Scottsdale Auctions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Have been here for a few days, attended Russo & Barrett. Did not see many if any quality 71-73's while here. They may have been here and I missed them in my walkabouts. There are a lot of nice muscle cars in general, just not a lot of Ford material. As others here have stated, prices are down in general, but people are still spending for quality cars. I find that Barrett has way too much non car stuff in the aisles now. Has become very commercialized, grabbing $$ where ever possible. I have never liked Russo's location or more to the point, that the majority of the cars sit in the open on dirt beds. Cars get filthy and even cleaning them will cause problems for the expensive paint jobs on these nice cars. Just my opinion...

I have come to Phoenix the last 6 years, may try something else next year. Phoenix is a nice place to visit. I relied solely on their transit system to get around this year, it is very good overall. Just wish my dollar wasn't so low against the greenback, have to watch the pennies... Good trip overall. Cheers

Last edited:
I was there this week and there were only 2 mustangs like ours, a fastback and a convertible. The Mach 1 sold for $56K ($61K with commission)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there this week and there were only 2 mustangs like ours, a fastback and a convertible. The Mach 1 sold for $56K ($61K with commission)
Saw both of them on the big screen.

The convertible had a very unique , and expensive paint job, changed from Blue/Green/Gold as it was passing through, only sold for $21k

The fastback was unique in that it was painted black ,one of the few from the factory with that color, had paint code A and a Marti report as LCB1 mentioned sold for $56k.

Amazing paint would have that much difference in value and the convertible didn't go for more.

One thing that was disturbing was how one of the commentators stated how the 71-73 were NOT the most loved year of Mustangs. A quick jab of our cars while rolling it away! (Way to support our collector cars Barrett/Jackson!)

The convertible had a very unique , and expensive paint job, changed from Blue/Green/Gold as it was passing through, only sold for $21k

The fastback was unique in that it was painted black ,one of the few from the factory with that color, had paint code A and a Marti report as LCB1 mentioned sold for $56k.

Amazing paint would have that much difference in value and the convertible didn't go for more.

One thing that was disturbing was how one of the commentators stated how the 71-73 were NOT the most loved year of Mustangs. A quick jab of our cars while rolling it away! (Way to support our collector cars Barrett/Jackson!)
That has been going on for ever, slamming the 71-3 cars. In my opinion it is more through ignorance than perceived knowledge of what these cars are all about. One person makes a negative comment about the car and all the followers jump on the band wagon. Would not worry about, these cars are gaining in popularity and their design is unique but was also thought out by Ford engineers Back in the design stages.

Remember, these cars were designed using some of the most exotic European designs of the day as bench marks... The 71-3 cars are under rated because people refuse to be open minded and if they gave the design a chance would likely have a change of heart. Slowly, I have seen some + changes over the last 35+ years... However, we will never get by the all to often mentioned, " you can't see out of that rear window on the fastback", that again goes back to the European designs of the day... BJ announcers are biased...

I saw that too..Confirms what I've been seeing..The majority of buyers want a fastback. That vert was done just as well if not better than the mach BUT it didn't present as well and lets face it unless you have a uber rare vert like Pastel Blue's 429 they are not bringing the big $$$ Thats if you can even sell them..On the other hand Fastbacks that present well even with some minor flaws are still very desirable

It is the Mustang people that don't like our cars.

From my experience, everyone that knows I own

a '71 Mustang wants to see it, ride in and drive it.

My new boss said he heard I owned a '71, he wanted

to see it sometime. The general public love our cars.

mike

we should have set up a meet and greet here. We have been going everyday, living five miles from the show doesn't hurt. All of our Canadian friends said they won't be buying this year but it would have been a good time to sell. Pricing has been odd with some cars bringing way more than they should and other going far under. 1937 Cord sold for $75K, owner wanted $175. Not sure why the Pontiacs are bringing crazy money. Will get some pics of that black 71 posted

I watched some on TV and the prices were all over the place. Ford did not have their usual presence at the auction. The three serial #1 corvettes that sold 1956, 1957 & 1958 if I recall went for about a third of the expected price. The Serial #1 of the 53 and 54 was gone and the 55 sold for something like $160,000 a couple years ago. The three cars together sold for something like $165,000.

The Mecum auction was same was but had way more Ford presence and many sold way below previous prices. It is a whim of the wealthy what they buy and nothing to do with what the cars are really worth. We just have to get the wealthy to think it is cool to own a 71-73 to make the value go up.

David

we should have set up a meet and greet here. We have been going everyday, living five miles from the show doesn't hurt. All of our Canadian friends said they won't be buying this year but it would have been a good time to sell. Pricing has been odd with some cars bringing way more than they should and other going far under. 1937 Cord sold for $75K, owner wanted $175. Not sure why the Pontiacs are bringing crazy money. Will get some pics of that black 71 posted
Here it is. I couldn't believe how much this one went for. Looks nice, but not many options. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-FASTBACK-187153

Must have been two guys there that wanted one as a kid.

Now tell me something. Did the 71 models use the blue paint on the power steering pump like earlier models did or did they just use the wrong info when doing restore on this car? I know the some of the 60's models used the blue, I have a can somewhere of the special color mix. My 72 and 73 cars all have black pumps.

David

Must have been two guys there that wanted one as a kid.

Now tell me something. Did the 71 models use the blue paint on the power steering pump like earlier models did or did they just use the wrong info when doing restore on this car? I know the some of the 60's models used the blue, I have a can somewhere of the special color mix. My 72 and 73 cars all have black pumps.

David
My pump is black.

I believe there were two types of PS pumps, supplied by different vendors. One was teal and the other is black.

Had the televised B-J auction running in the background Sat & Sun. Mustangs overall seemed to have a tough ride through the block, although there were some exceptions (or maybe I should say the usual exceptional cars) that went for high value dollars. Sunday, Watched a couple Boss 302's - looked like they were top end, one struggled to hit the $100K, the other went for $80K-ish. One of the B-J officers was begging for higher bidding on the $100K Boss - wouldn't surprise me if they promised the owner $150+ (not that they will make up the difference).

Also was stunned to see a perfect 69 428CJ sports roof go only for high $30K range Sunday afternoon. Again, B-J was begging for more bids stating car was 'six-figure' example. Someone got a really nice car for bargain price. The owner has to be really pissed off at this one.

It will be interesting to browse through the results once they are available so get a handle on the current market trends for mustangs.

The new owner of that 69 might be the old owner also. Knew someone that took one of the Chrysler cars that was hot a few years ago a Cuda if I remember right. It was when BJ did not allow reserve to be added on any car. When it went across the block he was going to loose like a pile of money so he bought the car himself. He had to pay sellers and buyers fees. He has never gone back.

There is a click of people at BJ that I think bid up some cars to help each other out and if you are not in that click your screwed.

Mecum is in Kansas City in March if the prices keep falling I guess the rich have chosen a new fad.

David

The new owner of that 69 might be the old owner also
Very true, although the sellers usually have an associate that bids and I am sure there is some "I'll buy yours if you buy mine going on". The reality is the one person that is sure to make money each year is Craig Jackson. Steve picked up a 69 Camaro RS/SS clone which was one of the last cars in the auction. Not a steal but not a bad deal either. There are always dealers waiting to pick up the deals. There were a ton of "phone buyers" yesterday. Steve was high bid on a truck that hung at $13K for quite awhile and when the phone bidder went $14K it hammered sold in seconds. Truck was way underpriced

Back