Ford Shop Manual Technical Info missing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
While reading the 73 (and 72) Ford Shop Manuals, I noticed that there's information missing about the distributors: what point settings, dwell, timing, etc. The 73 book points to a "performance manual", but it's not part of the FSM.

My question to y'all is: where does one find the tune-up data for these most beautiful red-headed children/horses? Am I overlooking something real basic? Have I lost my memory and/or marbles? Am I dyslexic?

It is on page 23-01-06 - 23-01-15 of my manual. volume 2 Engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need when I am back in town next week I can copy the pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was looking for was what distributors were used in what engines and what models. How does one know which dizzy is correct for each engine?

What I was looking for was what distributors were used in what engines and what models. How does one know which dizzy is correct for each engine?
Not sure if this what you are looking for but in the master parts catalog in section 120 has all the distributor applications by engine with the part number cross reference.

While reading the 73 (and 72) Ford Shop Manuals, I noticed that there's information missing about the distributors: what point settings, dwell, timing, etc. The 73 book points to a "performance manual", but it's not part of the FSM.

My question to y'all is: where does one find the tune-up data for these most beautiful red-headed children/horses? Am I overlooking something real basic? Have I lost my memory and/or marbles? Am I dyslexic?
They are in the AMA specs that you posted here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-73-ama-documents

For the 72 and 73 look at page 14, they have the distributor part number for each motor and transmission combo along with the tuneup data.

The 73 doc is easier to read so look at page 14 and 14A for all the ignition info you would ever want to know.

BTW thx for posting I use this manual all the time ;)

The AMA report is great that it is vehicle specific so you don't have to sort through all the car lines listed in the parts catalog. Once you have the engineering number listed in the AMA, you can cross it in the distributor ID chart in the Ford Parts Catalog and find all the part numbers you need. Although this is something everyone already knows, if the metal tag is missing, the ID number was also stamped the upper part of the distributor housing. Midlife, sure appreciate you finding and posting the AMA's for the 71-73 Mustangs. I had found the AMA report to put with my 72 Gran Torino papers, but had not been able to find them for my Mach 1's!

I don't remember where I found the AMA documents, but some folks on the Concours Forums were doing research on Mustang distributors and I offered to examine my shop manuals (I have a complete set for all years). The dizzy models were not in the Ford Shop Manuals, and then I noticed that the tune-up specifications were missing as well. That really surprised me. I always thought that relying upon the FSM would answer all of anyone's questions, but apparently not in the 72/73 time frame.

Back