Seat tear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoutds47

Reaction score
My Car
I recently purchased a 1971 Mach 1 in South Carolina. The car is equipped with the 351 Cleveland 2V, PS, Power disc brakes, Sports Interior, and A/C. She was originally Light Pewter Metallic with the black knitted seats. I will be doing a total restoration on the car
I recently bought a 1971 Mach 1 with the comfort weave sport seats. The back seat and driver's seat are in great shape, but the passenger's seat side bolster upholstery has separated from the seat bottom upholstery. The material is still in good shape, it just appears that the thread has let go where it is sewn together. My question is, has anyone ever had this sewn back together? I would like to keep the old upholstery because as I said, it is in good condition. Thanks for the help.

Depends on the extent of the tear. Take some pics and stop at a local upholstery shop. If they are friendly and interested, take the seat to them or drive the car over for them to check it out.

I've had some seats that separated like you describe re-sewn for very reasonable cost.

Just had the same issue on my Expedition. Took the seat upholstery off enough to hand sew the pulled threads, also tied off the two ends of the existing stitching. Hemp cord, it's available in the craft store, it's for making jeweler, necklaces and such. The needle's are a standard number 1. I just reused the existing holes to restitch.

I depends on if the stitches broke or the material tore either way it can be fixed. I picked up an original Ginger interior off eBay that he guy took off to put aftermarket on, crazy. They were perfect no tears like new for $66. for the front and $66 for the rear with the foam. If the material is torn you will need to bond a new piece to have something to sew to but you can do it.

David

Thanks for the replies! I may be able to do it myself, but I believe I will defer to an upholstery shop! I would like to keep the original upholstery if at all possible. I have heard that putting Vaseline on the vinyl will rejuvenate it to a degree. Has anyone else heard of this?

I have used armorall to rejuvenate Dashes and upholstery in the days when repo was not available. It took many heave applications (probably 50) and many months of soaking.

Please please do not put Armorall on anything. It has silicone in it and when you use it for long periods of time it will turn the plastic milky looking.

Armorall has caused many a paint job to have fish eyes.

An idiot took a bottle into the paint shop at the technical school and detailed his car. It got pulled into the filters on the down flow paint booth and they had to toss the filters and had to pressure wash everything to ever get the fish eyes to stop. It cost thousands to clean up. Never have silicone of any type in your garage.

Auto assembly plants would shoot you if you came in with a bottle of it.

I have used baby oil and also Vaseline but just wipe it on and back off. Also when going through the Harrah's Auto collection in Reno before it was sold. I saw a guy cleaning some seats. I stopped and ask him what he was using and it was Lexol a leather treatment. He said they used on all interiors vinyl or leather. He had cars that were original going back into the teens. He also said to never use Armorall.

David

Back