Do 71-73 Mustang PS Pitman Arms Wear Out?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
Do 71-73 Mustang power steering pitman arms and idler arms wear out?

I have searched the web and there are conflicting opinions. Most say the pitman arms are a non wear item unless you really drive the car hard and has high miles. Idlers supposedly do wear out.

If they wear out, is there a recommended re-builder? Can the idler arms be rebuilt with higher performance bushings?

Thanks in advance.

Just this week I replaced my idler arm whilst trying to have the car aligned. The PO replaced the pitman a couple of years (1000 miles) ago. So, yes.

Yes they do and boy you can tell the difference when you replace one. It wears out over time and you don't feel the change because it's so gradual but when you replace it you sure can feel it.

I agree, they for sure wear out. I replaced mine last year & what a difference! I don't know of a rebuilder, but I got one from Ohio Mustang Supply. Real nice part w/Ford logo on it. Plus I think it was only 50 bucks.

Thanks guys. Any roller bearing kits out there for the idler arms?

There are no roller bearings at this part, only bushings, and they can be changed, it's what I did on my Grandé.

Yes. Like anything else on these cars, with use and time, it wears. When I first got my car, it was a running, driving, presentable car, however, still an older used car. One of the best things I did shortly after getting the car, was to purchase EVERYTHING new for the front suspension...upper & lower arms, new coil springs, shocks, pitman & idler arms, inner & outer tie rod ends, strut rod bushings, spring perches, travel stop bumpers, sway bar and frame mounts, sway bar end links, spring insulator do-nuts. I did the same for the back axle suspension too. 

I took the car to a friends shop and instructed him to "just drop all of the old suspension on the floor", and install all of the new stuff. Afterwards, the car handled like it was on rails, nice and tight. In the 30 years now that I've been driving it since, I have replaced various suspension pieces as they get worn, piece by piece,...it happens when they're driven. I just replaced my rear springs from the ones put on 30 years back.

Some people own a car and never feel the need to replace the P/S steering box, or have the rear end's third member overhauled. They may just be lucky, but everything wears. I've probably changed out worn tires as many times as any. I used to run 14" Goodyear Eagle ST's ( shows you how long ago that was ), they're not made anymore, but have bought 3 sets since of BF Goodrich Radial TA's to my memory, due to the miles I put on the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
That roller bearing arm seems like a good idea, and the price is higher, but not out of range. Next time you go to the grocery store, look at what stuff costs. It's all kinda relative in the big picture. Most of the time the better things just cost more.

Not to appear snooty, but there is an old saying....."Anyone can make something a little bit cheaper in design, price and quailty,.....and those who consider cost only, are that man's lawfull prey."  Just saying........

I know most cannot do but I change bearings all the time. I have access to mills and actual Moore Jig Bore that will hold 10 millionths of an inch. All you need is a $3,000 Bridgport mill and do your own. You can buy the bearings anywhere.
I have added a picture below of what 10 millionths looks like.

That's pretty tight tolerances.

Why there is conflicting opinion on pitman arm wear is there are 2 types. Our cars have a ball joint on the pitman and none on the center link. Other cars will have the ball joint on the center link and none on the pitman. It's just a design choice by the manufacturer. 

I really don't like the idea of rubber bushings in the idler arm. I think some self oiling bronze would be a good choice. I'm sure back then everything was standard inch dimensions. Time to go to the McMaster-Carr catalog. 

Back