someone wants to buy my car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Had my taxes done at my accountant and the conversation discussed hobbies. I mentioned my Mach 1 and his eyes lite up. I felt he really wanted me to offer a selling price, but I just told him I would send him some pic's. He owned a 69 fastback and a 88 5.0. I know he has coin

but really haven't had enough enjoyment yet to sell.. Everything has it's price, but whats mine.

Alan L

Yeah its a hard decision to make. I was at a show last year and a guy wanted to buy my car. Told him it wasn't for sell. Just depends on how much you are attached to it.

Decide what insane value could pry it away from you. If he wants to give Boss 351 money for a Mach 1 - sell it!

Then go buy you a nice Boss (or whatever).

During boom times, I have seen some crazy deals go down. Some people with a lot of cash buy with emotion. They usually regret it later (severe buyer's remorse) but they put down the $$$.

Ray

Decide what insane value could pry it away from you. If he wants to give Boss 351 money for a Mach 1 - sell it!

Then go buy you a nice Boss (or whatever).

During boom times, I have seen some crazy deals go down. Some people with a lot of cash buy with emotion. They usually regret it later (severe buyer's remorse) but they put down the $$$.

Ray
I agree with Ray. I had a rich foreign guy who wanted to buy my 429 Mach 1 but at the time I did not want to sell. I regret not at least getting his contact information in case things changed down the road. Everything has a price and I had a strong feeling that had I names a price he would have bought the car and shipped it away to his country! Oh well, we live and learn.

if i got offered 35K for my car i would sell it instantly.

Well, I guess you won't really know your price until someone makes an offer that you'll either take or refuse.

It sounds to me like it's not for sale. Sharing pics, info, conversation, etc., is not buying or selling - it could be just as simple as the guy likes Mustangs, and you're someone he can relate to. Believe it or not, that's a big thing to a lot of people. I know when I mention mine, a lot of people have some warm & fuzzy memories associated with an old Mach 1 and seem captivated during the conversation.

I say not to worry about it until he gives you an offer or asks what it would take for you to sell it. It's all speculation until then. ;)

I know I will never sell mine. I can emphatically say that because first, I will never get an offer for anything close to what I have into it... and second, I wouldn't sell it for that anyway because it's just not worth that kind of money. Besides, I know the guy who put it all back together. :whistling:

I had some carpet recyclers come pick up old carpet out of the garage this last year. They saw the project Mach and asked if it was for sale. I said "Everything has a price" he asked if $10k would take it. I said No way! He said "what about $20K?" I said, not today. So he asked what I would let it go for. I told him for $40K cash I would let it go.

I still have the car, but I would have been happy either way.

Just my 2 cent opinion-Not until you see cash in hand and or the person spending time seriously looking the car over would I consider their words serious. It's usually just car guy talk.

I had a guy offer to buy my car last year at a show we were at. He was very interested but I kept telling him it wasn't for sale. He kept coming around ...saying I can have cash today. I finally gave in and said make me an offer..... he comes at me with a $12,000 offer. I laughed and said you better double that. Then he got all upset and said it wasn't worth that. Maybe not but no one is getting my car for $12,000. I have over $12,000 in the motor alone. But if someone made me a real offer on my car I would sell it in a heartbeat....... then start another project!! Half the fun is building them! Once I have my other garage built, I plan on tearing my car down again and doing it from the ground up. It should be ready for a makeover by then!

Until I got bushes grown up to hide the barn people use to bug me to death wanting to buy something. Sitting in the barn is my 73 Mach 1, 1957 Ford hardtop, 1956 Ford Club Sedan, 1965 Mustang convertible and two 1950 Ford Tudor Sedans. By the barn was 71 Maverick grabber, a 72 Mach 1 T-5 and 65 A code coupe.

Some guy from Michigan showed up one day with an F-350 dually and car trailer. He said he was there to buy the Mach 1. I told him it was not for sale and he said everything is for sale. I told him not this one. He offered $25,000 back in the about 1984. He had seen the car at MCA show in Atlanta the year before and got my address there. I just sent him on his way and told him I never bought a car to sell I bought them for me to enjoy & keep.

The millionaire neighbor is so pissed because I won't sell him one of the 65 convertibles he turned me in to county for having non registered and licensed vehicles outside. So now I have to pay for storage for them.

Some people think their check book rules the world but not always.

David

That is a sweet collection of cars. Congrats. The storage deal kind of sucks. Here in Iowa the vehicles must me kept parked on pavement if outside. Luckily I have a couple apartment complexes with extra garages in town. Wish I had more cars to put in them. :)

kcmash said:I had some carpet recyclers come pick up old carpet out of the garage this last year. They saw the project Mach and asked if it was for sale. I said "Everything has a price" he asked if $10k would take it. I said No way! He said "what about $20K?" I said, not today. So he asked what I would let it go for. I told him for $40K cash I would let it go.

I still have the car, but I would have been happy either way.

turtle5353 said:I had a guy offer to buy my car last year at a show we were at. He was very interested but I kept telling him it wasn't for sale. He kept coming around ...saying I can have cash today. I finally gave in and said make me an offer..... he comes at me with a $12,000 offer. I laughed and said you better double that. Then he got all upset and said it wasn't worth that. Maybe not but no one is getting my car for $12,000. I have over $12,000 in the motor alone.
Isn't it weird (and doesn't it suck) how people are warming up to our cars, but yet continue to completely undervalue them? The guy I bought mine from (in its rusted POS state so many years ago) thought he was selling a rare & valuable car, and was trying to get Boss 351 money for an H-Code - I negotiated him down to pretty much he only made his lunch and gas money back from the trip to where he got it from. Shortly after I got the chassis back in shape, had the driveline back in, and was getting close to ready for the body shop, he came by looking at my pal Gonzo's Camaro shell, and told Gonzo to tell me he'd give me $5000 if I wanted to sell it back to him. Yeah... right... I already had more than $15K into it (including purchase price + $8K in the engine alone!).

It's almost like they know they have to give up some respect, but the only way they can give a thumbs-up and still get a dig in is to offer an insulting dollar-figure. The hate for the '71-'73s lives on.

i should note at 35k I'm losing like another 80k that i put into my POS.

i should note at 35k I'm losing like another 80k that i put into my POS.
If I WAG'd on what I would've spent paying someone else for labor, I'd be in the exact same boat.

I know I will never sell mine. I can emphatically say that because first, I will never get an offer for anything close to what I have into it... and second, I wouldn't sell it for that anyway because it's just not worth that kind of money. Besides, I know the guy who put it all back together. :whistling:
Truff, that is me ......

Back