427 Cleveland?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
Reading the description of the 351 Boss block from Summit Racing (M-6010-BOSS351BB) is said it comes in either 9.2 or 9.5" deck height as well as accepting a 4.125" bore as well as a 4.250" stroke. So one could easily build a 427 Cleveland. Is there any reason why one wouldn't do this? Especially if 4v heads flow so well ;or even aftermarket heads.. Any foreseen disadvantages? Thanks..

Mike

Plenty of big cube Clevors (Windsor block with Cleveland mains, like that block, with Cleveland heads) over here in Australia. Everything from 427's to 440's, even heard of a few 460+ cubed engines also. Quite a few of these 427,440 cubed engines over here are making well over 800HP on pump gas. As for downside, there is no downside for cubic inches except for maybe budget, lol. Engines like these are as good as the person building them, as these types of engines take more than just banging them together to make them right.

Hopefully by the end of March the trackboss alum block is out on the market. It is from TMeyer and its a Cleveland based block, should be able to get 450+ ci. Cast iron blocks shortly there after.

Wow..ok. Thanks. That would be quite something. Especially since I'm already thinking of a 427 or 438 Windsor for my '68 mustang, a matching Cleveland would be cool for my '73. More than enough power for driving to work..lol

Thanks again..

Oh.. Interesting. I was wondering if I would need a Windsor imtake due to the 9.5" deck.

If you want to build a clever, consider this block. http://www.dartheads.com/products/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/51/ It can go 4.185 on the bore and the cylinder length is longer than the ford racing block so piston selection is larger.

You will need an intake adapter and thermostat housing from this place.http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_ap-14___ap-15__intake_adapter_.html

There are some out of production SVO single plane intakes that can be modified to work without the adapter but, finding one could be a challenge.

You can use 351C 4v headers but, 3 or 4 tubes will need to be relocated.

It is a somewhat complicated build but, very rewarding.

Chuck

Wow, I thought I was just looking at an aftermarket Cleveland block..

Like the Dart block for the Windsor..

Last edited by a moderator:
the tim meyer aluminum block is expected to be around $5500.00 . . one has already been built and is in a pantera.

spacer.png
Here you go. Dan

the tim meyer aluminum block is expected to be around $5500.00 . . one has already been built and is in a pantera.

That would be a nice block but $5000 is a bit much. ?

That would be a nice block but $5000 is a bit much. ?
Well it's never over until it's over so all we can do is wait and see what the final price will be and hop for the best . . At the very least i still think its good to have new options no matter how pricey they might be but i certainly agree, that is a big chunk of change for us average people.

you did notice that i mentioned the first one went into a pantera owners car, lol.

Lol.. I did see that. I was going to get one...but I didn't win the Powerball. I wonder if a huge Windsor (427-438) would be the answer for now. After all, I'm looking for an engine for a daily driver.

Lol.. I did see that. I was going to get one...but I didn't win the Powerball. I wonder if a huge Windsor (427-438) would be the answer for now. After all, I'm looking for an engine for a daily driver.
it depends what your goal is . . if you want massive power down low, the bigger the better, however, that comes with slightly reduced engine life mainly due to the rod angle . . the most common stroker for a windsor is a 408, bt because of the tall block, one can easily go to a 428 and still have a very good rod ratio comparatively speaking but it seems that most people have simply not figured that out yet.

if i wanted a strong daily driver, i would build a 408 or 418 . . some people will say that the extra 10 cubes you get with a 418 isnt worth it but thats only because they never even calculated the rod ratio or possibly compared the cost difference which is actually ZERO.

here's a 418 that only has 650 hp.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/0702phr-budget-418ci-windsor/

That's why I was happy to see a Cleveland block with a 9.5" deck hight. I thought a 427C would be awesome. I really like windsors (grew up with 5.0's). I may still go the Windsor route but it just seems a '73 Mach-1 should have a Cleveland motor..

ok, yeah, i hear ya and definitely agree, but if you do go the windsor route, below is one option.

418 internal balance stroker kit from summit

this cam from summit

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3191&gid=289

these AFR 215 heads from summit

http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=21_104

an eddy vic jr intake from summit

850 cfm hp holley or quick fuel mechanical secondary carb from summit

3.73 thru 4.11 gears

3500 rpm stall if you have an auto.

finally, be afraid

Thank you. I actually already built a 411w for my '68. Big bore with the stroke of a 393 and a set of AFR's. I did a 232/240 hydraulic roller with 8.5:1 for a centrifugal supercharger.

Back