1971 Mach l Resoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2001 Cobra convertible. 1971 Mach 1 351 C 4V 4 speed
I received the Marti Report for my 71 Mach l today and I am somewhat conflicted. While keeping the interior original will be a challenge, I can make the outside conform to about any combination of color, stripes, and wheels that I want. I was leaning toward Bright Lime (Grabber Lime is the original color)with a blacked out hood and stripe kit. Original is attractive to me as well. I have added a picture of the current state of the car and the appearance as it likely came from the factory. I am open to any comments and opinions about which would be the best option. I should be ready to paint some color on interior and covered portions of the car by spring so I need to make a decision in the next couple of months.

Dave

71 MACH 1 Sideview.jpgMach l Factory View.JPG

Grabber Lime with stripes & spoilers will be awesome. ::thumb::

This is the car that inspired me for my project... but I was leaning more toward Grabber Yellow. Then I learned mine was originally a Light Pewter car - then I decided to stick with the original color.

mump_1005_02_o%2525201971_ford_mustang_mach_1%252520front_view.jpg

Grabber lime for sure! Hood black out ::thumb:: Stripe or no stripe,that's a tough call. If you go with stripes, to be correct you will need to remove the lower trim and weld up all the holes.

Me personally on my Mach I'm going stripe less.

Grabber lime for sure! Hood black out ::thumb:: Stripe or no stripe,that's a tough call. If you go with stripes, to be correct you will need to remove the lower trim and weld up all the holes.

Me personally on my Mach I'm going stripe less.
Mike,

The lower trim is in good shape. If I can get it off intact, I'll probably use and just go with the black on the hood to give it a slightly aggressive look.

Dave

I like the Grabber Lime with no side stripes. It gives the car an original look - then you can play with the performance part. It seems that most restos end up with side stripes. Even some of the rare ones. Keeping the side trim and going with the no-stripe look is getting a lot more rare to see.

Good luck!

Ray

My 71 Mach 1 originally came from the factory in grabber green with side stripes and white deluxe interior. As much as I love grabber green, I love grabber lime more. I will be painting my car grabber lime with factory side stripes and white deluxe interior. My decision was based on the fact that the car will not be daily driven and will only come out on the weekends or on a nice day and I want everyone to see me! Lol Have fun with it! Good luck.

My car was originally grabber lime, even though I don't think I will go with it when it's time for paint, I may use it as a pinstripe color to highlight the matte black boss hood appliqué on the gloss black body color. Not sure yet, mind changes about a hundred times every time I think about it!

It seems that most restos end up with side stripes. Even some of the rare ones. Keeping the side trim and going with the no-stripe look is getting a lot more rare to see.
That's kind of one reason I've decided to leave the hockey stripes off my car: mine was originally a "no-stripe car" to begin with. I'd originally thought the stripes were cool, but I also had noticed along the way that the majority of 'restored' cars have the stripes... some of them even with the deluxe rocker trim strips (which we all know is wrong).

Actually, the deluxe rocker trim strips have been growing on me lately, although almost half of the trim pieces were missing from mine when I got the car (4 of 10 were missing - all four pieces from the fenders... which were also damaged with bondo, so that's really no big surprise). Since mine were missing, I just had the body shop grind off the pins that held them onto the doors - the fenders and quarter panels are new repop sheet metal, so it was an easy decision to make.

Mine's also a 'no spoiler' car... which I think I'm going to stick with for awhile at least. They're easy enough to add, after all.

My current plan is to keep it mostly original. No side stripes or spoiler. One concession I will make are the Magnum 500s. I considered the black on the hood (NOT shiny) but will not do that until later if at all. The rocker chrome on mine is passable except the rear quarter ones are missing. I believe I saw reproduction sets for $389 somewhere. The major impediment is the green interior. Every thing is salvageable except the door panels which are not reproduced in green w/decor package. I would have to use standard panels, which I don't want to do or dye some reproduction ones which I also don't want to do. Hopefully I can get to a couple of large swap meets this year and stumble across some. If anyone has dates and locations of these I would appreciate having the information. Carlisle and Charlotte are possibilities.

Back