T-5 Conversion complete

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Converting a 73 from FMX to T-5. If you have something you want to sell or suggestions on sources other than MDL where I can save some coin let me know! Thanks in advance. Wanting to try to get most of the parts sourced by spring so I can start the project when it thaws out. My daughter is excited to help with this one.

T-5 Cross member

Clutch Pedal set up and roller bearings

Clutch cable set up

Flywheel for 351c 157 tooth 28 oz imbalance

10.5" clutch kit complete

Shifter boot

Trans mount (I understand the C4 and toploader will work for a T-5 but the FMX will not)

Pedal Pad for clutch and brake

Slip yoke 28 spline

Hit me up with anything you might have or other places to source the parts at a discount. Trying to do this on a budget so anything I can save on parts is a plus!

Converting a 73 from FMX to T-5. If you have something you want to sell or suggestions on sources other than MDL where I can save some coin let me know! Thanks in advance. Wanting to try to get most of the parts sourced by spring so I can start the project when it thaws out. My daughter is excited to help with this one.

T-5 Cross member

Clutch Pedal set up and roller bearings

Clutch cable set up

Flywheel for 351c 157 tooth 28 oz imbalance

10.5" clutch kit complete

Shifter boot

Trans mount (I understand the C4 and toploader will work for a T-5 but the FMX will not)

Pedal Pad for clutch and brake

Slip yoke 28 spline

Hit me up with anything you might have or other places to source the parts at a discount. Trying to do this on a budget so anything I can save on parts is a plus!
Speedo cable/ Pads /pedal + shaft bearings/ cable/yoke/ MDL

block plate/ flywheel/crossmember/ new/ ebay

Mount / P Plate Disc /TO bearing /Pilot Bearing / starter /Rock Auto

Boot/ Summit

Don't forget the starter, block plate, nuts and bolts, shift lever + ball.

You will need to (shorten I believe from research) the driveline and get a 1310 U joint

for the 28 spline 1310 yoke.

I may try a different cable than the $250 MDL one it's tough to swallow.

I got a Hurst shift lever on ebay but Summit has them for $$$

You can PM me for more info.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on this. I will try to keep this updated as I source items with prices paid for anyone's reference. I got a complete quote from MDL that I am using as a "blueprint" and even after talking to them they mentioned that some parts can be sourced elsewhere for less money if I was willing to do the research. I figured this might help someone with budget concerns who is considering this project. I will start a new thread once the project begins.

T-5 Cross member with Trans mount (NEW EBAY) $95.00

Flywheel for 351c 157 tooth 28 oz imbalance with flywheel bolts (NEW ROCK AUTO) $69.00

10.5" clutch kit complete (NEW ROCK AUTO) $139.00

Slip yoke 28 spline and 1310 U Joint (NEW Amazon) $52.98

1989 WC T-5 from Mustang GT Fresh Rebuild complete with bell, block plate, release, etc. (even came with a used flywheel that I can't use - wrong balance and clutch kit that I am not using - rough) From local transmission shop for $350 (Customer could not pay their bill from over a year ago).

I am following this thread with great interest. Coincidentally, I quoted the whole kit from MDL yesterday. They chose to quote the TKO600 kit instead of the T5, dont know much about the difference at this time. I assume it is torque capacity. However, i am not planning in doing this conversion for a few years so i will learn from your experience. Keep us posted.

The only difference with my plans is that i have a C6 instead of your FMX, but i dont think that makes much of a difference or does it?

1971 M-code Mach 1

The only difference I could see with the C6 Vs the FMX might be a different modification to the driveshaft if the overall length of the C6 is Different than the FMX. I don't know if it is. The TKO600 is a heavy duty trans, I have mostly seen it used in racing applications. What are you running under the hood? my 351c is just a mild build and I don't take it to a track so the T-5 should hold up for my use.

Update! More parts sourced and ordered..

Clutch Cable for 71/73 T-5 Conversion The MDL Cable less dust cover

Clutch Pedal Pad

Brake Pedal Pad M/T Disc Brakes

Clutch fork dust cover for T-5

Ordered all from Mustangs Unlimited $203.22 shipped to my door.

Ordered the rest (I think) of what I am going to need today.

Clutch Pedal and Roller bearing assemble from MDL $208.50 Shipped.

The only item I am missing/have not ordered is a speedo cable. According to MDL my FMX speedo cable should work just fine I will just need to change the gear but I can get that locally when the time comes. I held off on that as I have not decided what I want to run for a rear end. I am running 2.75 now but am considering changing to a 3.5 traclok but wanted to see how the car responds to the T-5 before I make that decision. Once all these parts arrive I will start the build thread. Stay tuned. I have just over $1,100 in parts right now so this can be done on a budget.

Got a smoking deal on the T-5.

1989 WC T-5 from Mustang GT Fresh Rebuild complete with bell, block plate, release, etc. (even came with a used flywheel that I can't use - wrong balance and clutch kit that I am not using - rough) From local transmission shop for $350 (Customer could not pay their bill from over a year ago). That is included in my $1,100 spend. Took a lot of looking to find a trans worth it locally.

Cool. I lived in Fitchburg for a while before moving to Stoughton. Madison is a fun town. Lots to do. I still get up that way once in a while. My sister lives in Lodi.

Well Got my clutch kit on Saturday from Rock Auto. Box was tagged correctly but when I opened up to my dismay was the wrong clutch kit. it fits the correct application it was just the OEM version instead of the performance version from LUK. Got ahold of them on a Saturday. Sent me the return label and shipping out the correct one (I hope) today. Also made a trip to Menards on Sunday to go through the scrap wood bin. Spent about $20 and got a bunch of 3' 2x12 to build some tire blocks to get the car up the in air for the project. For some reason jack stands make me nervous when laying under a car.

Sounds like more goodies arrived today. Wife says two packages arrived. Should be the pedal covers and clutch pedal/roller bearing assembly from MDL! Won't have time to do much with it tonight. Have to go Caucus for the primaries tonight, figured if I don't I won't have the right to complain, not that anyone would listen anyway.

Back