AM 8 TRACK wire connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Well my car came with that wonderful combination of AM/8 Track radio and I found this radio and believe it or not it works well sort of. Anyway the factory connections on my wiring harness have been snipped out a long time ago by the prior owner. I'd like to put this radio in my car and make it look right under the dash as well. I was wondering if anybody out there had those connections they could spare? I'm missing both male and female connections for the speakers. and the female for the power/light connection. I know this is wacky these radios suck but then I've never been accused of being anything but wacky when it comes to my car. Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct- you are a total whack job on the originality thing. That being said the next owner of your car should appreciate your tenacious desire to cling to originality. I think I might have some points off a distributor from 1972 :D

I would suggest Midlife also, as he is your best hope of taking your AM/8Track off life support and back with the living. The only spare wire harness I have came out of a 73. The idiot that owned the donor car had installed a K Mart looking radio, chopped the harness with a weed eater and taped the splices with plain brown masking tape. Good Luck!

You are correct- you are a total whack job on the originality thing. That being said the next owner of your car should appreciate your tenacious desire to cling to originality. I think I might have some points off a distributor from 1972 :D
How much you want for those points? just kidding. But now that you mention it.......no just kidding. I'm real happy with the petronix igniter.

I would suggest Midlife also, as he is your best hope of taking your AM/8Track off life support and back with the living. The only spare wire harness I have came out of a 73. The idiot that owned the donor car had installed a K Mart looking radio, chopped the harness with a weed eater and taped the splices with plain brown masking tape. Good Luck!
Sounds like the same guy worked on my car except the radio he installed came from Sears and robot.

I may have one complete stereo radio harness that runs from the radio plug to both sides, but not extending through to the doors. It has a funky plug, IIRC. This is the same harness as other Fords and Cougars use, so West Coast Cougar may be another source.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=D2W%20stereo%20radio%20harness for $65!!! Yikes! I need to get into the used wiring harness business!

If I have one, it'll run $25 plus shipping.
Yeah I had already seen that in the Cougar catalog. Those guys must have more money then us Mustang guys. I'll Email you

Midlife is the go-to guy for this stuff, closely followed by Don at OMS. Both are site advertisers/sponsors.
Thanks your right. I was just hoping somebody might have a spare they pulled out of a wreck or something. Don (OMS)and Randy (MIDLIFE) are SUPER when it comes this.

I attached a picture of the speaker wires for P.W car. I have set but it is a power window car and the wires going to the door are very difficult to find. The speaker wires are molded into same block that holds the power window wires. The black plug feeds into the door and the red one is from harness to speaker.

If you have P.W. and door speakers for AM/FM or AM/8Track then this would be the harness you need in the door. Drivers door would have the wires for the master panel also.

I have bought a couple AM/8tracks off eBay that actually worked for less than $100. They can still service them with new pick up heads, drives and belts.

I can remember blowing my speakers a couple times with Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, lol. Let me know if you need picture of the plugs for the radio and I will look for them. Sorry I can't sell the speaker wires separate from the P.W..

David

DSC_2041.JPG

I attached a picture of the speaker wires for P.W car. I have set but it is a power window car and the wires going to the door are very difficult to find. The speaker wires are molded into same block that holds the power window wires. The black plug feeds into the door and the red one is from harness to speaker.

If you have P.W. and door speakers for AM/FM or AM/8Track then this would be the harness you need in the door. Drivers door would have the wires for the master panel also.

I have bought a couple AM/8tracks off eBay that actually worked for less than $100. They can still service them with new pick up heads, drives and belts.

I can remember blowing my speakers a couple times with Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, lol. Let me know if you need picture of the plugs for the radio and I will look for them. Sorry I can't sell the speaker wires separate from the P.W..

David
I wish I had power windows. I'm waiting to hear from Randy He thinks he has a set. So you bought a couple of AM 8 tracks? PM me. Thanks.

I've changed my mind about this who thing. Yesterday I did a temporary install of this radio and it's SHIT I'm not going to put this piece of crap in my car. I'll keep looking for a better one and in the mean time I'll reinstall the am/fm I had in there. I'll keep this one maybe I can use it for parts or somehow fix it.

I've changed my mind about this who thing. Yesterday I did a temporary install of this radio and it's SHIT I'm not going to put this piece of crap in my car. I'll keep looking for a better one and in the mean time I'll reinstall the am/fm I had in there. I'll keep this one maybe I can use it for parts or somehow fix it.
You forgot to shim the 8 Track cartridge with a pack of Zig-Zag rolling papers or a book of matches!! :cool:

You know you do have to rebuild the 8-track tapes. The foam pad in the center that holds the tape on the pick up head goes away and the drive rollers also die. There is a web site that sells everything. It is a little tricky to get them open with all the snap pins.

You can do like Steve says also, lol. Most of the time if the player is playing it is the tape that is the issue they are getting old for sure. Google 8-track tape repairs and it will come up I think a gal owns the business. They sell belts and such also. Clean the head with alcohol and a q-tip and the turn the player on and clean the drive wheel also. You have to trigger the lever and fool the player into thinking a tape is in. Goo on the drive will cause it to eat the tapes which is always fun. You use to drive down the road and see them tossed out where they got ate, lol. Now you find CD's in the road.

Embrace the technology make it work. I have a player piano if you think the 8-track is bad get one of those. It is like a computer reads off and on through the holes and lets the vacuum work the keys.

David

I have seen several speaker wire sets on eBay recently. I also have an AM 8-Track system. Installed but not running right now. There are several guys that rebuild the radios and can also convert to modern electronic tuners and receivers but still utilize the same radio housing and display as original. Barry's 8 track on the interweb is a good place to start. He will get mine as soon as I have the funds.

http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/

Back