Hey does this look correct?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blmeis

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351C "Q"
IMG_20160127_200936396.jpgIMG_20160127_200936396.jpgSo engine is out for rebuild. Was just looking at steering since its been super loose. Looked at my gear box and saw I had no coupler. Is this ok? I know it has an aftermarket "Ididit" steering column but not sure if a coupler is required on most steering. I have my limited knowledge on this. Can any help?

It looks like someone replaced the rag joint with a u-joint coupler. It's a nice upgrade.
Ok good to know its an ok modification and I'm not missing a component that's going to cause me to wreck! Thanks for the help!!

Brian

You don't by any chance happen to know 'which' Ididit column you have, do you? I'm wanting to replace mine, and it would be so much easier than the trial-and-error approach.

Another member has gone with a Flaming River column, and has been helpful so far with spec'ing out the parts, but he only gave us part of the information needed for a steering column swap project (he was illustrating the column swap as just part of an overall bigger project - which is fine, just need more information, that's all).

If you have any info on the column itself, that would be huge! ::thumb::

You mention 'super loose,' where is the play coming from, column side or tie rod linkage? Great time to troubleshoot with the engine being out!

You don't by any chance happen to know 'which' Ididit column you have, do you? I'm wanting to replace mine, and it would be so much easier than the trial-and-error approach.

Another member has gone with a Flaming River column, and has been helpful so far with spec'ing out the parts, but he only gave us part of the information needed for a steering column swap project (he was illustrating the column swap as just part of an overall bigger project - which is fine, just need more information, that's all).

If you have any info on the column itself, that would be huge! ::thumb::
Sorry, but I've got no data on the column. I took the car in for an overall inspection when I first bought it. The techs, who specialize in classic ponies, said it was a GM column! I've looked for a part number on the column itself but can find one. Also looked at Ididit website. Can't narrow it down based on pictures. Wish I could b more helpful. It is a tilt column though which I like.

You mention 'super loose,' where is the play coming from, column side or tie rod linkage? Great time to troubleshoot with the engine being out!
Haven't figured that out yet. I have my jack holding up my transmission right now but plan on using a jack stand for that so I can elevate the front end with my jack to get tires off the ground. Right now when I grab the u joint connecting the column and the gear box and turn it, I see no movement in the pitman arm. I'm thinking this will change if I elevate the tires a bit. Then I can look at how the overall system functions. I looked at the gear box. Has a sticker dated 2009, so I'm assuming it's been rebuilt and may not be the issue. I'm new at diagnosing steering issues so if anyone has knowledge on this I can sure use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back