door panel repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmarlojill

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible, 351C 2v, Full restoration
I have a set of original deluxe door panels that I want to use but most if the clips holes have been torn thru on the back cardboard causing it not to hold the clips anymore. does anyone have a trick or experience on how I can repair the clip slots?

Velcro strips. Attempting to repair the original cardboard will be an extremely frustrating project. Unless you're going for concours restoration, few will notice.

Hi

I used epoxy and fiberclass - worked out prettty well.

Just scroll down to the pics with the door panels.

http://www.mustang-inside.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4198&start=70

Put on a new carpet on the lower area of the panels. The vinyl you can fresh up with some vaseline.

Just keep the panel straight and even when applying the epoxy.

greetings from Austria

Wolfgang

Hi

I used epoxy and fiberclass - worked out prettty well.

Just scroll down to the pics with the door panels.

http://www.mustang-inside.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4198&start=70

Put on a new carpet on the lower area of the panels. The vinyl you can fresh up with some vaseline.

Just keep the panel straight and even when applying the epoxy.

greetings from Austria

Wolfgang
I just looked through your entire thread, makes me want to brush up on my German! You have done a fantastic job with every aspect of your car that I saw and in a most professional manner. Are you a professional builder?

Double wow!!! I love the idea of building/assembling the front dash components on a stand/jig then installing as an entire unit in the car. I am definitely going to use (borrow ::thumb::) this piece of masterful ingenuity when I go to complete mine. The workmanship on your car is outstanding! Cheers.

Definitely do the dash assembly outside of the car. I made a simple 2x4 stand that worked fine from teardown to refinishing to reassembly. Makes the job a lot easier and this is how it was done in the factory. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands to help you load it back in the car. Do not have any other interior installed prior to re-installing.

P1010340.JPG

You lucked out I'm in the middle of restoring a set myself with the same problem. I've done it in the past as others have with super glue fiberglass etc. it worked but any future removal of the panel those areas always came back to haunt me. I've abandoned that method. If you want a permanent repair and at the same time having a perfectly straight panel that sits flush to the door try the way I do it now (Have done about 3 sets this way)

First step is to make sure the panel itself is 100% flat most aren't so the way we fix that is to thoroughly wet the cardboard where's it warped front and back.

I then lay on a flat board put another on top including any area that needs it. I then weight it down with tiles (set the tiles on foam for any area that is on the skin itself) I let set for 2 days.

Then fabricate a reinforcement panel from sign makers aluminum sheet. That then gets glued to the BACK with polyurethane construction adhesive using the same technique of boards and weights, make sure to rough up the aluminum where the glue will be applied. Permanent straight repair no playing games.

IMG_1770.JPGIMG_1771.JPGIMG_1772.JPG

Wow you did a great job!!!, Would you consider making another pair of those repair panels to sell. I have a 73 Convertible and my bottom behind the carpet is also messed up!!!

Back