429 headers that dont hang too low?

Does anyone know of a header that doesn't hang so damn low? I am running Crites headers currently but they're too low. Hooker headers I believe are about the same. I'm thinking a shorty style would be a good solution but I'm unable to find anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Does anyone know of a header that doesn't hang so damn low? I am running Crites headers currently but they're too low. Hooker headers I believe are about the same. I'm thinking a shorty style would be a good solution but I'm unable to find anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA) makes a mid-length header that works well.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

I tried Headmen and had the same problem so I'm back (and have been for a long time) to the original Ford cast manifolds, besides testing in the last couple of years have shown little or no performance improvement with headers vs. cast manifolds. That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck finding headers that don't hang so low.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

Fpa are great for the groundclearence as Tommy states. If I would be again in the situation that I haven't got headers I would go with custom headers. That's app. 15 hundred but worth of spending and you'll get all the goodies. If you're having good fabricator you're going to get good ground clearance, none so ever pipes under the frame&lower control arms and merged collectors.

I just put Doug Thorley long tube headers on my 72 Q code..great fit and great clearance

With 429/460 engine? If yes, then with what framemounts & enginemounts? Sounds too good to be true!

I just put Doug Thorley long tube headers on my 72 Q code..great fit and great clearance

With 429/460 engine? If yes, then with what framemounts & enginemounts? Sounds too good to be true!

My bad! Obviously I have a 351c. But I do believe he makes them for a 429

But I do believe he makes them for a 429

Nope.

If you drive an Olds powered front wheel drive motorhome or early Jeep Wagoneer, sure, they have 'em.

Not for the rare, elusive big block '72-73 Mustang, though :(

Has anyone purchased a set of FPA's recently for 429's? I did read a time or two in the past that they still needed a little whackin' on the left side for clearance (thinking it was the steering box).

Hopefully this was false info.

I for one refuse to whack on a new set of headers for clearance.

My street big block will remain installed on it's stand till I find a proper set, too.

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs

'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...

'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater - SOLD

'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor