that didn't come with their new car and won. That was that.

Bru

"NOX kit" for $50.

this is a good one also

1971 M-code Mach 1
When you open the door the seat back release had a solenoid so that you didn't have to manually pull the release to push the seat back forward to get in the back seat. I don't know of any issues with it, just additional cost for the option.
As it was electro-mechanical in operation within the high back area of the bucket seats, it would jam a lot, making it difficult for the seat to automatically release as was the intent.

Thank you for the compliment on my Car I appreciate it . when I got the Marty report I almost fell on the floor lol the reason for going for a 71 was so that I didn't have to worry about all this nonsense but I have to put it back to factory from what I gather this is the system that ran off of the speedometer as well please correct me if I'm wrong and any pictures of how to set up goes would be highly appreciated I can't find anything online that's even remotely helpful there is a bracket just above the passenger side manifold it's in the shape of a U like it should hold something more than likely an emissions canister of some kind but what's really stumping me is the vacuum routing system for this system on my vacuum tree I have three prongs for vacuum lines which were capped off probably because somebody ripped off all the parts from the NOX system and also from what I gather it's a special gas tank as well with the California missions so if anybody has one laying around I'll take it lol

Have seen very few 71's with the NOX (Nitrogen oxides) emissions system on the east coast. Could possibly have been someone in the military or that was going to be in a strict emissions controlled state for sometime. If the system is still intact, you could check the ID# on you distributor to see if it is a "California" model. There are probably additional vacuum control and delay valves in and around your air cleaner, carb, and distributor.

The 72's with the NOX system were easier to ID since the air cleaner had the flex tube attached to the duct and valve. These were considered California cars and there again was something we saw little of unless someone in the Military got transferred to our area. Then in 73 with ever tightening emissions laws, the air cleaner with the flex hose was installed on everything and our friend the EGR Valve made an appearance.

Don't know much about the "Delete" on the auto seat back release. Could have been a supplier issue or a operational problem. Pastel Blue's response was probably the closest to what actually happened. While not a Mustang, I had a 79 XR7 Cougar that had the auto seat back releases. Most of the time they worked fine. I learned not to leave the doors open for extended periods of time such as when you've washed the car and are cleaning the interior. The relay that was powering the solenoids to stay open, would over heat to the point that the solenoids would start "Fluttering" off and on as the relay headed for self destruction. It eventually got so hot it melted the fuse block were it was mounted. Thank goodness the car was still under warranty! So...not trying to scare anyone with them on their 73's, was probably just a bad relay on mine.

Thank you for the compliment on my Car I appreciate it . when I got the Marty report I almost fell on the floor lol the reason for going for a 71 was so that I didn't have to worry about all this nonsense but I have to put it back to factory from what I gather this is the system that ran off of the speedometer as well please correct me if I'm wrong and any pictures of how to set up goes would be highly appreciated I can't find anything online that's even remotely helpful there is a bracket just above the passenger side manifold it's in the shape of a U like it should hold something more than likely an emissions canister of some kind but what's really stumping me is the vacuum routing system for this system on my vacuum tree I have three prongs for vacuum lines which were capped off probably because somebody ripped off all the parts from the NOX system and also from what I gather it's a special gas tank as well with the California missions so if anybody has one laying around I'll take it lol
You should be ok with your fuel tank since all 71-73 Mustangs used the same tank. The 71-3 Mustangs utilized a charcoal canister that captured fuel vapors from the tank and stored them until engine start up, so no need for a "California" tank. There should be a Ford blue canister about half the size of a large can of coffee near the rear of the right shock tower. On the top of the canister would be a vent cap, a corrugated hose to the air cleaner and a rubber hose leading to a metal line that ran to the fuel tank.(If yours is there). If yours is missing you could always contact Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply (Forum Member and Vender) who could probably help acquire what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have seen very few 71's with the NOX (Nitrogen oxides) emissions system on the east coast. Could possibly have been someone in the military or that was going to be in a strict emissions controlled state for sometime. If the system is still intact, you could check the ID# on you distributor to see if it is a "California" model. There are probably additional vacuum control and delay valves in and around your air cleaner, carb, and distributor.

The 72's with the NOX system were easier to ID since the air cleaner had the flex tube attached to the duct and valve. These were considered California cars and there again was something we saw little of unless someone in the Military got transferred to our area. Then in 73 with ever tightening emissions laws, the air cleaner with the flex hose was installed on everything and our friend the EGR Valve made an appearance.

Don't know much about the "Delete" on the auto seat back release. Could have been a supplier issue or a operational problem. Pastel Blue's response was probably the closest to what actually happened. While not a Mustang, I had a 79 XR7 Cougar that had the auto seat back releases. Most of the time they worked fine. I learned not to leave the doors open for extended periods of time such as when you've washed the car and are cleaning the interior. The relay that was powering the solenoids to stay open, would over heat to the point that the solenoids would start "Fluttering" off and on as the relay headed for self destruction. It eventually got so hot it melted the fuse block were it was mounted. Thank goodness the car was still under warranty! So...not trying to scare anyone with them on their 73's, was probably just a bad relay on mine.

You should be ok with your fuel tank since all 71-73 Mustangs used the same tank. The 71-3 Mustangs utilized a charcoal canister that captured fuel vapors from the tank and stored them until engine start up, so no need for a "California" tank. There should be a Ford blue canister about half the size of a large can of coffee near the rear of the right shock tower. On the top of the canister would be a vent cap, a corrugated hose to the air cleaner and a rubber hose leading to a metal line that ran to the fuel tank.(If yours is there). If yours is missing you could always contact Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply (Forum Member and Vender) who could probably help acquire what you need.
The blue canister is there behind the passenger shock tower so thats good, there's also a bracket just above the passenger side exhaust manifold that looks like it held some sort of canister most likely for emissions of course at some point in time but it is now missing. Thank you I will get in touch with Ohio Mustang supply and see what they have I appreciate it guys thanks again!

I have this unit as well it's near the other vacuum canister on the passenger shock tower area this particular bracket is in the shape of a half moon and it sits above the exhaust manifold towards towards the rear of the engine not beside it I'll take a picture of it and post it when I get home later so you can see what I'm talking about

I just spoke to Don from Ohio Mustang what a super nice guy thank you for referring me to him, as far the n0x system he says pretty much all it does is run off of my vacuum tree on my manifold my particular one has 3 stems coming out of it and all it does is change the timing according to engine temperature and that was the NOX system for 1971 also part of that system is a hose that runs from my vapor canister behind the shock tower to the air cleaner. It seems all they needed to do with a 351 4 barrel to pass California smog emissions was retard a little timing out of it at idle and that was that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back