Factory Undercoating

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anything on the market that replicates the heavy factory undercoating used on the 71 Mustangs?

Thanks,

Dave
There is a spray on sound deadener available at O'Reilly Auto Parts (and others) in rattle cans. It looks the same when sprayed on. I used it on my gas tank to duplicate the factory deadener on that.

kcmash

Is there anything on the market that replicates the heavy factory undercoating used on the 71 Mustangs?

Thanks,

Dave
There is a spray on sound deadener available at O'Reilly Auto Parts (and others) in rattle cans. It looks the same when sprayed on. I used it on my gas tank to duplicate the factory deadener on that.

kcmash
Thanks kcmash

Dave,

I haven't seen any aerosols that spray as chunky as the original is. I recall that when they did the undercoat at the dealer it was a pressure fed system to get the thick stuff out there. I would check with 3-M and see if they have anything that you can spray with an old gun.

You do know that MCA does not recognize undercoating as being original except for the small areas they did at the factory. Even though my order form for my Mach 1 has undercoating on it and it was applied while Ford still owned the car it is not considered by MCA as original.

The aerosols come out much smoother but I don't know what you are looking for.

David

I used the spray cans from O'Reilly Auto Parts, and I used a LOT of them. The spray can stuff goes on pretty thin, and requires many coats to get anything that resembles undercoating... which equates to a LOT of cans.

I think I used something like 11 or 12 just for the floor pans, intermediate area, inside wheel houses, and trunk pan. It also still looks like I used a bunch of spray cans under there as well (fair warning).

This is after about a half dozen spray cans, and before I pulled the rear axle for its own rehab. I actually sprayed the whole thing down again before I put it all back together.

underside.jpg

I use body shotz. I think NPD carries it. Buy the $29.00 applicator if you can't borrow one. The assembly manuals tell you where it should be applied. I used Dupli-color bed liner prior to finding body shotz, it did well but not exact.

I use body shotz. I think NPD carries it. Buy the $29.00 applicator if you can't borrow one. The assembly manuals tell you where it should be applied. I used Dupli-color bed liner prior to finding body shotz, it did well but not exact.
I've heard of body shots. Also thought about the bed liner spray. Eastwood has a kit with applicator and screw on quart cans. The wand looks a bit cumbersome for lying underneath a car.

Thanks,

Dave

I used the spray cans from O'Reilly Auto Parts, and I used a LOT of them. The spray can stuff goes on pretty thin, and requires many coats to get anything that resembles undercoating... which equates to a LOT of cans.

I think I used something like 11 or 12 just for the floor pans, intermediate area, inside wheel houses, and trunk pan. It also still looks like I used a bunch of spray cans under there as well (fair warning).

This is after about a half dozen spray cans, and before I pulled the rear axle for its own rehab. I actually sprayed the whole thing down again before I put it all back together.
That's the look I'm aiming for. I used to have an old pressure gun that I used to spray Feather Fill on corvettes to block before painting. Probably would be great for spray in bed liner material but would do a lot of refilling the small cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of body shots. Also thought about the bed liner spray. Eastwood has a kit with applicator and screw on quart cans. The wand looks a bit cumbersome for lying underneath a car.

Thanks,

Dave

That's the look I'm aiming for. I used to have an old pressure gun that I used to spray Feather Fill on corvettes to block before painting. Probably would be great for spray in bed liner material but would do a lot of refilling the small cup.
Dave,

You need to invest in a rotisserie. I picked up a used one locally that is great. Has big inflatable tires that make it easy to get around. It was only $750 had the adapters for Camaro and Mustang along with both centering jacks. When you get it mounted you can turn with one finger. Laying on your back trying to clean the bottom and do work sucks I did that a lot.

Check local Craigslist and maybe place an WTB ad on cl. I get great responses from placed ads when looking for items.

David

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

You need to invest in a rotisserie. I picked up a used one locally that is great. Has big inflatable tires that make it easy to get around. It was only $750 had the adapters for Camaro and Mustang along with both centering jacks. When you get it mounted you can turn with one finger. Laying on your back trying to clean the bottom and do work sucks I did that a lot.

Check local Craigslist and maybe place an WTB ad on cl. I get great responses from placed ads when looking for items.

David
David,

Not a bad suggestion. I'm getting pretty close to having it stripped down that far. Not sure I have room in the garage for one. But you're certainly right about lying under the car.

Dave

Back