Vozaday Build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 351C C6
Greetings, I first bought the 71 Mustang Grande when I was 22 as I had always wanted to build a Muscle Car. I had previously built an import car so I figured this would be much more fun. So for the last 8 years I have been working on this. The story starts that I picked up this car in California. I drove down and picked it up, bringing it back to Canada with me.

MustangOld1.jpg

MustangOld2.jpg

MustangOld3.jpg

Then I decided to do one component a year. So I started with interior, it was pretty rough and a mix of green, black and grey. So I painted the dash and trim, then found some old seats from a wrecked Mustang and upholstered them. Then installed new carpet, headliner, etc. It was nice because I was able to do everything myself. I then installed Clarion Head Unit, Type X components in the door and Type S in the back. I cut out the metal for the 6x9's and drilled tiny holes through the back deck cover, the speakers are nearly impossible to see but still have good sound.

MustangInterior.jpg

MustangInterior2.jpg

MustangInterior3.jpg

After that was some engine modifications. I went with a 270HR roller retrofit. Best money I have ever spent. I had valve float around 4800rpm, afterwords I have taken this engine up to 7000rpm. The power alone from reducing friction was worth it. I even replaced the thrust washer with a bearing. It has a 670 Holley Street Avenger, Performer Intake, Ignition Coil, Black Diamond headers, Boss Hog Torque Converter, Auburn limited slip.

MustangEngine.jpg

After that was Exterior. I decided to do the prep work myself, lots of work but was fun. The paint was the new water based paint, very expensive, $1500/gal and we went through 2 gallons just because the primer kept showing through. At the same time I decided to make it look a bit like a Mach 1. So I went with the Mach 1 hood and stripes. I also took this time to prep and paint the engine bay. Cleaned it up alot.

MustangPrep1.jpg

MustangPrep2.jpg

MustangPaint1.jpg

MustangPaint2.jpg

MustangPaint3.jpg

MustangPaint4.jpg

I like this image just because it shows the depth of the paint.

MustangBuilt.jpg

Here it is all assembled.

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang2.jpg

Mustang3.jpg

I am currently at suspension and traction. I went with Foose Legends rims and BFG Comp2 tires. Suspension is currently on order, so no pictures of it yet. But I am dropping the rear 2" and the front 1".

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4758.JPG

I will update once I get the suspension completed.

Looks nice. I have a 73 Grande and am doing it in stages as well starting with the drivetrain then will move onto the suspension before the bodywork. I am starting the process right now of a FMX to T-5 Conversion. Should be fun!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Can't wait for the new coils and shocks to get here. I also ordered some new engine mounts.

Looks nice. I have a 73 Grandé and am doing it in stages as well starting with the drivetrain then will move onto the suspension before the bodywork. I am starting the process right now of a FMX to T-5 Conversion. Should be fun!
I would love to do a transmission upgrade, I can't find a consistent number online but it looks like the C6 robs a lot of power. Was your car manual to start with?

I think it turned out great. It's even better since you did all of the work yourself.

So you love the 270 roller. How is it at idle?
I have the idle of my car set at 1100rpm, so not much lope at that rpm. It is a little too much cam for the torque converter as when I put it in gear it drops the rpm down to 600. It sounds amazing at 600rpm, awesome lope. I'll see this summer what it is like with the new torque converter. I did everything but paint, so I can't take credit for that. The engine I did have a coworker give me a hand.

In the rear, if you replace the shackles with standard ones you'll get most if not all of the 2" drop you are looking for and much greater lateral stability to the rear springs. When leaf springs are shackled up, the rear end can move side to side easier and maked the rear handling of the car much less stable.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/rubber-rear-shackle-kit-pair-1964-1973/p/RSK1P/?gclid=CjwKEAiA58a1BRDw6Jan_PLapw8SJABJz-ZWPegUskYqzXzvK-Z1r8-ZaJ3u2rxWui9OtkQFDbWp8RoCGr3w_wcB
Thanks! I can imagine that handling should improve in the rear end when it is lowered. The shackles I have are adjustable, so I'll try that first. But if it doesn't drop it enough I will be ordering a set. Actually I will probably order a set anyways, the adjustable ones would look pretty ugly with part of it showing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips for removing old bushings? The top ones in the frame for the shackles are cracking and I can't get them out.

Penetrating fluid and stabbing it was a screw driver works. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the greatest picture but here is the end result. The coils still need to settle. But dropped the back 2.5" and the front 0.5". So there is a 2.5" gap in the rear and 1.5" gap on the front. Oh and apparently American muscle has a sale on 1" wheel spacers. So I ordered 4, it should bring the tires right out the the fender. I have about 1.25" before the inner fender lip.

image.jpeg

Back