TMI Delouxe Door Panels - AGAIN

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
OK, back in 2014 before Charlotte I had my drivers side OE door panel 8 inch crack in the vinyl fixed. It actually turned out OK and I have left it alone until now. I am going to replace my dash pad and door panels. I would like to go with the TMI panels to match my TMI vinyl on the seats. I have heard TMI did some quality improvements on their door panels since launch.

Has anyone recently purchased TMI door panels and what are your impressions?

Does anyone have a picture of the backing material? I cannot find anything of what the backing looks like.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
i did mine back in 2005 the material matched ok back then.

the backing material back then was thick White Plastic. it looked vacuum formed and the clips were roughly cut out.

the panel needed to have lots of work done to it cutting out all the holes for accessories, and installation of finish pieces.

then more cutting for final fitment. if i remember i spent about a week getting the panels ready to go into the car and it took 2 days of fitment 1 day for each side to get it right.

now back then they only had the handles reproduced for the deluxe panels, they also made the window wiskers, everything was either black or white you had to dye to match. so you had to reuse all the OEM parts to complete the panel. today most of the panel is reproduced so you only need some minor hardware from the OEM panel to complete the reproduction panel.

I had the same experience as 72 H code. I was very pleased with the final product. I'm interested in the crack repair. What process and was the repair by one of the vinyl repair guys, or did you use a DYI kit?

Hey BK,

I'm in the same boat with the same dilemma. I ordered the TMI Sport R upholstery with foam for the seats and have had my local trimmer complete the seats while I have been finishing panel work ready for spray. The seats have come up awesome and I need to place an order for carpet and door panels. The reviews on CJP for the deluxe panels are not particularly encouraging. I would also like to see the vinyl on the panels match the seat vinyl AND the lower carpet strip on the panel match the carpet. The other curve ball is that I feel drawn to the ACC cut pile molded with mass back carpet not the TMI carpet :(

I'd also like to have my trimmer vinyl wrap the quarter trim (NPD have a padding set available) and match the TMI vinyl to the seats and door panels. I will try to buy some yardage directly from TMI but have a gut feel that matching all my vinyl and carpet is gonna be a challenge.

Cheers...

...Mickus

There is a thread on this:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-tmi-deluxe-door-panels?highlight=tmi

I did the mustang marker and which I would have waited for the TMI. The color match for black isn't that good. I even compared it to an original door panel an its off. The TMI is a better match for black. Not sure about the quality but 71mach1lady seems to like the quality.

sdstang thank you I had read that post. I like the way they went with the carbon fiber look, just not original and that is my theme. I am still curious as to what the backing material is. I am aware that Mustang Market uses the PVC backer. I am not sure what TMI is using and how well it fits the door requirements. I will try reaching out to TMI to get some feedback and possibly pictures.

sdstang thank you I had read that post. I like the way they went with the carbon fiber look, just not original and that is my theme. I am still curious as to what the backing material is. I am aware that Mustang Market uses the PVC backer. I am not sure what TMI is using and how well it fits the door requirements. I will try reaching out to TMI to get some feedback and possibly pictures.
BK

Maybe pm 71mach1lady. She has been very helpful in answering my pm's in the past.

Jim

On the door panels and the seats for that matter. I have never seen any that looked right for the Ginger interior. The door panels all look splotchy like someone tried to paint the pattern on. The seat covers also do not look like originals. I spent some time and found good originals to go in the car I am doing, door panels and seat covers along with dash.

On one of my cars with the White deluxe interior I found the place in Oregon that has the original material that is perfect match. I have heard of people buying the original material and sending to TMI and getting them to sew up the covers.

I don't see how anyone could ever have an award winning restoration using the current supply of interiors.

I recently sold a perfect set of black deluxe panels that needed nothing complete ready to bolt on for $500. He sent me email and said he put them on the day he got them so none of the make it fit headaches I hear about.

Do some searching for good originals they seem to be better than the best repo.

David

David, just like you did I bought original Comfortweave and Gray banding from SMS out of Oregon and sent the material to TMI to sew into their pattern with their black material. That is the basis for my interest in trying to stay with TMI to keep the same black vinyl as much as possible. Understandably die lots change, but they do try to quality check to maintain consistency in their lot orders.

Here are my seat covers when received an installed.

P1010332.JPG

P1010472.JPG

David, just like you did I bought original Comfortweave and Gray banding from SMS out of Oregon and sent the material to TMI to sew into their pattern with their black material. That is the basis for my interest in trying to stay with TMI to keep the same black vinyl as much as possible. Understandably die lots change, but they do try to quality check to maintain consistency in their lot orders.

Here are my seat covers when received an installed.
Hey they got the seams much straighter than the factory ones, lol. It is pitiful how crocked they did sew some of them.

Yours look great. They probably use a different type of material for the door panels the originals looks different also. The pattern is just not the same.

I could not remember the SMS to put in my post glad you knew it.

David

BK

Maybe pm 71mach1lady. She has been very helpful in answering my pm's in the past.

Jim
Black PVC is the backside and really the structure, I assume vacuum formed. We used the original wood grain panel as a template for the carbon wrapped ones, the originals would have fit just fine.

Back