What are your thoughts on chaining the cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
Has anyone tried to add some type of chain or something to keep their Cleveland from torquing in the engine bay?

Perhaps I have broken a motor mount. But if that is the case it just means if I replace it I will break the next one too.

I known when I really get on it my engine is rotating. I am thinking a chain would help. Has anyone done this? Where is a good mounting point on the engine and chassis?

Last edited by a moderator:
I chained the 69 302 mustang I had. I used a turnbuckle between some links

and locked the turnbuckle down where there was a bit of slack. I attached

it to the front of the engine and down to the frame/rocker in front of the

shock tower.

I need to do this on my 73 351C car but haven't got to it yet.

Paul

EDIT; I'm running a modified 72 mount on the drivers side that could rip.

Last edited by a moderator:
So does it matter where you attach to the engine? In my mind I see trying to get it somewhere close to the centerpoint, between the front and rear pistons but is this necessary? Perhaps something close to the rear of the engine is a better choise since the transmission is trying to torque too.

Some actually add a cnc cut aluminum plate to the front of the engine and have both sides solid. I don't have any pictures but remember seeing it at Bristol a lot.

When you get all that spongy rubber and movement out of the drive you will break much less. They use the rubber to make it ride smooth and quiet not to take the torque of a burn out.

David

Some actually add a cnc cut aluminum plate to the front of the engine and have both sides solid. I don't have any pictures but remember seeing it at Bristol a lot.

When you get all that spongy rubber and movement out of the drive you will break much less. They use the rubber to make it ride smooth and quiet not to take the torque of a burn out.

David
I found a set of the wrap around motor mounts. They are riveted units with metal wrapped around rubber. I think everyones original mounts broke. Mine are ford mounts, I thought I read here that they are from a 73.

I think you are referring to the 73 one year only motor mounts

that are a capture design to prevent the engine from leaving the

bay in the event of a collision?

Paul
Well I'd be a monkeys uncle. Someone was selling some today on this forum.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29248931/Boss302/IMG_2447.jpg

And to think I found mine is some parts I had laying around. Yes, the 73 year only are the ones.

Back