Vozaday Build

Decided to try and start it today. Got it to fire up but can't keep it idling for more than 3 seconds. But it starts every time. Fuel to the carb seems good. The only odd thing is that even after it dies I don't need to pump the throttle to start it again. And if I get on the throttle it still dies. The car as been sitting for 3 years so it is about time to clean the carb anyways.

I had a weird noise every couple startups and started to worry that I had fudged up the torque converter install, then I realized it was the starter not fully disengaging every time. Quick readjustment of the bolts solved that. Anyone else go crazy over their vehicle with every change? lol

1971 Mustang Grande, 351 Cleveland 2v, C6, 9"

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Weiand Xcelerator intake

-Long Tube Headers

-Boss Hogg "Street Bandit"

My Build

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car is looking really great much better without shackles. You said something a lot of people think Mach 1 hood and stripes. They could be on any model if you ordered them. There was a 71 model called a Spring Special pic attached of the ad.

You would need to add the black on the bottom to be like the car. To get the stripes you had to get the decor group and that got you the stripe the side chrome and black out below the chrome and Mach 1 grill.

David

Damn, we need time machines!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

Car is looking really great much better without shackles. You said something a lot of people think Mach 1 hood and stripes. They could be on any model if you ordered them. There was a 71 model called a Spring Special pic attached of the ad.

You would need to add the black on the bottom to be like the car. To get the stripes you had to get the decor group and that got you the stripe the side chrome and black out below the chrome and Mach 1 grill.

David

Damn, we need time machines!

For sure on the time machine. We thought nothing about being able to order up what we wanted. Our dealer use to get lots of strange requests with the NASCAR shops in town them. Gliders, sealer delete anything you wanted could be ordered. Still can today but cost you lots more. Back then the low volume cars were sold cheap not like today.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Now I'm stuck with a decision. I can either drop the front another inch and remove the front spacer, or keep the front the height it is and keep the spacer. Don't think I can have both at this point. I really want to drop it, but I really like the front stance. Decisions, Decisions.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Looks really nice after lowering and with the spacers on! :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is what drives a guy nuts. This is the third part that I had shipped to me from 3 different companies that sent the wrong part. Now I am in northern Canada so shipping is quite expensive and parts take 2-3 weeks to get to me. Oh well, next set off ill get around to installing the brake booster and master cylinder.

image.thumb.jpeg.53f8be98fe73a99e29b9bb9c2ce99293.jpeg

End rant. Lol

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Ok, question for you experts. I'm thinking of ordering a front and rear sway bar. I'm thinking 3/4" rear and 1 1/8" front. Would a 1" in the front be better? The car will not be used for a track or anything like that, just spirited driving. I have also read that these cars seem to handle best without a rear sway bar completely. So kinda unsure at this point. I don't really remember how the car handled since it has been 3 years since I have had it on the road.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

1 1/8 up front is good. I don't run a rear sway bar. I did have one on the car and it does keep it flatter in turns, but at the limit of traction the rear end seems to me to break free sooner with a rear sway bar. Good stiff springs in back and good shackles seem to make more of a difference than a rear sway bar.

I would not claim my selection is "right" but I like it and it is cheaper to add a rear bar if you change your mind than it is to add one, remove one, and be stuck with useless parts for the rest of your life. ;)

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

1 1/8 up front is good. I don't run a rear sway bar. I did have one on the car and it does keep it flatter in turns, but at the limit of traction the rear end seems to me to break free sooner with a rear sway bar. Good stiff springs in back and good shackles seem to make more of a difference than a rear sway bar.

I would not claim my selection is "right" but I like it and it is cheaper to add a rear bar if you change your mind than it is to add one, remove one, and be stuck with useless parts for the rest of your life. ;)

Thank you, that's pretty much what I have been reading. Seems like it reduces weight on the inside rear tire during an aggressive corner which means more wheel spin. I do have limited slip, but after the new shackles, coils, leafs (maybe 100miles since the leafs were installed), shocks, rims and tires the handling could be way better anyways. I'll start with the front sway bar and at a later date decide to if I want to play with the rear.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

• 2 weeks later...

Pinched o ring was the cause of the dipstick tube leak. Replaced it and added a good helping of rtv to make sure it is sealed up.

IMG_5697.thumb.jpg.9768ceba061532200e6da39d9750f0f8.jpg

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Welp, dipstick tube is leaking again. Guess i'm just going to replace the whole thing.

Oh and very glad I decided to replace engine mounts.

IMG_5721.thumb.jpg.e949f5c3f88a610b5a78da9454d80335.jpgIMG_5722.thumb.jpg.c6999fbeb29d38a982f067e8f6c5d8c4.jpg

All in all a good day. Other than the dipstick tube setback everything is done until the new parts arrive.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Sucks about the dipstick tube, but at least it is a easy and cheap fix.

That mount is fine, just goop it back together and put a bolt through it. lol

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Haha yup, just glad that the torn one was on the side that the engine rotates, if it was on the passenger side things could have gotten interesting.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

• 1 month later...

Thought I better update this with a couple pictures. It may not be running yet but at least it is clean.

IMG_6541.thumb.JPG.cdb5a24a82fb018ee8bd4b683dd06814.JPG

IMG_6547.thumb.JPG.90d6b3f6dac8a43171a0b67727d20272.JPG

And whats the point of having kids without the free child labour.

IMG_6538.thumb.jpg.0d9080e319ef9bc05349b0cbcb74772f.jpg

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Gonna be her car in 10yrs anyway so you better get it running and enjoy it soon lol. Looks great!

I like the look of your car ::thumb::

And the picture with your daughter is sweet... :)

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Thanks guys, the way that the sun reflects the paint absolutely blows my mind.

I'm not sure which kid will get the car, but one will. Then I will buy another project for the next kid and so on (expecting our third). After that I will probably be old enough, and tired of restoring vehicles, that I will just want a GT500 or something I can hop into and go.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Nice looking car.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

• 4 weeks later...

Went for a drive today around the subdivision. I think the torque converter is a little too high of stall as the engine revs up to 3500 rpm like nothing, but I love the sound of it.

Suspension: OMG! I didn't push it to the limits by any means but wow what a difference. The thing is pretty much like it is on rails and still extremely smooth for something with leaf springs in the back. Seriously impressed.

It felt awesome driving around in that thing again. Everyone was staring as I drove by. The cars stance is absolutely perfect.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Well took the kids for their first ride in the Mustang. They seemed to enjoy it.

One thing I noticed is that I've gotten old. Time to find a way to get rid of the 2500rpm drone and quiet it down a little. I've heard with long tube headers you will always have a bit of a drone but i'm going to try and find a way. Something like the flow master 50 series and resonators in front.

Anyways here are some pics from today.

IMG_6896.thumb.JPG.60274c970ed2dbd0d430dcb8aacf5822.JPG

IMG_6900.thumb.JPG.7a27d9baa6a68ff3c3e3b5fe04a01a91.JPG

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

Aaaaw, nice kids photo ::thumb:: :coolphotos:

And your car looks very good :bravo:

Your photo shows that our cars are able to put in two full size baby seats - experienced it too about two years ago by a test drive with my little nephew :)

Tim

Very nice. For some reason your daughter looks a little nervous. Is it your driving? :)

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Very nice. For some reason your daughter looks a little nervous. Is it your driving? :)

That's right, thought that too rofl

Tim