Towne Top Removable Hard Top 1964 1/2 to 68 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Some of you probably remember when I posted on the forum looking for one of the Towne Tops for my 65 mustang convertible. Over the last few months I located 7 of the tops 4 were for sale and I purchased 3 of them. Two of the tops I found are the black outside with the stainless across the rear of the top. I contacted Mr. John Murphy the most knowledgeable Mustang guy on these tops. He had searched for over 20 years and had only found three of them and Mustang Monthly did an article on them. There is also a Blog on Virginia Mustang about the tops with pictures. http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2008/03/mustang-towne-tops-hardtops.html

We talked for over an hour. Mr. Murphy has a 65 GT K code fastback, 66 C code convertible with a Towne Top and a 68 California Special. He told me he advertised for years in magazines and different places on the net without finding but three of the tops none of which were the Crown Vic style with the stainless across the top. He has the production records from the Dory Development Corp. in N.Y. that made the tops. The tops were sold by the Ford dealers. Each top has a serial number so he could tell me where mine originally were sold. The white top that I have without the stainless was check out to one of the salesmen and no record of where it went. One of the black ones went to TASCA Ford in Massachusetts. Known in the 60's for their racing. The other top I have not picked up so I don't have the serial number.

So I will be offering up for sale one of the black tops since I only need one black and one white for my two convertibles. This is by far the rarest accessory option for any Mustang. You do not have to modify the car in any way and just sits in place and two nuts put on studs in the front that go through the latch bracket holes and two nuts and clamps in the rear to clamp to the back. The convertible top stays in place. The tops have a vinyl outside covering and a headliner with a glass rear window. All the trim is either stainless or aluminum and present. The rubber seals are very simple and not complicated molded parts. The inventor applied for a patent for the seals. Mr. Murphy said he has had his convertible over 100 mph with his top in place and very quiet. It is also insulated so much quieter and warmer than just the convertible top.

I just sent SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon samples of the outside vinyl and also the headliner and they think they have that material in stock to restore the tops based on pictures they should get the samples in a couple days.

The addition of one of these tops to your convertible would certainly draw attention to your car at shows. Since it is a big part it does take two people to install and remove. Most people put a lift in their garage and leave it above the car. Lots of 55 - 57 T-Bird owners do this or have a roll around cart for it. The advertised weight of the top is 65 lbs. and is made of a fiberglass shell with redwood encased for fastening the trim and glass.

Along with the top I will furnish a copy of the original sales brochures, an original post card used to advertise and a copy of the installation instructions. Mr. Murphy can verify that the top is authentic.

There are new tops made and sold on eBay but they come as just the shell and you have to furnish the window, seals, trim, headliner and one version does not allow the trunk to open and sell for $2,500 or more.

I have attached a couple pictures of the top as is now. Just putting this out here first before going to eBay. I will probably do a full restore on the top if the material is correct and available. I do not have a price in mind yet due to not knowing the cost of the materials.

Thanks,

David

DSC_2036.JPG

DSC_2037 (2).JPG

DSC_2038 (2).JPG

DSC_2039 (2).JPG

DSC_2047.JPG

Some of you probably remember when I posted on the forum looking for one of the Towne Tops for my 65 mustang convertible. Over the last few months I located 7 of the tops 4 were for sale and I purchased 3 of them. Two of the tops I found are the black outside with the stainless across the rear of the top. I contacted Mr. John Murphy the most knowledgeable Mustang guy on these tops. He had searched for over 20 years and had only found three of them and Mustang Monthly did an article on them. There is also a Blog on Virginia Mustang about the tops with pictures. http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2008/03/mustang-towne-tops-hardtops.html

We talked for over an hour. Mr. Murphy has a 65 GT K code fastback, 66 C code convertible with a Towne Top and a 68 California Special. He told me he advertised for years in magazines and different places on the net without finding but three of the tops none of which were the Crown Vic style with the stainless across the top. He has the production records from the Dory Development Corp. in N.Y. that made the tops. The tops were sold by the Ford dealers. Each top has a serial number so he could tell me where mine originally were sold. The white top that I have without the stainless was check out to one of the salesmen and no record of where it went. One of the black ones went to TASCA Ford in Massachusetts. Known in the 60's for their racing. The other top I have not picked up so I don't have the serial number.

So I will be offering up for sale one of the black tops since I only need one black and one white for my two convertibles. This is by far the rarest accessory option for any Mustang. You do not have to modify the car in any way and just sits in place and two nuts put on studs in the front that go through the latch bracket holes and two nuts and clamps in the rear to clamp to the back. The convertible top stays in place. The tops have a vinyl outside covering and a headliner with a glass rear window. All the trim is either stainless or aluminum and present. The rubber seals are very simple and not complicated molded parts. The inventor applied for a patent for the seals. Mr. Murphy said he has had his convertible over 100 mph with his top in place and very quiet. It is also insulated so much quieter and warmer than just the convertible top.

I just sent SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon samples of the outside vinyl and also the headliner and they think they have that material in stock to restore the tops based on pictures they should get the samples in a couple days.

The addition of one of these tops to your convertible would certainly draw attention to your car at shows. Since it is a big part it does take two people to install and remove. Most people put a lift in their garage and leave it above the car. Lots of 55 - 57 T-Bird owners do this or have a roll around cart for it. The advertised weight of the top is 65 lbs. and is made of a fiberglass shell with redwood encased for fastening the trim and glass.

Along with the top I will furnish a copy of the original sales brochures, an original post card used to advertise and a copy of the installation instructions. Mr. Murphy can verify that the top is authentic.

There are new tops made and sold on eBay but they come as just the shell and you have to furnish the window, seals, trim, headliner and one version does not allow the trunk to open and sell for $2,500 or more.

I have attached a couple pictures of the top as is now. Just putting this out here first before going to eBay. I will probably do a full restore on the top if the material is correct and available. I do not have a price in mind yet due to not knowing the cost of the materials.

Thanks,

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back